Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps

WBBB XLC 1.7 DL - A Noobs Prespective

Short Review of the WBBB XLC 1.7 DL

First Impressions
    OK so I got a chance right before the rain started to set up my new WBBB XLC 1.7DL, I am super impressed. First impressions are it is strong, soft and made better than any car camping tent I have ever owned.

Setting
    I am a brand new ground dweller attempting to convert to hanging, this is my first hammock and first review so take it easy on me. My only option to hang a hammock in my back yard is between two clothes poles that only stand about 5'5". So I can set up a hammock but due to clearance issues I am not able to get into the hammock (wish my trees would grow faster). As a result this is just a setup and take down review, I will try to a better review when I take my first camping trip (maybe next weekend).

The Package
    A couple of boxes where on my doorstop today, one I knew was my New Road underquilt. The second was a mystery to me so I opened it up and was surprised and very excited to see my new WBBB XLC 1.7DL and Superfly after only about 3 weeks of waiting. I was surprised because I didn't get a shipping notice or if I did it went to my Hotmail address that I can't get into anymore (I gotta stop using that account). So I posted the above link in the HF, gathered my new hammock and headed into the backyard to at least string it up. Its no fun having a new toy you can't play with.

The Hammock
    The WBBB XLC comes in a blackbishop bag (I think that's what they call it; it's just a stuff sack that opens from both ends) and is available with either a cinch buckle or whoopee string suspension. It is also available in different weights of fabric, 1.1oz/sq.in. fabric or 1.7oz/sq.in. You can also get this hammock in a single or double layer. This hammock has a couple of design features that separate it from the competition. The first is the foot box that is supposed to keep the fabric from wrapping around you tightly. The second is a built-in storage shelf, good for storing small equipment. The XL stands for x-tra large its 11 feet long one foot longer then the orginal blackbird and the C stands for convertible, it comes with a bug net or an over-cover that completely detach, so if you want to go topless you can . So as I mentioned above I went with the 1.7 double layer with the cinch straps as my suspension as weight isn't that big of deal to me yet.

Setup
    So shortly after receiving the package I immediately posted it's arrival on the HF and went outside to brave the heat to setup my new shelter. Using the cinch straps to hang the hammock was easy I'm sure I had it up in around 2 minutes and I have never set one up before. However, It was quite simple and just like he shows in his video. I Just opened one side of the bag, wrapped the strap around the pole, and secured it with a carabineer. Then I cinched up the end of the bag around the suspension, loosened the other end and walked the hammock to the other pole where I again wrapped the other strap around the other pole and secured it with a carabineer. Quite pleased at this point I decided to stake it out and snap a couple of photos. Now I have to be quick about taking these photos because there has been thunder in the background for about 20 minutes or so and the sky is getting dark with heavy clouds. Just as I finished taking photos and a quick video it started raining. Time to take it down.

Takedown
    Now I'm under pressure to take down my new WBBB XLC 1.7 DL before mother nature completely soaks both me and the hammock. I must say it was just as easy taken it down as it was setting it up. I just unclipped the end that the bishop bag was hanging on and started stuffing it into the bishop bag till I got to the other pole where I just unclipped the hammock from the pole and cinched up the bag. It took about the same amount of time as the setup maybe less. I set up and took down my hammock for first time without letting the hammock touch the ground and I took it down before the impending storm soaked us to much. I was actually successful in getting my hammock down and it only got hit by a few drops of rain.

Final Thoughts
    It has pleased me so far with the quality of workmanship and ease of setup and takedown. I also like the shelf storage option, it isn't to big but I think it will store my flashlight, knife, phone and other smalls quite nicely. I don't have much else to say about it at this point other then I am excited to get both my WBBB XLC and my Superfly tarp into the swamp so I can give them a proper test. That's about it for now, if someone would explain how to upload photos I will gladly post them, I just don't know how.

Up-Date: Pictures
    The following photos are of the WBBB XLC 1.7 DL:
    20130629_175811.jpg, 20130629_175814.jpg
    These show the WBBB XLC from the footbox/shelf side
    20130629_175822.jpg
    Closes Up of the shelf
    20130629_175831.jpg
    From the top
    20130629_175839.jpg
    The suspension straps and the blackbishop bag

Thanks to the Shug for showing me how to post photos. For any noobies reading that are about to purchase their first hammock I strongly suggest that you watch his Hammock Hangin' How-To ... Essentials For Noobs. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB8752777861C2AA8 This is a link to a ten or eleven part series, but the guy is a good entertainer and explains how to hammock camp and what you should and should not do very well. this can be found on the Hammock Forums under General Hammock Talk
    Last edited by lesspayne; 06-30-2013 at 22:26. Reason: Added Photos

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    I just received my first WBBB yesterday, June 29 (ordered May 8) and it is also the XLC 1.7 DL. Is your foot box made of the bug netting? Mine is and I am thinking it is a mistake. Shouldn't the foot box be made of nylon and an extension of the base of the hammock?

Hammock
    Tablecloth w/ fronkey net
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    TUCKuilt, pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    The new xlc's footbox is made with bug netting to increase the outside view from inside the hammock. It may even help with airflow as well (I don't know personally because I haven't owned either one).

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    That makes sense. I just watched the video on the XLC and that was one of the changes made from the standard WBBB. I guess my only concerns are durability of the bug netting in the foot box and my foot directly against the bug netting tempting the mosquitoes.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by swatx View Post
    That makes sense. I just watched the video on the XLC and that was one of the changes made from the standard WBBB. I guess my only concerns are durability of the bug netting in the foot box and my foot directly against the bug netting tempting the mosquitoes.
    As I have not been able to get into mine I do not know if my feet would touch the bug netting or not, however in the video Brandon says I am supposed to hang the foot end high and slid closer to the head end of the hammock. This leads me to believe that my feet wouldn't be near enough for any skeeters to feast on my feet. I am planning short trip to the swamp next weekend or the one after that, pending weather. At that time I plan on doing a full review and I will keep this in mind when I update this post. Stay tuned.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swatx View Post
    I've only seen one report of failure of the foot box so far, with many, many more very happy users. You should be totally fine. Mine's been plenty strong so far. And, if it ever does fail (due to workmanship, etc.), Brandon has a solid reputation for warranting those types of problems.

To the original poster - congrats on your first hammock - you chose my favorite gathered-end model! It's a great one. Thanks for a solid first review.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Haha, there's no way I would get a hammock with a footbox made of bugnet material. I would rip it for sure and even if I didn't my feet would be up against it getting bit by bugs.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    Update: The WBBB XLC 1.7 DL The Next Day
    So tonight I took the WBBB XLC 1.7DL with me to visit some friends, they have mature trees in their backyard, so I got a chance to set it up and actually hang in it for about ten minutes or so. Setup went as quickly as it went yesterday, and in no time I found my self gently swaying in the light breeze in my new hammock.

Getting in the Hammock
    So having strung my hammock, now properly from two trees, with the foot end approximately 7' high and the head end hanging right around 6', in between two pine trees approximately 16' apart, I unzipped my hammock and gave my friend a worried look (you know the "I'm about to bust my *** look") and sat down. The suspension creaked as it tightened but the hammock did not slid down from its perch. I was now sitting, very comfortably, in my hammock, with a big ole grin on my face. It was quite comfortable as I laid back across the fabric and used the hammock as a recliner. My friend was quite impressed as he urged me to lay down in the thing.

The First Lay
    So I kicked off my crocs and stretched myself out into a roomy hammock. The first impression was how comfortable it was lying there on my back. I liked how you can see out the almost the entire hammock, expect on the right side where the shelf was, which I think is the only draw back to having the shelf. However I think the storage capacity and not having stuff hanging down in my face from the ridge line will be a plus and worth the disrupted view, I will make a better determination in the swamps as time goes on, but for now I like it. I pulled myself up towards the head end as per Brandon's instructions and found that I had plenty of head room and the fabric was a lot looser around me than I expected it to be.

The Footbox
    The Footbox is what, in my mind anyway, places the WBBB in front of the competition. As there has been a lot of discussion on this thread about the footbox I will now attempt to address all the issues that have been mentioned. I had at least foot between the bug netting and my feet and about a half a foot above my feet to the netting with plenty of fabric under them for support. Seeing that this is the case I doubt any skeeters are going to be munching on my toes. When I rolled over onto my side, which I found to be a very comfortable position, the netting did not even touch my feet. The footbox is made with enough fabric to support your feet and not obstruct your view in that area of the hammock and the netting stays out of your way. The netting being in this position also allows for the breeze to pass through keeping you cooler in the hot Louisiana sun.

My Friends Thoughts
    My friend was greatly impressed with speed of the setup and take down and after laying in it, he's sold on the idea of hammock camping though I think he is currently shopping for a similar hammock that is a little cheaper on the wallet, as he really likes the WBBB XLC he is not so keen on the price tag (I might get him to try a DIY as he is really handy).

Final Thoughts
    This hammock appears to be well built, though a few camping trips will have to be made to put it through it paces in order to really get a feel for this hammock. So all in all I think I am going to be a hanger, possibly full time.

Stay tuned to this thread as I will answer questions that are posted and continue to update this post as I use and test out my new hammock.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xcrazydx View Post
    Haha, there's no way I would get a hammock with a footbox made of bugnet material. I would rip it for sure and even if I didn't my feet would be up against it getting bit by bugs.
    Depending on how tall you are, your feet typically aren't up against it. If you lay in it the way recommended by Warbonnet (foot end hung higher and shifting your body more toward the head end of the hammock). Unless you're pretty tall, it wouldn't be an issue.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion and shouldn't ever go with a hammock you aren't comfortable with - just wanted to clear it up as a great choice for many folks.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    To the original poster - congrats on your first hammock - you chose my favorite gathered-end model! It's a great one. Thanks for a solid first review.
    After I laid in it for just a few minutes last night I can see why it is your favorite gathered end hammock, very comfortable. And your welcome, though it's my first hammock and I have nothing to compare it to so I'm not sure how much my opinion counts.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast