DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Right now I have 2 10ft guys bowlined to my ridge tie outs. I wrap around the tree and do tie a slipped taut-line hitch.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    I use 5' tree huggers on each end made of mule tape secured by small carabineers.

The center ridge line goes, then, through another set of mini carabineers. On the end that I put up first it is lark's headed to the tarp, goes, through the carabineer on that end, back under the tarp to the carabineer on the other end, and then is cinched and secured by a Dutch Stingerz on the tarp's loop there, dehoja-style. Left over ridge line is wrapped on a painter's stick cut in half with V notches in the ends.

My ridge line is 50' long (1.75mm Lash It) because I want to have enough for long spans and big trees. If the tree eats up five feet of hugger then I'll have line that can make up the difference.

The picture below shows orange sheathed spectra before I switched to the Lash It.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    What is the minimum pitch between trees that you can set up your tarp? Assuming you hung from 2 8" diameter tree's you'd have 3ft of hugger on each side to eat up before you can attach your tarp.

Maybe that's not a huge issue, but the more versatile my set-up can be, the more sites I can select from.

My hammock minimum pitch is about 12ft. I'd like the tarp to match that.

I suppose you can always bite the bullet and forgo the straps, but I don't see that as being environmentally responsible.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    What is the minimum pitch between trees that you can set up your tarp? Assuming you hung from 2 8" diameter tree's you'd have 3ft of hugger on each side to eat up before you can attach your tarp.

Maybe that's not a huge issue, but the more versatile my set-up can be, the more sites I can select from.

My hammock minimum pitch is about 12ft. I'd like the tarp to match that.

I suppose you can always bite the bullet and forgo the straps, but I don't see that as being environmentally responsible.
    I'd just keep wrapping strap until it was all gone or more than gone. By then a length of 1.75mm line would rub the strap instead of the bark.

My tarp is 9x10. Pitched asymmetrically it is 13.45 feet but I have those other dimensions to make it shorter. Hammock hangs at 9 feet.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12