Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

Golite Ultra

Anybody using (or used) this Golite Ultra quilt? Wondering how it has performed relative to its temp rating.

Just got one with the killer 40% off at Backcountry.com and received last week. Taking it out of the box, I was like "No Way" would I use just it at freezing or below. Having played with it a bit, it seems warmer than it looks. I still don't think its 5" loft as advertised, though.

Also, I'm interested in knowing whether to use it with the pad straps or not. Straps seem like they could be kindof a nuissance, plus they actually come in handy for using on some of my other gear.

Yeah, I know, I need to get out and answer these things for myself.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I remember someone on here posting about this quilt. Seems to me that they had very good results, but I can't remember who it was. Maybe they will chime in soon.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    I still don't think its 5" loft as advertised, though.
    5" of loft for a comfort rating of 20*...that doesn't sound right! Should get you down to zero if it is really that lofty.

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalin View Post
    5" of loft for a comfort rating of 20*...that doesn't sound right! Should get you down to zero if it is really that lofty.
    Five inches total (both sides) equal 2.5in baffles, 20F is an accurate rating. You would need 3 inch baffles or more to get near zero, unless you are a Neo.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

loft

Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    Five inches total (both sides) equal 2.5in baffles, 20F is an accurate rating. You would need 3 inch baffles or more to get near zero, unless you are a Neo.
    Idiots Guide terms please!

Both sides of the quilt? The thing looks like it lofts as high as 4" in some spots.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Put it in a dryer on _NO HEAT_ along with a couple tennis balls for about ten minutes. Then check the loft.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

lofty

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Put it in a dryer on _NO HEAT_ along with a couple tennis balls for about ten minutes. Then check the loft.
    Will do this and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    Idiots Guide terms please!

Both sides of the quilt? The thing looks like it lofts as high as 4" in some spots.
    A sleeping bag zipped up is measured for loft my measuring the top and bottom of the bag, IE, the part under your a$$ and the part that is skyward. With a quilt it can be measured both ways, especially if it doesn't have a sewn foot box like a JRB quilt. Baffle height is the width of the mesh baffle sewn into the quilt/sleeping bag to contain the down, the taller the baffle, the more down and the thicker the insulation is.

Images
    A sleeping bag zipped up is measured for loft my measuring the top and bottom of the bag, IE, the part under your a$$ and the part that is skyward. With a quilt it can be measured both ways, especially if it doesn't have a sewn foot box like a JRB quilt. Baffle height is the width of the mesh baffle sewn into the quilt/sleeping bag to contain the down, the taller the baffle, the more down and the thicker the insulation is.
    Two things are confusing me at this point...Baffle height measures the height not the width, right? Also, if this is a quilt that is baffled to 5", doesn't that mean baffles that are 5" in height? I don't understand why on a quilt they would put two layers together to measure, when by definition a quilt lacks insulation on the bottom side. If it really is 2, 2.5" layers, why aren't the baffles listed as 2.5"?

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalin View Post
    Two things are confusing me at this point...Baffle height measures the height not the width, right? Also, if this is a quilt that is baffled to 5", doesn't that mean baffles that are 5" in height? I don't understand why on a quilt they would put two layers together to measure, when by definition a quilt lacks insulation on the bottom side. If it really is 2, 2.5" layers, why aren't the baffles listed as 2.5"?
    The width of the baffle is the width of the quilt, the height is the thickness of the chamber that holds the down.

I've never heard of a quilt with 5in baffles, that would be the equivalent of a ten inch thick sleeping bag for an arctic expedition.

The JRB Old Rag Mountain, Winter Nest, Rocky Mtn No Sniveler all have 3inch baffles and are all solid zero degree sleeping gear, with proper insulation underneath.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast