HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Typhoon
    Insulation
    TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Kids and camping

I have two boys age 4.11 months and 2.3 months. I just want to ask those parents out there what age did you start hammock camping with your kids and what lessons did you learn to make it useful and enjoyable for the camping experience? I've got a couple of hammocks so I'm pretty keen to introduce my love of the outdoors to my 4 year old!
    "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!"- Dr Suess

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incu/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    have they done any camping at all? i've been taking my boy ever since he was about 18months old, and he's always loved it. he hasn't been hammock camping yet, but i just got my first hammock and he's already spent more time in it then me (he's 4 now).

i think kids are pretty easy in terms of sleep, they will sleep anywhere on anything. unless they roll around a LOT, i couldn't imagine them having any issues in a hammock. if they have their own, just make sure it is pretty low to the ground? the hard part is just keeping them entertained during the day. i usually bring a little bucket and shovel, and also some matchbox cars to play with.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB CB / UGQ WD
    Insulation
    WB Lynx / LL GP
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Kids

I have a 6 yo boy and a 4 yo girl. Both started camping between 6 months and a year old. They have only ever hammock camped. We are remodeling their room for hammocks instead of beds next weekend. They have never known anything but camping, so why would they not like it?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Ozark
    Suspension
    ADJ webbing
    Images
    My daughter was 3 when we started her in the hammock camping world. She was 2 when we took her T@*T camping. Son was 6 when we started the hammock adventure. Neither have ever looked back. Note the daughter did sleep on/with me or her mom at the very first but she is solo now hanging above mom and the boy is above me.
    Where ever you go,
    There you are.

Hammock
    Southern Hammock Camping
    Tarp
    Cheap blue
    Insulation
    Yoga Mat
    Suspension
    Ratchet Straps
    Ive taken two of my three several times. They are 4 and 2 and I couldnt keep them still long enough to put them in a sleeping bag, let alone a hammock

Hammock
    BMBH UL
    Tarp
    SupaFly
    Insulation
    Flight jacket Zepp
    Suspension
    diy whoopie& strap
    Images
    I have 5 kids 3 boys 2 girls. Ages 4-10, started camping with them 2yrs ag. The kids love it they didn't mind tent camping but once they saw I was moving off the ground and to a hammock they all had to have one. My advice is make sure They have their own , we tried to put the girls in one and it didn't work at all.
    It's not the fall im scared of, it's the sudden stop at the end!!!

Only hang as high as your willing to fall- H.F. member

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Typhoon
    Insulation
    TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Kids and camping

That's awesome to know and thanks for all your advice. I've taken my 4 year old tent camping and he loved it. He is still struggling to sleep in his own bed so I'm not sure whether it is too early to sleep in the hammock. In summer I might take both the boys in the tent first (so they get used to sleeping outdoors and so Dad is right next to them), but move the 4 year old into a hammock and so he's used to it. I've set up my hammock in the back yard and he loves laying down in it so I think it won't be a hard transition to sleep in it.

I just love the joy they get from the camping experience. We do the whole fishing thing (even though he's more interested in playing with the landing net but it's all part of it! He loves doing torch adventures at night and toasting marshmallows over the fire. One day he can come with me on a sea kayak weekend trip away, but gentle steps first!
    "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!"- Dr Suess

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    We just did a 3 day tent camping trip with our 3 kids (10, 7, 4). The key to camping with kids it to make sure they are securely staked down. Also, hit up the dollar store for glow sticks and such. When they eventually pass out, it looks like the aftermath of a rave, bodies and glow sticks everywhere. I put my hammock up, and let them all try it, they didn't want to get out. Here's a pic of the little one.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Typhoon
    Insulation
    TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Kids and camping

How cute is that! Thanks Zort for the advice, keeping them busy seems to add to the enjoyment, and brings back the joy and memories of when I was in scouts as well.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Weta View Post
    He is still struggling to sleep in his own bed so I'm not sure whether it is too early to sleep in the hammock.
    Don't overlook the hammock set up in his room to get him to sleep in his room. The whole big boy bed, you got what we don't have action is a huge psychological advantage.

For us it was a pull out trundle under a day bed to get our son to sleep in his own bed. Use it as a transition point from your bed to his. Who knows, it might work and mom and dad can have their bed back. (Priceless).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast