Thread: I'm In Now!

Hammock
    Shug's Custom DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down Quilts

I'm In Now!

I feel like I can finally post in the hammock forum now. Thursday night I went camping in a nearby state park with two others and slept in a hammock!

Well I'm using the term "slept" pretty loosely. I really don't think I did much sleeping and when I did I was dreaming about laying in the hammock not being able to get to sleep. It was a very strange night. Not due to discomfort though, I loved hanging. I always have trouble sleeping on the trail on the first night. I think I'm just too excited about being out again and on this trip I had a lot to be excited about.

First of all this was my first time in a hammock. Recently I had wanted to try out hammocking but the expenses were getting to be too much. My dear friend and avid hanger Shug came to my rescue and mailed me one of his custom designs. Yes, yes, yes I was in a Shug special! He knows what he is doing. It was very comfortable but I think it was just too exciting for me and I couldn't wind down.

Also I'm experimenting with this hammock to start using it for week long hikes on the AT. I get pretty excited when I start thinking and planning for the AT hikes too. Also I was cooking dinner for our Cub Scout pack the next evening. Prepping a meal for 130 people was weighing on my thoughts as well.

I think all of that was hindering my rest but I think I'll be fine. The hammock was very comfortable and whenever I got out I didn't have that stiff-body feeling that can come with sleeping on the ground. My two buddies were on the ground and one of them was very stiff and he had been on a cot! Anyway after spending a week on the AT I'll bet I can get a good nights sleep while hanging.

I'm looking forward to telling Golden all about it Thursday over a cigar while we podcast.
    Rylan

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Welcome to the forum Rylan! Sounds like Shug has you on the right path.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    2 Warbonnet BlackBird & Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SF+
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Welcome Rylan

Excellent, another 'Bama hanger. Welcome to the trees!

Hammock
    DIY Speer type,double 1.7blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    winter pheonix
    Suspension
    webbing
    Nice to hear Ryan, That shug is a gentleman, and a scholar. He's directed me to Hammockforums. I only came across his videos accidently. Man since then I purchased a speer winter tarp,and ordered a Blackbird. All after I made a very comfy hammock I might add from shugs direction to jeffs page. THANKs AGAIN SHUG !!! It's like he's leading a horse to water and everyone finding out. They get here and say why didn't I think of that before.
    SEE YA,
    TY

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yeah Rylan ....... glad you got out in it. Give it some time and you will never come down. Might take a wee bit more time and even some other hammock types. Can't wait to hear about it on the podcast!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    RYlan,

Welcome to the hanging gang..... Your off to a great start, with a hammock mentor....

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Rylan,

as a fellow newcomer to this I would like to say hello and welcome. Where are you located in AL.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Shug's Custom DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down Quilts
    Other Alabama folks: I'm in Auburn. I would say War Eagle but that's kinda embarrassing right now!

Shug: Watched your latest video on my iPhone today and hoped I would see you here!

Anyone nearby: Join Golden and myself every Thursday evening with a backpacking discussion and a cigar. We podcast it at SouthEasternBackpackers.com and are available on iTunes.

Hey, they beat LSU in basketball....grrrrr

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast