ENO doublenest olive/tan
    Tarp
    ENO pro fly olive
    Insulation
    UQ, & DIY TQ,
    Suspension
    warbonnett webbing

Should I buy it?

I was bored the other day when I said to myself " I wonder if I can find any cheap hammocks on eBay?" so I started browsing when I found this ===> http://www.ebay.com/itm/330824211174...84.m1423.l2649 . And I'm like "Whoa! awesome!" then I start really considering it. I was wondering if anybody has experience with buying what looks like someone else's DIY hammock. it hold 330 #'s really cool materiel, Etc... I guess I'm worried about durability. Can anybody help?
    Jonah,

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Well, you searched for cheap hammocks and found one! I don't think that's a DIY hammock, but a cheap Asian knockoff. You can tell that by the 20-30 day shipping time (and the broken English in the description):

1. With individual design, easy to pop up and convenient to store in.

Whatever that means.

This could be a serviceable hammock, but I'd worry about what is not being said. What's the weight rating on the carabiners? The rope? What's the bug net made out of? And what is the third rope for, to suspend the bugnet?

I wish they'd post their instructions for hanging this thing. I'll bet that is going to generate some laughs. I want to know more about how easy it is to pop up!

Senior Member I'm a hammock lover's Avatar
    Hammock
    ENO doublenest olive/tan
    Tarp
    ENO pro fly olive
    Insulation
    UQ, & DIY TQ,
    Suspension
    warbonnett webbing
    I was concerned about the size of the "bug net holes"? And I don't think it comes with carabiners...but I think that it's pretty cool..so we'll see how it goes...

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Those hardware clips are a joke. But it looks like they could be easily replaced.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images

Exclamation in my opinion

In my opinion you get what you pay for. I would rather spend some money and get a hammock from a cottage vendor on here.
    the write up plus 20-30 days shipping sound sketchy to me.
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

Skeeterbeater is the same price about, from a manufacturer with a name and customer service department and won't take a month to ship...Though I would get the pro version for a little more.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Another mass produced import as already mentioned. They are sort of like China Scoots. They use to be infamous for horrible workmanship, and cheap components. Over time some have listened, and demanded higher quality of materials and attention to detail, and they are marginally to a lot better than the worst of the worst.

There still remain untold number of substandard units sitting in shipping containers, both here and at points of origin, ready to be unloaded upon unwary consumers. It's impossible to tell until you get one in hand what it is you're dealing with. Expect, but be pleasantly pleased not to find, duffed stitching, errant needle holes, blemished and ill-fitting material, loose thread(s). Be assured you are going to be dealing with a hammock heavier than it and you need to be.

My car camping rig might be a WBBB or something from Papa. I consider those heavy for me, I doubt I'd find much use in one of these, but rock on, you might prove us wrong.

For about the cost of a decent suspension, you could have had a hammock instead?
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Looks like you have any ENO DN. that is a good hammock, there are better ones but a lot of us started out with them and I still use mine from time to time. In my opinion, I would look
    at replacing the tarp you have before getting into another hammock but that's my .02 cents. And do a Fronkey style bug net seeing you DIYed your pea pod, you can get mosquito netting fairly cheap and they are easy to make. Good luck, and no, I have no experience with this type of hammock. Happy hangin!
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    SynMat9/Phantom 15
    Suspension
    Kammok Python Strp
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    ... I don't think that's a DIY hammock, but a cheap Asian knockoff. You can tell that by the 20-30 day shipping time (and the broken English in the description):

You can also tell by "delivery from Hong Kong" and "Item location:
    Hong Kong, Hong Kong"
    My Flickr / My YouTube

"Most of us are just about as happy as we make up our minds to be" - Abraham Lincoln

"A left handed, open minded, closed mouth (quiet), over-analytical, under the radar, through the woods kind of guy" -Me

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    That old adage rings true. "You get what you pay for". Having made each individual piece of my own hammock, bug net and suspension I can assure you a lot of work is involved. While labor and materials are cheap in China I'm very skeptical of price. Based on the photos the bug net will not keep out noseems.

It looks like you have a reasonable setup based on your profile. What do you think this setup will provide that your current setup does not?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast