Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

tweaking for the sweet spot

Im playing with a new system. Talk about getting in and out..in and out.. tweak this.. straighten that. Sure is a fun way to get my aerobics in. Even with my main usual set up I have to at least reset a couple of times each time. Anyone ever get your system down to where you do it right the first time all the time or am I normal?

So far, I haven't. Been hanging for 5 years now. Darn trees are never the same distance apart! That and I seem to have problem determining if the ridgeline is the way it should be. I guess I need one of those line levels.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    That's what most people use ridgelines for. Find the lay, add a ridgeline and the adjustments are much easier to do, if you even need them.

I must not need a perfect setup - I rarely, if ever, adjust once I set up. As long as I don't have "banana back," I'm OK. Either that, or I just get extremely lucky every time I set up.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    I was thinking about how I get settled in. I always look for the HH slit "patch" to orient myself in the hammock. Sometimes when I'm getting in, I am off center...but the wrong way...and need to move over to be on the right diagonal. After that, everything just comes together. I have shock cords across my snugfit that lock the quilt to the hammock and after they are fastened, don't wake up til morning!
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    That's what most people use ridgelines for. Find the lay, add a ridgeline and the adjustments are much easier to do, if you even need them.

I must not need a perfect setup - I rarely, if ever, adjust once I set up. As long as I don't have "banana back," I'm OK. Either that, or I just get extremely lucky every time I set up.
    Could it partly be due to the design of the BB as well? I'd imagine the footbox give's you a bit more leeway on the range of sag you can setup with.

Images
    About the only trouble I ever have is if setting up on a hill, I may not get the foot end as high as it should be, or I might get it too high. Even this is rarely a problem, I can usually get it right more often than not. But lately using the BMBH has added a new learning curve since it is designed to start with the head about 6" higher than the foot end, just the opposite of all my other hammocks. So I m still learning how to judge the correct foot/head height relationship on this hammock. And regardless of hammock, it can be trickier on sloping ground. Hence, about 1AM or so last Sunday morning in the Sipsey snow, with my head uphill and my foot end down hill, I woke up probably cause I had to take a leak. Only to realize I was A: sliding towards the foot and B: just a little cool on top. So I put my Marmot hood on, and moved the foot end about 3-6" higher on the tree, it all took a minute or two. Back in the sack to snooze toasty and super comfy until about 0730, staying put in the comfort zone where I belonged.

My Claytor No Net always was quick to set up, as any thing short of extremes sag wise seemed to work oK, as long as I got the foot just a bit higher than the head. And ditto my HH, as long as the foot was high enough and the RL at least moderately tight, all was A-OK. My Speer might be a bit trickier sag wise.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-07-2009 at 21:01.

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    I get the drop angle on the Speer close enough every time but often one end is a tad higher ... that's fine cuz I don't mind if my feet are a tad higher.

I'm so easy my wife says it's a good thing I wasn't a girl.
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

• + New Posts