Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

WV>Greenbriar River Trail

This years GBRT bike/hang. Nothing you haven't seen before EXCEPT maybe Mrs. WV.
    Poof, Neutron, and I for the 3rd year ride along the river for 80ish miles and just marvel at one of the country's gems when it comes to rail-trails (or we wouldn't keep doing it over and over).
    Our kick off began with WV showing up at the Caldwell terminus to bode us well and show off his design genius ( I'd like first dibs on the tarp he is working on).....
    The cycling was uneventful as far as break downs, accidents, etc.-a good thing. The extra day added gave us nice camp time to swim. Perfect weather though it did rain all night long two of the 3 nights but each time stopped before we got on the bikes.
    Some new gear. MAD777 roched me into a chair. It is so far beyond the stool I've been carrying I'm scratching my head trying to figure what I can do to the backpack to make up the difference (now dont say anything about loosing it off me!).
    Anyway, its just typical MM style reporting until the last night when WV and Mrs. WV show up and surprise us at the campsite near Anthony. I know any who have met WV know he truly is gentleman and scholar who has given a lot to our community of hangers over the years; his wife is just a sweet and pleasant. Did I mention they had a bottle of wine AND 1.5L of springwater from the Cranberry Wilderness (the pump water sometimes really tastes like iron).
    Also didnt mention it but we also got to meet Leo who was also sporting a wonderful personality.
    Another LEO was seen for first time on the trail and we thought it good seeing the trail authorities checking out the trail.
    Until next year

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    MM ... enjoyed watching that when it came online. Another great trip. It was mighty nice to see WV and Lady WV. But hey you say you were going to make an announcement ... so did you and I miss it?

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    yeah forgot about that announcement...making it into a soap opera, maybe at John Rock in 2 weeks. Thanks for watching Hawk-Eye-you must get up early

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    yeah forgot about that announcement...making it into a soap opera, maybe at John Rock in 2 weeks. Thanks for watching Hawk-Eye-you must get up early
    Wish I could ... guess I'll have to wait for the grapevine! You folks have a great time with HB & RF! They be gud' Gorge Rats!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

nice video MM. I haven't ever done a bike/hang so it would be interesting to see how you pack everything on the bike. Have you ever made a video on that or maybe I missed it
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images

Substitute Announcement!

Leo killed his first groundhog today! (Well, maybe not his first, but the first since we got him from the shelter at the ripe old age of "maybe 5 or 6". Could have been old hat to him.)

But I digress... MM, that was a great trip report. Your shots of the beautiful Greenbrier Valley made me want to live there. More to the point, it made me want to fix my old clunker of a bike and accompany you next year. That trail would be kind to a geezer on a one-speed heavyweight. Neutron claims that downhill would be easier than uphill, but I think I'd need to do those 77 miles 5 times in succession before I felt the difference. We enjoyed providing minor trail magic, meeting Neutron, seeing Poof (talk about trail magic!), and hearing all your wisdom on bikepacking and hammock gear. You all made it seem easy, but I suspect considerable planning and experience went into those quick setups and gourmet meals. I'd like to bike with you just to learn how to do it right.

I especially liked seeing HNO's Airship, the first of his work that I've seen, and it lived up to my high expectations.

-------
    By the way, MM, you left us hanging not only with your "announcement", but also with the "other Leo seen". A couple of years ago a rabid bobcat leaped onto a passing cyclist, and there have been periodic, but unconfirmed, sightings of mountain lions hereabouts, but your report would of course come with more instant credibility. Hope you weren't just alluding to a couple of McCats.
    Last edited by WV; 07-02-2013 at 13:01.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Thanks for taking us along again! Wish I coulda made it up there, maybe one day. Beautiful place. So how cold is the river? Glad WV and Mrs. WV got to visit y'all! Still shots on the end of the vid was nice!

Cant' wait for the announcement. Went on 42 trips together, are you saying you are going on a 43thrd? Ha ha ha!!

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Wow, was so good to see that river again. I found myself picking where I would run it as I glimpsed it in the vid. Makes me really want to paddle it again.

Great vid. Thanks so much for sharing. Looks like no one was hungry!!
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Great video... gives me another area to consider exploring.
    Nice teaser... Like waiting for the next Hobbit movie (except I read the book and know what happens, disregard)
    I've been in the cage lately to borrow a phrase but Guis Baltar has helped kill some time.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG:Burrow/Incubato
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    And the verdict is...."Frozen"

"ITS STILL FROZEN????" -ha I could just sense the ....oh crap in your voice

Another great vid from MM & Poof. Good stuff guys!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast