DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images

Thinking about tarp tree-huggers

Intro:
    I've been thinking about my tarp ridgeline lately, and how I can protect the tree's I attach it to. My ridgeline and guy-lines are all 1.2mm Z-Line. It's a spectra sheath with dyneema core, and somewhat abrasive. I also worry the very small diameter will dig into tree bark and cause damage over time.

I know a lot of people don't worry about the tarp causing damage, but from reading here it seems like many have reported damage to tree's from their tarps cordage.

I'm also concerned a park ranger will take offense to the line directly on the tree on principle. It make sense to protect tree's many people will potentially hang from, as damage over time can accumulate. And I'm all for encouraging practices that make us appear an environmentally conscious group.

My Problem:
    I currently use a marlin spike hitch on my hammock tree straps, but I don't really trust that for my tarp. The tree straps need to be long enough to get around the tree, but not so long you need extra space to hang your tarp. Basically they need a way to adjust to tree size.

Theoretical Solution:
    My idea is to create straps from either 7/8" or 5/8" grosgrain. Sew a fixed loop into one end, and feed the other end through, just like hammock straps. Here's the key, instead of using a marlin spike to create an adjustable attachment point, use a tensionlock style strap adjuster to create an adjustable attachment point.

Let me know what you think,or other solutions for tarp tree huggers!
    Last edited by Boston; 06-28-2013 at 10:34.

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I think I have heard about people running their tarp line through a piece of hollow tube (the tube is big enough to cover the contact point with the tree). This helps to pad the narrow tarp line against the tree and with a continuous ridge line setup it lets you move the tarp without "sawing" the tarp line into the bark.

Do you use a continuous ridge line? If not another idea might be to figure out a way to splice some webbing into the middle of the line. Maybe use a water knot? Or perhaps a sewn webbing loop joined to a eye splice in the Z-line? It would look something like:
    Z-line - knot? - webbing - knot? - Z-line
    Then when you tie out make sure the webbing is one the back of the tree. You could use a prussik on one side and a figure-9 on the other end of the line at the tarp connection. You need both ends adjustable so you can get the webbing centered...

Here is my poor MS Paint drawing:
    Last edited by Tim_807; 06-28-2013 at 10:36. Reason: Made a drawing.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Insulation
    KAQ; MAMW
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I was thinking about this last night as I was staring at my daughter's Croakies, which have a flat portion of neoprene with tubes at each end to thread onto the glasses. It seems like you could thread the line through the two openings, leaving the flat portion to rest against the tree. I think one would be enough on each end, regardless of the size of the tree since the rest of the line will be somewhat raised given the height of the neoprene. I get some cordage from Dutch today and after I make a CRL, I'll try it out.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    My problem with using a sheath is it isn't adjustable to the size of the tree, so you could potentially have too much sheath, causing issues with hanging a short distance between trees, or too little and still damage a tree.

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Hmm, I kind of see what you mean about having too much "sheath." What about still tying a marlin spike hitch in a tree strap but use a carabiner instead of a spike? Then instead of looping over the knot you could clip the tarp ridge line into the carabiner using a eye splice.

Or if you could find a figure-9 with a big clip/hook (like this http://goo.gl/rYl2k). You could use the figure-9 to tie the marlin spike hitch and then just lash the Z-line to the figure-9 which would make the tarp adjustable at the tree instead of at the tarp tie-out.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I've heard of people putting some small rubber tubing on their line to help distribute the line pressure. (like weedeater fuel line, or O2 line or something) Just a thought.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I have seen rigs using 1/2 nylon straps with appropriate hardware in lieu of any cordage. Ladder lock or side release buckles could be attached to the tarp and the webbing around the tree and then directly to the tarp. I have considered this as well as it does seem to minimize any potential impact to the trees. I can think of a number of creative ways to do this, just a thought.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Curious as to why you trust a MSH to hold you but not to hold a tarp. It would always be under tension so it shouldn't slip off the knot and even if it did, the toggle should be strong enough.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Curious as to why you trust a MSH to hold you but not to hold a tarp. It would always be under tension so it shouldn't slip off the knot and even if it did, the toggle should be strong enough.
    Mostly just the idea of it slipping off the knot especially during set up in windy conditions, or being difficult to set up in general.

I'd also like to avoid another toggle to carry too, if I can.

I think I'll cannibalize a backpack for a ladder lock this weekend and see what I can come up with.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Mostly just the idea of it slipping off the knot especially during set up in windy conditions, or being difficult to set up in general.

I'd also like to avoid another toggle to carry too, if I can.

I think I'll cannibalize a backpack for a ladder lock this weekend and see what I can come up with.
    True about set up in wind. How is your tarp ridgeline adjusted?
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast