Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°
    Big guy here, absolutely no problem with the netting in the footbox. I think it's just a question of having it set up correctly and laying enough toward the head end. Fantastic hammock, no plans to change at all.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    Going for a short overnighter this weekend, I plan on posting an update when I get back.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    My First Hang

The arrival
    I chose to stay at Lake Fausse Pointe backpacking site #5 which is about a half a mile from one of the trail entrances. It was around 12PM when I hiked into camp. The weather was hot, humid and the afternoon thunderstorms were building. The Superfly was the first to be setup, followed by my WBBB XLC 1.7 DL.

The Setup (Superfly)
    The Superfly takes a little longer than I anticipated to setup. Staking out the 12 tie-out points took a little time, about 10 minutes or so. The undergrowth was thick and full of thorns so I was going a bit slow.

The Setup (The Blackbird XLC)
    I set up the WBBB under my tarp and it went up quite easily and took all of 2 minutes or so. I had the foot end around seven feet high and the head end around 6 feet high with trees about 16 feet apart.

The Storm
    About 3PM it started storming. I sat under the Superfly next to my hammock and video recorded the rain for a bit while I had the tarp in porch mode. I moved a small bench that was by the campfire under my tarp to keep my gear off the ground. After it started to really rain I had to stop filming and drop the tarp from porch mode to "A-Frame" mode (not sure of the terminology there) due to water collecting on top of the tarp. The tarp keep my hammock and gear dry though I am going to have to apply seam sealer to the tie outs again as I don't think I did a very good the first time as I noticed one of them leaking.

The First Hang In My Blackbird XLC
    So after the storm things cooled off a bit so I fiddled around camp and ate something before calling it night. I unzipped the bug net took off my crocs and sat indian style in the hammock so I could zip it up. After stashing my light, phone and hat on the shelf, I clipped my water bottle to the ridge line and laid out in a very roomy hammock. I slid myself down to the head end and stretched my feet out. Other than some fabric draping down around my feet if I laid straight (which I did for only a couple minutes or so, it wasn't so comfy for me in that position) the netting around foot box posed no problems, the fabric easily moved away and I found it to be a nice view. After tossing and turning for about a minute or so I found that on my back with my left leg straight and my right foot placed around my knee so my legs look like a figure 4 was comfortable and I slept well without tossing and turning until I had to go to the bathroom. After relieving myself I found myself sleeping on my left side which again I sleep peacefully until morning. I slept in a t-shirt and running pants but was still able to feel how soft the fabric was. Overall it was probably the best night of sleep I ever had.
    Some Photos from the inside.
    20130706_172338.jpg
    20130706_172404.jpg

Concerns
    1. After tossing and turning to find a comfortable position I found the fabric crumpled up under me and my face right against the bug net. To solve this I just readjusted the fabric underneath me after I was comfortable.

2.After my bathroom break I was admiring the craftsmanship of the hammock when I ran across a small piece of fabric that looked stretched. The area was slightly translucent. I have not contacted Brandon about it yet as I am don't think it will affect the hammock. I think it is a small blemish in the fabric and nothing more. If anyone feels I should pay it more attention, please enlighten me as to the reason it would concern you and what might of happened.

3. The price tag at $265 seems a bit steep however some well made tents can cost you upwards of $500

Conclusion (WBBB XLC 1.7 DL)
    A very comfortable and well-made hammock that is easy to setup and takedown. It took almost a month to receive the hammock, but seeing as how it is handmade and the craftsmanship is exceptional, I found the wait worthwhile. I hope there are always trees around so I never have to pitch my tent again.

Conclusion (Superfly)
    Great tarp kept me and my gear dry. However I thought it was a bit overkill for an overnight trip and will probably leave it home unless I am spending more than one night in the same location or I expect the weather to be at its worse. For overnighters a simple hex fly with four tie outs will work.
    Last edited by lesspayne; 07-08-2013 at 22:30.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    On your comment about water pooling on the tarp... If you have your tarp in porch mode, keep one end higher than the other. I just saw Shug repost this somewhere and used it during a rain storm here this weekend and it worked great.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    Thanks paul. Thats a great idea.. good ole Shug. I will try this next time out as I really enjoy having the view in the storm.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Look into a no sew pole mod on that super fly, best thing I ever did! Saves 4 tie outs, and takes seconds to do!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugen View Post
    Look into a no sew pole mod on that super fly, best thing I ever did! Saves 4 tie outs, and takes seconds to do!
    That is with the tent poles over the ridge line right? I was thinking of doing something like that. Still weighing the pros and cons of carrying tent poles.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It's 2 poles, not much weight with high end ones at all, but for a try go get Coleman fiber glass replacement kit and give it a try. One kit will do the job to let you know how it works and the kit is 7-8 bucks online I think. DIY doesn't get any easier. With multiple kits you can cut the poles into shorter sections and make them even easier to pack too. I think my final kit I ended up cutting them down to 15"sections.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    Got some pictures?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lesspayne View Post
    Thanks paul. Thats a great idea.. good ole Shug. I will try this next time out as I really enjoy having the view in the storm.
    Yessir....water will run right off.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast