Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images

Save the Date for the Fall MAHHA Hang! Oct. 18-20, 2013

OK folks, we have the Blue Ridge Center for Environmental Stewardship near Harpers Ferry, WV reserved for the Fall MAHHA. It's the 3rd weekend in October. October 18-20, 2013. I've rented the area from noon Friday to noon Sunday (most people leave before then anyway).

Detailed information to follow but you can mark your calendars now!
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Thank you so very much for continuing to take this undertaking on. You are awesome HC, got this on my calendar.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Fall MAHHA Site Reserved for Oct. 18-20, 2013

Already saved the date. Of course its also a Scout Camporee that weekend but I have my priorities. Hammocks!
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Boy oohh boy oohh boy oohh boy I sure do hope I can make this hang. Thanks so much WV,HC and all those who helped
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    HC 'I've rented' means you paid money. Let us know if you want PayPal dontations to help cover.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    Boy oohh boy oohh boy oohh boy I sure do hope I can make this hang. Thanks so much WV,HC and all those who helped
    Thanks! JD went to the Harpers Ferry Outdoor Festival for the site visit when I broke my foot and couldn't make it. And ABHarris has been crucial in the change of venue. I wanted to keep it in the same general area and she took it before the board of directors and got the OK for us to hang on their trees.

The person I have spoken to at the center has been great but there will be a few rules that deal with the environmental aspect of the center. The big change is there will be no campfire back in the hang area because there are no fire rings back there. But we can have a communal fire up by the pavilion. We will need to bring wood for that because the center leaves all wood on the ground. It's one of their environmental policies. We can use camp stoves back in the hang area, but no grills, because they don't want charcoal dumped back there. Again everyone will need to practice leave no trace. Which isn't a big deal for us. 99% of our usual group camps this way anyway.

There are other rules and policies that I will post and that are listed on their website; they are rules that our hikers follow anyway. Again no big deal.

Another new aspect is since we are renting this venue from a non- profit organization, there is a form we all need to sign for liability purposes. That we're camping out and there are inherent dangers with that and if you get hurt on the property you won't sue. This will be part of our sign-up excel sheet. When you sign up on our sheet you are agreeing to the liability form that will be a page on the excel sheet.

The part I like is that we still need to backpack into the hang site. Like Gathland, less than a mile but enough that newbies will get a chance at packing their gear into a backpack. Plus there is a connector trail to the AT so people can do prehikes, post hikes, and day hikes on the AT.

We are a stone's throw from Harpers Ferry so people can bike the C&O Canal rail trail riding and camping before or after the event. Harpers Ferry has the rivers there for people who canoe or kayak. Plus there's the historic Harpers Ferry and the AT Headquarters if anyone needs maps. I seem to pick up a new map every time I'm in there.

There's also geochaching for the kids. Check the link here. Good place for birding as well. Check out the Birds of the Ridge Trail description. Plus . . . Families, hikers, birders and anyone interested in enjoying our beautiful setting is invited to stop by our office and check out a Birds of the Ridge Daypack. Equipped with the tools of a naturalist, each pack contains binoculars (suitable for children and adults), a field guide, trail map, suggested activities and sketching materials. We highly recommend using the Daypack while strolling along our Birds of a Feather Interpretive Trail. . . How cool is that for families.

It's going to be a great venue for us! Plenty of parking, a big pavilion, easy directions, and great access to various outdoor activities.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    HC 'I've rented' means you paid money. Let us know if you want PayPal dontations to help cover.
    The center was so cool. When I explained how we weren't a big organized group and how we raise the money for the hang from the raffle, she said we could send the check after. Mostly because of our connection with ABHarris.

We will have to rent port-a-potties for the back hang area, and I'm sure there will be an upfront cost on that. So I'll give an update once that part is worked out. Thanks MedicineMan.
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 07-04-2013 at 07:25.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Blue Ridge Center map here.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Yea! Thanks to all who again are doing the thankless task of behind the scene organization for what looks to be an awesome site! Thanks to ABHarris for bringing it up that she had a secret site and was willing to share this treasure! I'm in for a post hike out of this one for sure.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    How far is the hike and what is the terrain? Gaithland was manageable for me until the last climb. If that's what we are dealing with it may still be too much.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Rules and regulations posted here. Please read so we are good guests while camping at the environmental center.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast