HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Typhoon
    Insulation
    TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Alone in the wild

Hi Folks, I stumbled upon this YouTube clip about a guy from Britain (?) attempting to stay up to 3 months in Northern Canada by himself. The clip is long (over two hours) and it seems as though it was a series so some if you guys might have seen it. I thought it was good as anyone experiencing the outdoor gets my attention! He's stays in his hammock during all he duration but struggles with lack of food and being by himself with little human interaction. Any way, I thought he was admirable in his quest and child hood dream.

Here's the link:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FPbz5TDy6fs
    "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!"- Dr Suess

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    It was a good series but the bear fixation thing kind of ruined it for me. Not being able to take sizable game for the pot was a hindrance too.

He got a bit of stick for it over here but I think he coped fairly well, some of his decisions were odd but probably a result of not eating very well. Why he moved away from his first camp I'm not sure, he had plenty of fish and edibles where he was, another puzzler was when he was hacking his was through the forest with that huge pack on his back, why he didn't just lash a few of those windfalls together and take a nice easy paddle down the lake I don't know.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    We saw it a year or 2 back. I would say he was not very well prepared. He had a lot of gear, probably too much with all the camera stuff. OTOH he was not in s a position to take large game so he was not really prepared for living off the land. He also could not handle the lack of people contact. Not surprising for a city dweller.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Typhoon
    Insulation
    TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Alone in the wild

Yea I completely agree. I think he was completely unaware of the extent of the bears and became fixated and petrified that he will be savaged. I don't have bears or any nasties in my country (New Zealand), but I felt he heard too many bear stories that put him in the fearful mind set.

I give him credit that he had guts in going out and trying it but I think he needed to prepare more on decision making, like you pointed out that I don't know why he didn't scan the first lake in his canoe and stick to the first lake, as at least that was easy transport and ways to fish off it. I felt his pack was way too heavy given that his food was running low, so it would have drained him more. Also if he recon the area and sussed out where resources were might have helped him have a more successful trip.

I wasn't him and he seems to be a nice guy so I can't pull apart all what he did as he gave it a go and no doubt he will be saying the 'in hindsight' speech to himself...how often we learn from your own adventures.
    "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!"- Dr Suess

Hammock
    My new warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Friends

Wiiiiiiiilllllllllllllllllssssssssssoooooooooooooo ooooooooonnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Black Mega Ogee
    Insulation
    Lotsa options
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    The guy needs a bow!

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Typhoon
    Insulation
    TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Alone in the wild

Hahahahaha, that's what's the moose skull (Bruce) was for for his mate! I think he needed Prozac after the trip...poor bugger was traumatised!

Hammock
    Eno dn/BAIS
    Tarp
    real tree hunters
    Insulation
    peapod
    Suspension
    whoopie

Alone in the wild

He was texting and emailing the whole time he was there. He took survival classes from someone who was not from that area and had way to much of the wrong gear. I don't know if he tried to fail for better tv but it seems he may have. By far the worst thing anyone faces when out there that long is his own demons.
    Carpe noctem!!

• + New Posts