Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ WD!, HG CF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie & Straps

What is your "Go To Tarp" for backpacking?

I am debating a new tarp. I apologize if these questions have been asked before, but I wanted to make the best use of my dollars while also being volume and weight conscious. I'd like to put together a versatile and weather adaptable system. Most of my packing now is done in the Southwest and occasionally up in to the Rockies in the summer. My current hammock is a 10' gathered end. I will carry my GG Gorilla, so weight and volume are important to me.

1) I wondered which tarp members prefer as a favorite tarp in their backpack throughout the year?

2) Why choose a particular cut? Would it be for ease of set up? coverage? or both?

3) Which tarp material is preferred in your pack? I am tempted by cuben fiber. Is it worth the extra expense?

4) Is it best to get a smaller, lightweight tarp and purchase add on doors or a Grizzbeak? How often do you use the additional tarp closure type accessories like doors or beaks?

5) Finally, if I were to purchase a WBBB and a sock, would a small tarp be sufficient in occasional driving rain or wind? Does the sock and small tarp save on weight and volume, or take up more room in my pack?
    There are two types of people in the world: Those who crave closure

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Tadpole all the way, I absolutely love this tarp! They are under $100, pack really small and provide great coverage over my 10 foot DIY and my Blackbird. I also have a HG cuben that is an awesome tarp the the Tadpole is so simple that I usally leave the cuben at home. I'm planning on picking up a grizz beak or something simlar just for a little more peace of mind in a strong storm. I have sat out in a few normal rain storms with the Tadpole in porch and it worked perfectly.

Last edited by dangerous; 06-27-2013 at 10:02.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
    1) I wondered which tarp members prefer as a favorite tarp in their backpack throughout the year?

2) Why choose a particular cut? Would it be for ease of set up? coverage? or both?

3) Which tarp material is preferred in your pack? I am tempted by cuben fiber. Is it worth the extra expense?

4) Is it best to get a smaller, lightweight tarp and purchase add on doors or a Grizzbeak? How often do you use the additional tarp closure type accessories like doors or beaks?

5) Finally, if I were to purchase a WBBB and a sock, would a small tarp be sufficient in occasional driving rain or wind? Does the sock and small tarp save on weight and volume, or take up more room in my pack?
    1. If only one, then it would be the Superfly; without hesitation. Easily my favorite all-around design.

2. I'm partial to a cat-cut hex design. Everything just sets up so tight without anything flapping; I like that! Another score for the Superfly with it's heavily reinforced ridge seam. A close second would be an aysm-diamond, but I miss the ridge-seam.

3. Cuben is worth it if you travel long distances on foot, not so much for a weekend warrior. There are some advantages beyond weight, but they are fairly minor. If you've got the funds for it, go for it. Otherwise, sil is still a top performer and can be had at a fraction of the price. I sure do miss Spinn.

4. I don't like add-on stuff with my tarps, so I'll let someone else answer this one.

5. I've been through massive storms (in Florida) with just an old Hennessy Hammock rain napkin (fly) and my quilts stayed dry. Big tarps are nice, but don't let folks convince you that they won't work. It simply isn't true. Large tarps are still relatively new in the hammock world and we still camped before them with our little tarps. They do require more effort on your part, but they work just fine at keeping the sleeper dry. Larger tarps are needed only if you don't want to spend all of your time in camp sleeping, which is the case for the majority of us.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dl
    Tarp
    WB Edge or SF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB web or whoopies
    Images
    My WB Edge is my default option as it is my onl tarp. I love it though as it gives me plenty of coverage for only 10oz. I use my poncho to make a third wall/grizz beak if it seems overly windy.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I carry my tadpole on almost every backpacking trip I take. It's awesome.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ WD!, HG CF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie & Straps
    Great information so far! Thanks for the pics. I've got the Edge and Superfly on my list, but had forgotten about the tadpole! Its now added to my short list....price and size seem right.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    In my opinion on Cuben being worth the expense, Absolutely! I use the HammockGear Winter Palace year around. It has full coverage, doors and mine comes in at 10.2 ounces. If you do not want the coverage simple tie back the doors and throw it out in porch mode. It is a perfect size tarp and weighs next to nothing. Very durable and strong.
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ WD!, HG CF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie & Straps
    Do Cuben Fiber and Silnylon pack down to about the same size?

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Cuben is a little "stiffer" so they both will pack to about the same size but cuben is much lighter. I've often thought have a cuben tadpole made.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I like my HG Winter Palace. Same basic dimensions as a Superfly, but 8.5 ounces. I want doors; I need doors. Why deal with wind and blowing precipitation if you don't have to?

If I didn't own the Winter Palace, I'd buy the Superfly. Because I like doors.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast