Tarp
    mamajamba
    Insulation
    APEX Jarbridge
    Suspension
    straps n' WHOOPIES

Yosemite Trip < 1 month away!

Hello all,
    I am planning on going on a 8 day backpacking trip with 2 buddies. I am the only one that has a hammock so I am looking for advice on potential campsite spots and areas that should be avoided for camping.

If anyone has done this route, or portions, are there specific nuances that I should be aware of? (limited water sources sections)

WE wanted to stay at a hotel in Merced the night before we leave and wanted a fresh change of clothes to have with us. Does anyone know if the valley has lockers that we could keep a duffel bag with our clothes or any other good alternatives to store clothes?

Any other advice?

Thanks you guys!
    Last edited by jacob8806; 07-05-2013 at 11:49.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs &amp; whoopie
    In years past we have stored a bag with clean kit, change of clothes, etc. with the driver who picks us up. If you are parking in Yosemite you can leave the unscented materials in your car trunk and the scented items in a bear locker. There are a bunch of them in the backpackers parking lot near Happy Isles and it's really rare to have things go missing. It seems backpackers are a pretty honest lot.

As far as the trails in Yosemite go, I have not ran into a lot of no hammock zones. If you camp below the treeline near passes you should be just fine. I recall just two lakes where I had to go to the ground for the entire John Muir Trail, but I didn't see which trails you were going to hike. The northern part of the JMT is the part that runs through Yosemite and there are places to hang almost everywhere (except passes of course) so have a great time and be sure to bring the bear canister.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird single 1.7
    Tarp
    mamajamba
    Insulation
    APEX Jarbridge
    Suspension
    straps n' WHOOPIES
    Well we are planning on taking the YARTS bus to Yosemite and back to the airport, I called the park and they said nothing was available for that kind of long term storage. My buddies and I have come the think that mailing our extra sets of clothes and pick them up at the post office. Not sure if we can, but I feel like I have heard stories of people doing this... Also we were planning on renting a couple of the bear canisters there. :-) heavy but much cheaper than buying one

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Family camp trip plan for Yosemite cot changed to Glacier. We leave in the morning. Yosemite should be next on out to do list. Hope your trip is great, share a report!!

Hammock
    Hummingbird double
    Tarp
    HG 4 season C.F.
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ,HG&amp; EE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jacob8806 View Post
    Hello all,
    I am planning on going on a 8 day backpacking trip with 2 buddies. I am the only one that has a hammock so I am looking for advice on potential campsite spots and areas that should be avoided for camping.

If anyone has done this route, or portions, are there specific nuances that I should be aware of? (limited water sources sections)

WE wanted to stay at a hotel in Merced the night before we leave and wanted a fresh change of clothes to have with us. Does anyone know if the valley has lockers that we could keep a duffel bag with our clothes or any other good alternatives to store clothes?

Any other advice?

Thanks you guys!
    The pic of your route is too small to see where you are going. I went in May and hiked up Little Yosemite Valley. I hung right along the Merced at the base of Bunnell cascades. From what other research I've done,there's tons of hanging spots all through the park.

I 2nd the lockers at Happy Isles. I think you can even lock them. There's a ton of them there.

• + New Posts