Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hammock in the A.T.

I'm am looking at doing a 3 day on the A.T. in Georgia next month.
    This is the first time doing any over night hiking, so I don't want to get a ton of money in it at the start. I was looking at maybe trying the hammock and tarp but was not sure if you are aloud to do it on the trail.
    Can some on chime in?

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    morning, and welcome. if you would like try a hammock great site to be in. where in ga are you? if you live in my vacinity, you may borrow mine..
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by InsanityBeckons View Post
    I'm am looking at doing a 3 day on the A.T. in Georgia next month.
    This is the first time doing any over night hiking, so I don't want to get a ton of money in it at the start. I was looking at maybe trying the hammock and tarp but was not sure if you are aloud to do it on the trail.
    Can some on chime in?
    no problem hammocking. april will still be cold. test out your under insulation now.

Hammock
    Warbonet BB 1.1d, BB 1.7d
    Tarp
    Big MJ, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB quilts, Volara
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    no problem hammocking. april will still be cold. test out your under insulation now.
    Karl, What were you using for insulation? Did you bring a pad and UQ? What did you use on top and was it warm enough for winter on AT?

Images

AT

Quote Originally Posted by NorseAmerican View Post
    Karl, What were you using for insulation? Did you bring a pad and UQ? What did you use on top and was it warm enough for winter on AT?
    EXPLORER ULTRALITE A-SYM w/zipper mod. and webbing ring buckle system. A Warbonnet Superfly Tarp. Jrb Mt. Washington under quilt and an Adrenaline 0 degree bag modified. it took me below 0* with no extra clothing. below 60* i need a pad (done 45*) or the JRB Nest (have done 30*). i was VERY surprised (being from South Jersey) the difference of the temps from towns to mountians. i was told to add 3* for every +1000' elevation. it was more like 5*, then add the chill factor and you got cold. so back to the original post.
    TEST all your gear. a pad should work fine. you will have so much more fun if you are warm

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    1/2 in tubular web
    I've tried it both ways, and, in my opinion, hanging is the only way to hike on the AT. Shelter racks are too hard to sleep on. Getting spooned all night by a smelly mountain momma is... well, let's just let that one alone. And frankly, my own snoring is the only kind I can sleep through. :^)
    There's no such thing as bad weather... just bad gear.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Hammocks are no issue on the AT. There are a handful of exceptions (Smokies and a handful of State Parks), but Georgia is nooooo problem. Lots of really good places to hang in Georgia on the AT. Might be hard to make mileage with so many tempting sites.

Just watch out when stealthing around those Ranger cadets; rumor is they don't get much food while training. HIDE YOUR SNICKERS!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Zeti UQ & WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    I'm doing a section in TN next week for Spring Break. I've been back and forth about whether my landau pad would be enough insulation. Finally after working with the pad and my underquilt, I decided to take the underquilt. I have to put both it and my sleeping bag in compression sacks and they take up most of my backpack. But I know I'll be warm enough

• + New Posts