Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: WBBB XLC 1.7 DL - A Noobs Prespective

Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    Depending on how tall you are, your feet typically aren't up against it. If you lay in it the way recommended by Warbonnet (foot end hung higher and shifting your body more toward the head end of the hammock). Unless you're pretty tall, it wouldn't be an issue.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion and shouldn't ever go with a hammock you aren't comfortable with - just wanted to clear it up as a great choice for many folks.
    I know I would rip it to shreds. But cool idea for those gentle folks who want a view.

Images
    We will make an XLC with a solid fabric footbox on request, but the net ones seem to be doing fine so far. Generally that fabric is above your feet, in addition you should be able to position yourself such that your feet aren't pressing into the netting at all, there should be plenty of room to do that.

I'm kinda confused about all the concerns over this honestly... because most(all?) of the netted hammocks i've ever tried or seen (every single model of netted end-gathered hammock that i know of on the market... besides the standard blackbird anyway) incorporates mosquito netting that is attached directly to the edge of the hammock body at your feet (normally attached all the way around the edge of the hammock body) yet it only seems to be a concern regarding the XLC. Why is this not a concern when your feet push up against the netting of an HH or a dangerbird? Attaching netting directly to the body of the hammock is one of the most common practices out there, yet everyone is somehow worried about this all of a sudden with the XLC, even though most brands have been doing this all along and i've never heard of any issues along these lines in all my years reading this forum.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    We will make an XLC with a solid fabric footbox on request, but the net ones seem to be doing fine so far. Generally that fabric is above your feet, in addition you should be able to position yourself such that your feet aren't pressing into the netting at all, there should be plenty of room to do that.

I'm kinda confused about all the concerns over this honestly... because most(all?) of the netted hammocks i've ever tried or seen (every single model of netted end-gathered hammock that i know of on the market... besides the standard blackbird anyway) incorporates mosquito netting that is attached directly to the edge of the hammock body at your feet (normally attached all the way around the edge of the hammock body) yet it only seems to be a concern regarding the XLC. Why is this not a concern when your feet push up against the netting of an HH or a dangerbird? Attaching netting directly to the body of the hammock is one of the most common practices out there, yet everyone is somehow worried about this all of a sudden with the XLC, even though most brands have been doing this all along and i've never heard of any issues along these lines in all my years reading this forum.
    This had never crossed my mind or has even come up in any of the study's that I have done prior to buying this hammock. Until it was posted by XLCrazyDx, I did not know this was even a issue. The only issue that I found was some people getting bitten on the buttocks through the bottom of the hammock which is why I went with a double layer. After laying in it for a short time (10 minutes) I had absolutely no issues with the bug net and I am confident no matter how much I might toss and turn that this won't be an issue. I did have a chance to lay in a HH about 2 months ago and the reason I went with the WBBB is because my head was almost touching the netting and it wrapped my feet up tight (though with a HH made for 7' people I'm sure those issues would be resolved). Again I am planning on going into the swamps for a proper overnighter and will report my findings after a full night in the hammock.

To Brandon.
    I think your work is superior to any manufactured tent that I have purchased and look forward to many good nights in my hammock thanks.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    In all the reviews on the XLC and my own experience owning one, I've not read of actual problems or experienced them myself with the bug netting on top of the footbox. I was just in my XLC a bit ago and looked at where my feet were in relation to the netting and had absolutely no concern. My feet rest on the hammock fabric, with the netting well above my feet.

Hopefully people understand the concerns posted above are just one persons feedback (which you are entitled to give) and from the sounds of it more theoretical in nature.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20, KAQ 1, Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing / buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    In all the reviews on the XLC and my own experience owning one, I've not read of actual problems or experienced them myself with the bug netting on top of the footbox. I was just in my XLC a bit ago and looked at where my feet were in relation to the netting and had absolutely no concern. My feet rest on the hammock fabric, with the netting well above my feet.
    Same here. My 14's fit the box and don't touch the netting.

Hammock
    Tinkr Custom, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    EE RevX, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware, Trees
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post

Hopefully people understand the concerns posted above are just one persons feedback (which you are entitled to give) and from the sounds of it more theoretical in nature.
    I have had the same experience with my XLC, I'm 6' and my feet don't touch the netting.
    see you on the trail,
    Mike

#optoutside

Images
    No offense to those that were concerned about this, i only mentioned it because i have heard this many times since the XLC came out, not just this one instance.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    6'-6" here, and many nights so far in my XLC. Why this issue of ripping the netting near the footbox has even come up is beyond me. There is no tension applied to the netting when laying in the hammock. You would have to physically push your foot up through the netting, which would take some effort.

With Brandon's reputation, I'm surprised that anyone would think that he would release a hammock that he thought would fail. Does anyone really think that there was no testing before release?

Re: WBBB XLC 1.7 DL - A Noobs Prespective

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    6'-6" here, and many nights so far in my XLC. Why this issue of ripping the netting near the footbox has even come up is beyond me. There is no tension applied to the netting when laying in the hammock. You would have to physically push your foot up through the netting, which would take some effort.

With Brandon's reputation, I'm surprised that anyone would think that he would release a hammock that he thought would fail. Does anyone really think that there was no testing before release?
    I've ripped many bug nets and mesh panels. It doesn't matter how many tests are done, stuff happens and I'm rough on gear.

I know that I couldn't be trusted with the xlc, you gentler folks might have it last a lifetime. Just food for thought.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Web
    I've had mine for a while and have had no concern with the netting on the foot box. It's held up well and has been a sound investment. The XLC is a great hammock. Spent a week in Michigan's UP with heavy insects and it worked splendidly. I got the best nights sleep I've ever had in the backcountry. Thanks Brandon for a great product.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast