Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DIY Gear Supply Plans for First Hammock?

Let me start off by saying that I do not own a single hammock as of yet. I am just looking into this as an option as far as something to spend my free time enjoying (I'm normally very busy). I have a metal stand from an old hammock to hook it to to enjoy in the back yard, and I am wanting to try building my own. The only problem is that I do not know how to sew, I was thinking I might con a family member into sewing the hammock for me and then maybe the tarp when Its time for me to build one (going to start with a cheap standard blue tarp from Harbor Freight for now. I already know what kind of suspension I want to use for hanging my hammock when I get around to hanging in the trees. So, my question is how hard is that hammock going to be to make? I like the 2 layers design, and I want to add the Bug Net at a later date. If I take a short lesson on sewing from the aforementioned family member, would this be something I could take on easily without fear of ruining material, etc. Also Im thinking 1.9 Ripstop Nylon for the hammock. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also, if it matters, My budget is TIGHT to say the least, any input on cheaper fabric that could be just as strong would be appreciated.

Hammock
    Tablecloth w/ fronkey net
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    TUCKuilt, pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    HF is the right place to get started on making your own hammock. There's tons of info here to get you started. I'm sort of in the same boat about trying do stuff on the cheap. Listed are some pointers:

1. For starters, look up Shug Emery's YouTube channel and watch all of his beginner videos. Also check out to the woods on how to make simple hammocks. It explains whipping and other basics (http://tothewoods.net/). I would recommend buying a taffata table cloth for the hammock body because the seams are already sewn.

2. Suspension: look for threads and videos on how to make whoopie slings and then buy a pair of one inch ratchet straps.

3. Bug net. Look for the sticky on Fronkey's DIY bug net. Cryptic cricket on YouTube has a good video as well.

4. Foot box: not trying to toot my own horn, check out my thread on how to make a simple no sew foot box.

Well, I hope this helps.

-Tuck

I watched shugs videos before joining, lots of great info, I think I picked up on most of the basics

Ill have to look at the rest you mentioned, thanks

Hammock
    DIY DL & GTUL
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    IX UQ, CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I followed the DIY Gear Supply guide (works great) and used 1.9oz ripstop from JoAnn Fabrics. It ends up heavier and bulkier than necessary unless you are a BIG guy. If you don't need high weight limits you might be better off using 1.1oz ripstop (which DIY Gear Supply carries & likely cheaper than your local fabric shop anyway). If you're not backpacking won't matter tho.

As far as required sewing skills - not a whole lot. Everything is straight stitches and well to be honest slightly wavy stitches work too. Use lots of pins to keep your hems even (and even more for keeping the 2 layers lined up) and you'll be fine.

You may also want to look at the http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/ Crinkle Taffeta "hammock blanks" (er I mean tablecloths ). <$20 and pre-hemmed so you just need to sew channels at the ends to help gather the ends (or just whip it). Plenty of threads here with more info. A bit heavy for backpacking though , esp if double layer (more than the 1.9oz/yd ripstop). But if you're just backyard lounging it'd probably be perfect.

+1 on the suggestion of Fronkey's bugnet design. Just made one myself with the Walmart sheer curtains and it's very easy.

Re: DIY Gear Supply Plans for First Hammock?

Table cloth hammock is less then $20, and a pretty nice way to start. No sewing needed if you whip, and really comfy.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=62832
    Last edited by scryan; 07-02-2013 at 23:14.

Senior Member Michelle the Camper's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Maccat clone, OES
    Insulation
    PLUQ &amp; DIYdown
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Instead of pins, I use these clips for hair to hold the fabric in place. They work pretty good.

Senior Member Michelle the Camper's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Maccat clone, OES
    Insulation
    PLUQ &amp; DIYdown
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    photo of the hair things
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, doesn't sound too difficult. For record I'm 250 lbs roughly 6 feet tall. I was thinking of making the hammock with 1.9 just to feel comfortable with the strength and I'm not too concerned with weight at this point. Any camping with it will be done at a drive up site nothing that I would be hiking into for miles.

After reading the thread on the tablecloth hammocks, I like the idea of starting cheap and moving up to making something a little more complicated as I get a feel for what I would like. They also have polyester tablecloths? How well will they hold up compared to the other material? Too weak?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast