Wilderness Logics Lite Owl 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Thermarest neo air
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Wild Azalea trail

Hey y'all!Been awhile since I've been on! Was planning on taking a mountain biking trip on the wild azalea but I can't seem to find exactly where the trailhead is located. Can anyone give me better directions than west southwest of Alexandria as it states on their website? I'll be coming from Baton Rouge.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Sorry I was on vacation last week or I would have answered this. Which trail head are you trying to get to. The start of the trail is at Lake Valentine. The end is near the town of Woodworth. It is no longer at City Hall in Woodworth as City hall has a gated fence that is closed at night and on weekends.
    To find the end you get off 49 at the Woodworth exit. You stay on 3265 heading into Woodworth the entire way. The road becomes Castor Plunge Road. A few miles down the road turns to dirt and to the right you will see a kiosk. this is the end of the trail.
    To find the beginning you follow all the same directions until you get to the dirt road. Follow the dirt road for half an hour until you get to the highway 488 and a stop sign. Turn left and go to Lake Valentine Road. Follow signs to Lake Valentine. Head all the way down the Lake road, it will finally meet with Burrough Cemetery Road but it will be blocked by a pipe gate. Take a right at the pipe gate and the trail head will be on your left.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    Sorry I was on vacation last week or I would have answered this. Which trail head are you trying to get to. The start of the trail is at Lake Valentine. The end is near the town of Woodworth. It is no longer at City Hall in Woodworth as City hall has a gated fence that is closed at night and on weekends.
    To find the end you get off 49 at the Woodworth exit. You stay on 3265 heading into Woodworth the entire way. The road becomes Castor Plunge Road. A few miles down the road turns to dirt and to the right you will see a kiosk. this is the end of the trail.
    To find the beginning you follow all the same directions until you get to the dirt road. Follow the dirt road for half an hour until you get to the highway 488 and a stop sign. Turn left and go to Lake Valentine Road. Follow signs to Lake Valentine. Head all the way down the Lake road, it will finally meet with Burrough Cemetery Road but it will be blocked by a pipe gate. Take a right at the pipe gate and the trail head will be on your left.
    Sounds like you've done this trail before.

Can you only do half of the trail? As in get someone to pick you up at the halfway point.

I am thinking of bringing my boys this fall but don't think they are ready for the full 30 miles. I would like to do 5-8 miles camp, then another 5 miles or so next day. I realize we could turn around after breaking camp in the morning.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Veries
    Insulation
    arbridge UQ, & OTH
    Suspension
    Cinge Bukles
    Images
    speaking of which any plans in the works on the LA winter hang yet??
    hang your own hang
    Bayou Serenity

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    Sounds like you've done this trail before.

Can you only do half of the trail? As in get someone to pick you up at the halfway point.

I am thinking of bringing my boys this fall but don't think they are ready for the full 30 miles. I would like to do 5-8 miles camp, then another 5 miles or so next day. I realize we could turn around after breaking camp in the morning.
    I have been on this trail many times. Just did end to end this February. You can absolutely do part of the trail. I would recommend if your going to do that with your boys I would recommend doing sections 2,3, and 4 then 5 the next day. This will give you and the boys the chance to see the best part of the trail. For me this was section 2 to 3 then 4 to 5. Best of luck to y'all, it is a fun trail to walk. Granger and I did it in two days. Fourteen miles the first day then 10 in the pouring rain and freezing cold the next.

PS. Water is plentiful. I didn't carry more than a half a liter or less the entire trail. I do camel up at water sources so that helps.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nsdemon View Post
    speaking of which any plans in the works on the LA winter hang yet??
    Yes, we have been talking about it for a few months now. Gonna start a thread soon.

Images
    Great trail, Willie,

I did part of it with my son this past winter. We base camped in Kincaid Rec Area and bike over to the trail. There is a great loop trail at Kincaid, that will connect you indirectly to the Wild Azalea also.

swank

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Veries
    Insulation
    arbridge UQ, & OTH
    Suspension
    Cinge Bukles
    Images

yea

Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    Yes, we have been talking about it for a few months now. Gonna start a thread soon.
    im super excited about it been walking more at night now so i can hike more of the trail this time.
    hang your own hang
    Bayou Serenity

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Lite Owl 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Thermarest neo air
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Hey guys, thanks for the replies! A buddy and me just drove to Alexandria and and found the first sign for the national forest and turned in. I found a post online about starting at the Lake Victoria area but unfortunately the bridge leading there was out! We decided to start at the Kincaid lake area instead. Fantastic trail!! We were very satisfied. I'm very happy that we have something like that herE in Louisiana. Was getting tired of the chicot trail. What trailhead is the best to start at it if you're trying to find the clear water bayou with waterfalls?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOTGUNWILLIE225 View Post
    What trailhead is the best to start at it if you're trying to find the clear water bayou with waterfalls?
    Ha you in the wrong state for waterfalls my friend. Now if you go right past Angola into Pond, MS. then you can check out waterfalls.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast