WLLO
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE NR UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies

Two DIY projects

I'm looking at making a couple of synthetic TQs, and a sil tarp. So i am looking for some guidance from you diy-ers, and even those who are not.

Synthetic TQs: I'm going to use climashield apex. Is it as simple as putting down a layer of ripstop, then climashield, then ripstop, and sew it all together? I'm also looking at having the temp range around the 30s, so I was thinking of using about 6oz of climashield. Is that enough?

Sil tarp: I'm going for an 8x10 simple rectangle tarp. Is it as easy as sewing everything together, seem sealing everything and calling it good? Not sure how big of sil panels I can get, but I imagine I'll have to sew two panels together.

Sorry for the long post, and I'll answer any questions you might have. Also, mods: if this should be in two separate posts, feel free to separate them, or let me know and I will.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bkautzman89 View Post
    I'm looking at making a couple of synthetic TQs, and a sil tarp. So i am looking for some guidance from you diy-ers, and even those who are not.

Synthetic TQs: I'm going to use climashield apex. Is it as simple as putting down a layer of ripstop, then climashield, then ripstop, and sew it all together? I'm also looking at having the temp range around the 30s, so I was thinking of using about 6oz of climashield. Is that enough?

Sil tarp: I'm going for an 8x10 simple rectangle tarp. Is it as easy as sewing everything together, seem sealing everything and calling it good? Not sure how big of sil panels I can get, but I imagine I'll have to sew two panels together.

Sorry for the long post, and I'll answer any questions you might have. Also, mods: if this should be in two separate posts, feel free to separate them, or let me know and I will.
    As to the quilts: yes, it really is that easy with Climashield. As long as you get your dimensions correct the first time 'round, Climashield is a very forgiving material to work with.

As to temp rating, the equation to figure out the insulation needed is: 70 - Target Temp = 14 * CLO * Weight/Sq Yd (in ounces). So:

70 - 30 = 14 * 0.82 (cribbed from here) * X
    40 = 14* 0.82 * X
    40 = 11.48 * X
    40 / 11.48 = X
    X = 3.48

So, you need (roughly) 3.5 oz/sq yd APEX to get to 30* if you're wearing a base layer to bed (if not, the initial equation changes to 84 - 30 = 14 *0.82 * X, which works out to ~4.36 oz/sq yd). Note that this assumes everything else is perfect (i.e.: neither "hot" nor "cold" sleeper, humidity perfect, no wind, no drafts, not dehydrated or calorically deficient, etc.), so a good rule of thumb is to round up to the next whole number (so 4 oz/sq yd if wearing a base layer to bed and 5 oz if not).

I second gmcttr's suggestion of the DIY Gear Supply tarp plans. Those're invaluable. As to the difficulty of a tarp, it's not that hard as long as you have your panels cut to the same size and pin them before seaming. Personally, I really like putting LineLoc 3s on the guyouts; they allow you to adjust your tarp without getting more'n your hands wet.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    If you have not done any DIY sewing projects then I suggest that you practice by making some stuff sacks as the sewing skills needed to make the stuff sacks are the same/similar to those needed to make a TQ or tarp. Much better to mess up a stuff sack than the tarp or TQ
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    If you have not done any DIY sewing projects then I suggest that you practice by making some stuff sacks as the sewing skills needed to make the stuff sacks are the same/similar to those needed to make a TQ or tarp. Much better to mess up a stuff sack than the tarp or TQ
    I just got a machine a month ago and this is good advice. I did a ton of sewing of various small projects just to practice before making a tarp. Quilts are next.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WLLO
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE NR UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies

Re: Two DIY projects

Thanks everyone. I am pretty handy with a sewing machine, but I know a couple people who are better. I checked out the site and it was very helpful. Now I just need to get around to buying the material. Hopefully this thread will stay alive for a while and be helpful for anyone who is new or just starting DIY.

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop nylon
    Tarp
    DIY sil argon
    Insulation
    DIY syn UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I'm not exactly sure what FLrider was saying with all of his technical jargon (I'm just not that smart), but I have made a climashield topquilt and a silnylon hex tarp (not a rectangle, but not that much different).

1st the topquilt, I used 5oz climashield Apex from thru hiker and 1.1 ripstop. I am very happy with my quilt and it comfortably takes me down to 40 degrees with long johns on. After that I would use hand warmers, and a sit pad under my feet to take me to 30 (this is with a 5oz climashield underquilt).
    My cousin and I modified that design
    http://backwoodsdaydreamer.webs.com/...mmer-top-quilt

For the tarp I would say just decide your length and multiply it by 2. Then use the flat felled french seam in this diagram to sew them together http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/d...sewing-skills/ That also shows you how to do the tie outs. I reinforced my corners and found that to be the most challenging part it was very time consuming
    Last edited by jrs62284; 06-30-2013 at 22:53. Reason: not sure why the link for the top quilt isn't populating

• + New Posts