Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images

Cuben Fiber Grizz Beak added to 2QZQ Website

Donna here...We have added the Cuben Fiber Grizz Beak to our website.

We will be offering 2 sizes.

One is available now. It is the standard size. The same size/shape as the Silnylon Beaks. This Cuben Beak weighs 1.8 ounces.

The other is sized to fit the Hammock Gear Cuben Hex tarp. This one is a bit smaller...thus priced accordingly. It weighs approx. 1.2 ounces. This Beak will be available soon. Yoda has one final (hopefully) fitting, and then we should have it available. This beak should also fit smaller silnylon tarps sized similar to the Hammock Gear Cuben Hex.

NOTE...Both these designs will only fit a cat cut/hex tarp. We will not be making Cuben Beaks for straight sided rectangle tarps.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Sweet gear - thanks for adding it to your product line!

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Another excellent option! Nicely done my friends!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Thanks guys!
    Donna
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Stock.
    Images

cuben beak question

I'm curious as to why they would only fit hex tarps and not rectangular tarps?

Also, do you have the dimensions of the beaks. I have some custom tarps and would like to know if it would fit those.

Thanks,

Matt.

P.s You guys did a fantastic job on my Hennessy a couple of years back. Never got to thank you then.
    Last edited by mbnow; 09-27-2013 at 20:21.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" -BR-.

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mbnow View Post

Also, do you have the dimensions of the beaks. I have some custom tarps and would like to know if it would fit those.

Thanks,

Matt.

P.s You guys did a fantastic job on my Hennessy a couple of years back. Never got to thank you then.
    Donna here...
    The Cuben fabric comes in a smaller width then the silnylon...therefore we can't make a Cubin Grizz beak for a rectangle tarp because the fabric isn't wide enough. Note: a rectangle tarp has straight sides...a complete rectangle...we have had customers unsure of the difference.

The standard sized Silnylon and Cuben Grizz Beaks will fit a tarp 10 foot wide or less.

And...Thanks! We are glad you are enjoying your hammock!
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Stock.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    Donna here...
    The Cuben fabric comes in a smaller width then the silnylon...therefore we can't make a Cubin Grizz beak for a rectangle tarp because the fabric isn't wide enough. Note: a rectangle tarp has straight sides...a complete rectangle...we have had customers unsure of the difference.

The standard sized Silnylon and Cuben Grizz Beaks will fit a tarp 10 foot wide or less.

And...Thanks! We are glad you are enjoying your hammock!
    Thanks for the quick reply.....

but my confusion hasn't been quelled yet.
    Aren't rectangular tarps all different widths?

Also, am I correct in saying that ANY tarp under 10ft wide( in straight line, ignoring cat cut) will be ok with the Beak? 10ft being 5ft from ridgeline to corner tie out.

Also do you have the dimensions of the Hex beak?

Sorry for so many questions ...2Qx5

MAtt.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" -BR-.

Thanks,

Matt.

Thanks for the quick reply.....

but my confusion hasn't been quelled yet.
    Aren't rectangular tarps all different widths?

Also, am I correct in saying that ANY tarp under 10ft wide( in straight line, ignoring cat cut) will be ok with the Beak? 10ft being 5ft from ridgeline to corner tie out.

Also do you have the dimensions of the Hex beak?

Sorry for so many questions ...2Qx5

MAtt.

I will take a shot at helping you with some of your questions---2QZQ please correct me if I am wrong in any of this....

There are two different sizes of cuben beaks made by 2QZQ, one is the standard size (same size as the sil ones) and the other is a custom size (made smaller to fit the cuben hex tarp). The standard size beak will work with a 10ft wide tarp, but the custom size one will be too small, but could potentially work with some added shockcord for attachment of the beak to the tarps tie outs.

Most cuben tarps for hammocking are made to the same width, which is 8.5ft wide. This is as wide as the tarps can be made due to the bolt width (there is a selvage edge per say that is cut off) so the 8.5ft is the most common width tarp for hammocks (HammockGear hex, Z-Packs Hex, Lawsons hex, MLD's hex were all roughly 8.5ft wide). Currently there is only one manufacturer (at the moment that I know of) that is making a hammock specific cuben tarp wider than 8.5ft and that is HammockGears winter palace, but that has built in doors so no beaks needed.

The beaks were designed to work with a hex tarp, and 2QZQ (well and Grizz) engineered them to function (pitch) properly and easily at the angles that a hex tarp provides (think of it like angles---90 degree angle, 45 degree angle and so on of the edges of the tarps at the end of the tarp). A rectangle tarp edges are all (well supposed to be) 90 degree angles, a hex tarp is not.

So in short they could very well work with a rectangle tarp (and I have been meaning to go out and test this with mine, as I have two of the custom beaks for my cuben hex and I own a cuben rectangle tarp to test it). But they may not pitch correctly at the leading edge (point) of the beak where the tie outs are. The angle may end up being too flat and not give the user a taught enough pitch at the point, so essentially the sides would end up flapping around if the angle was indeed too flat.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Stock.
    Images
    Thanks for the thoughtful reply Yoda!!

Yo-da-man?

So...

I think i get it now....

looking at the tarp from the side, a rectangle tarp's end point on the ridgeline is is 90degrees to the baseline.

On a hex the baseline tie-out is set back so the ridge line end point is more like 110 degrees or 120 to the baseline.

So i guess the rectangle tarp would cause the long point tie-out of the beak to angle upwards.

Either way, i know i need one!!!

Could someone possibly post a close up picture of the ridgeline connection point.

Thanks again.

Matt.

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Thanks for the thoughtful reply Yoda!!

Yo-da-man?

So...

I think i get it now....

looking at the tarp from the side, a rectangle tarp's end point on the ridgeline is is 90degrees to the baseline.

On a hex the baseline tie-out is set back so the ridge line end point is more like 110 degrees or 120 to the baseline.

So i guess the rectangle tarp would cause the long point tie-out of the beak to angle upwards.

Either way, i know i need one!!!

Could someone possibly post a close up picture of the ridgeline connection point.

Thanks again.

Matt.
    Donna here...on our website there is a video of Grizz putting the beak on several tarps....the HH Hex being one of them. There probably is a close up of the ridgeline connection point with one of the tarps.

A Big Thanks to Yoda for responding!!
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    2QZQ tree table!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast