Tarp
    DIY Hex tarp
    Insulation
    Modded CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    Perhaps ill give old machines another try and look around. On Craigslist, I see hundreds of old machines but have no idea where to start as far as what is good and what is not worth my time. Any pointers? Name brands and Models to look out for?
    Necchi, Singer, Pfaff, Viking (now made by Husqvarna), Janome, Some of the older Sears/Kenmore machines are good and even some of the lesser known brands can have machines that are real gems.

Necchi Bu series machines are near bulletproof, almost anything Singer made pre 1970s is typically good if well maintained, Pfaff still to this day makes some of the most bulletproof machines, The Viking machines stand on their own merit, there is a reason they are still to this day one of the most beloved brands of machines.

Simply put just look and see what you can find, carry test scraps with you of various thicknesses and textures and give it a good run down. Normally bunching up of thread and other thread related issues on older machines are something as simple as adjusting thread tensions until it correctly feeds the thread you are using.
    Fulfillment is living a life that makes the lives of others worth living.
    DIY is addicting and fulfilling!
    "If guns kill people, then pencils mispell words, cars cause people to drink and drive, and spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat."

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wirerat123 View Post
    Necchi, Singer, Pfaff, Viking (now made by Husqvarna), Janome, Some of the older Sears/Kenmore machines are good and even some of the lesser known brands can have machines that are real gems.

Necchi Bu series machines are near bulletproof, almost anything Singer made pre 1970s is typically good if well maintained, Pfaff still to this day makes some of the most bulletproof machines, The Viking machines stand on their own merit, there is a reason they are still to this day one of the most beloved brands of machines.

Simply put just look and see what you can find, carry test scraps with you of various thicknesses and textures and give it a good run down. Normally bunching up of thread and other thread related issues on older machines are something as simple as adjusting thread tensions until it correctly feeds the thread you are using.

Thanks. I am planning to take whatever old machine I buy to a repair place and have it completely overhauled. Not even gonna give it a chance to drive me mad.

XTrekker,

I like the Singer Style-O-Matic 328K or you can look for the Singer Slant-O-Matic 400, 401, 500a, 501 ( the 500a and 501 are also called the Rocketeer ) and those are all metal geared and direct drive ( except the 328K which is belt drive but all metal gears ). They also change out the stitch patterns via a fashion disc but as pointed out all you will ever really need is the straight stitch. All the machines I listed will punch down through leather, heavy nylon or polyester straps without a problem ( just need to change the needle to a denim or leather needle ). I found my machine on craigslist and it came with the sewing table for $80 and all I have done to it was add a new electronic foot pedal.

I hope that helps
    Last edited by WickedKlown2; 06-27-2013 at 11:14.

Hammock
    DIY DigiCamo Hennessy Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Hex tarp
    Insulation
    Modded CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedKlown2 View Post
    I like the Singer Style-O-Matic 328K or you can look for the Singer Slant-O-Matic 400, 500a, 501 ( the 500a and 501 are also called the Rocketeer ) and those are all metal geared and direct drive ( except the 328K which is belt drive but all metal gears ).
    The Singer Slant-O-Matic 500a (Rocketeer) is still to this day touted as the best machine ever made. If you can find one, snatch it up! I had the opportunity to get one, and missed out on it last minute.

If I ever find one, I'm getting it!

"If guns kill people, then pencils mispell words, cars cause people to drink and drive, and spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat."

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    The Singer Slant-O-Matic 500a (Rocketeer) is still to this day touted as the best machine ever made...
    The Singer 501A is the same machine as the 401A in an updated housing. I would prefer a 401A because the 501A has problems with the top and end cover door hinges breaking.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I have an older machine right now. brand name Montgomery Ward. I think it's 30 years old. its almost driven me completely mad....
    .... and that it could actually feed material through it without the needle jamming up in the bobbin cradle(not sure the correct name). And never seeing another birds-nest again would be awesome too....
    I would start with the machine you have.

-Examine the hook (thing that spins around the bobbin and catches the thread) to make sure it doesn't have any burrs or rough spots from needle strikes.

-Examine the needle plate and make sure it doesn't have burrs or rough spots in the hole the thread passes through.

-Thoroughly clean all lint and snagged pieces of thread out of the mechanism.

-Oil as called for in the owner's manual.

-Check the manual and make sure the needle is turned the correct direction and the threading is correct.

-Use a new sharp needle the correct size for the thread you are using.

-Learn about thread tension and how to set it correctly.

-Learn about presser foot pressure and how to correctly adjust it for the material you are sewing.

-Use a straight stitch needle plate and presser foot for straight stitching.

If the problems still exist after these steps, a replacement or trip to the repair shop would be in order.

Hammock
    DIY DigiCamo Hennessy Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Hex tarp
    Insulation
    Modded CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    -Thoroughly clean all lint and snagged pieces of thread out of the mechanism.

-Oil as called for in the owner's manual.

-Learn about thread tension and how to set it correctly.
    These 3 things alone cleared up any bunching issues on my machine. In fact, just cleaning out the lint and old pieces of thread worked, but she started singing after a good oiling and a minor adjustment of thread tension.

Here's a example of a Singer 401a

How about the 404. Straight stitch only, but thats all thats needed?

Quote Originally Posted by WickedKlown2 View Post
    XTrekker,

I like the Singer Style-O-Matic 328K or you can look for the Singer Slant-O-Matic 400, 401, 500a, 501 ( the 500a and 501 are also called the Rocketeer ) and those are all metal geared and direct drive ( except the 328K which is belt drive but all metal gears ). They also change out the stitch patterns via a fashion disc but as pointed out all you will ever really need is the straight stitch. All the machines I listed will punch down through leather, heavy nylon or polyester straps without a problem ( just need to change the needle to a denim or leather needle ). I found my machine on craigslist and it came with the sewing table for $80 and all I have done to it was add a new electronic foot pedal.

I hope that helps

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    The Singer Slant-O-Matic 500a (Rocketeer) is still to this day touted as the best machine ever made. If you can find one, snatch it up! I had the opportunity to get one, and missed out on it last minute.

If I ever find one, I'm getting it!
    Just got off the phone with a Sewing repair shop and I told them about this model you mentioned and I asked them if I should buy it cuz I found one for sale and they said NO dont buy it. lol...I asked why and the lady said that on many of those models there is plastic gears in the bottom that break as well as other problems...She said to go for the earlier models. She also told me that my Montgomery Ward is a half decent machine and wanted me to bring it in to have them look at it for free. So I am on my way to the repair shop..lol funny how things turn out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast