Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jwright View Post
    I'm still working through all the pictures--thanks for posting these, they make the process look much easier than I imagined.

Questions -

Are those #3 or #5 zippers and do you have a preference?

And the way I understand it is that this is a non-detachable net, meaning it stays attached at the foot end, is this correct?

Finally, in order to have it completely removable, you would need to use a separating zipper on each side and those are difficult to find in a suitable length, right?

Thanks,
    Jason
    Hey Jason. The black hammock has #3 zippers and the camo one has #5 zippers.

Yes, the net is still attached to the foot end - to be stowed away in a small peak bag.

Yes, you would need separating zippers to fully remove the net.

You can find separating zippers here: http://www.seattlefabrics.com/zipper...r%205%20Vislon

http://www.questoutfitters.com/zippe...MADE%20ZIPPERS

http://www.owfinc.com/hardware.html

The #3 and #5 zippers I got from DIY Gear Supply are really inexpensive and easy to sew on. You can also get separating zippers from cheap (Wally World, etc.) sleeping bags, but have to be the correct length or you have to tailor the hammock to the zipper.

The links above have zippers that are pre-made to whatever length you need.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    Simply Light Design
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    LeighLo Down UQ
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies!
    That's hard core! Good job on the net too.

My wife did this mod on an ENO last evening, works great.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KMACK View Post
    That's hard core! Good job on the net too.
    Thanks, KMACK!

Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    My wife did this mod on an ENO last evening, works great.
    Great! Got a picture?
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Cat cut Hex
    Insulation
    Folded PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Hey Lost Biker!!

Great instructions for sewing on a bug net!! Really got a lot out of it!

One question... what is the overall length of the camo hammock? I know your ridge line is 96"... Is that your 10 foot hammock you have also written about? Just saw that posting...

Thanks!

Jim
    Last edited by SlyFox; 07-09-2013 at 06:23. Reason: Found possible answer to my question...

Hammock
    My DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY SilNylon
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Lost Biker,

Thanks, I have 3 to work on and see your measuring method as a perfect substitute to what I was initially going to do.

Thanks again!
    Psalm 46:10

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyFox View Post
    Hey Lost Biker!!

Great instructions for sewing on a bug net!! Really got a lot out of it!

One question... what is the overall length of the camo hammock? I know your ridge line is 96"... Is that your 10 foot hammock you have also written about? Just saw that posting...

Thanks!

Jim
    Thanks, Jim. No, this is a different hammock, as another forum member wanted the one your talking about - Yes, Doctari - that's you!

I made this one a little different - it's 64" wide , but 10'6" long. Aside from using a #5 zipper instead of a #3 zipper, it's the same. Oh, - and the ridgeline on this is 109" (87%). That's the sweet spot for this one. I set-up and change things for hours till I get it dialed in - this is not only my hammock, it's my bed, too!

For myself, I find ridgeline length very personal - I have really bad knees and adjust the ridgeline only to get rid of the dreaded "ridge" that bothers so many people, especially me!

Quote Originally Posted by hecta_g View Post
    Lost Biker,

Thanks, I have 3 to work on and see your measuring method as a perfect substitute to what I was initially going to do.

Thanks again!
    Your quite welcome, hecta! Post pics when your done!

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    My DIY 1.9 SL ATACS-FG WB clone
    Tarp
    DIY Sil ATACS Hex
    Insulation
    Underquilt.com FL
    Suspension
    DBL StrapCarabiner
    Images
    This is a really great tutorial; thanks so much for taking the time to post it! And if I may, I would vote for this to be a sticky in the DIY section.

I am starting on my DIY WBBB clone, and the bug net directions you have here make the whole thing seem really possible to finish The peak bag/net detachment is huge also.

Take it easy,
    gmcpcs
    Semper Veritas.

Hammock
    My DIY 1.9 SL ATACS-FG WB clone
    Tarp
    DIY Sil ATACS Hex
    Insulation
    Underquilt.com FL
    Suspension
    DBL StrapCarabiner
    Images
    I have a couple of questions; hopefully related:

On the tie outs, they seem really tough, like they could take some stress. Are the measurements like the HH clone plans in the link below?
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...read.php?t=670

How do the tie outs integrate into the underquilt suspension loops? I was thinking of adding those to my hammock build; but I was just going to add some soft nylon loops along the secondary seam just to hold the underquilt, but I like the explanation about pulling it taut to hold the bug net off you.

(Oops, maybe this question belongs in the other thread: Here was the picture
    Semper Veritas.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcpcs View Post
    I have a couple of questions; hopefully related:

On the tie outs, they seem really tough, like they could take some stress. Are the measurements like the HH clone plans in the link below?
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...read.php?t=670

How do the tie outs integrate into the underquilt suspension loops? I was thinking of adding those to my hammock build; but I was just going to add some soft nylon loops along the secondary seam just to hold the underquilt, but I like the explanation about pulling it taut to hold the bug net off you.

(Oops, maybe this question belongs in the other thread: Here was the picture

For my tie outs, I used 1/2" Beastee Dee D Rings from DIY Gear Supply - Plenty strong. I used 1/2" grossgrain to attach them. For my newest hammock, I also added pack hooks in a couple places for when I hook up the winter UQ. As long as the tie outs use a short piece of shock cord, I don't believe it puts any real stress on the hammock at all, so 1/2" grossgrain is more than enough to hold it. It's worked fine for the last dozen hammocks I've made. Really, all the tie outs do is pull the net away from you and give you more room in the hammock.

I made my tie outs 28" off center. I think Headchange4u used 26". I used the 28" only because it was in my comfort zone. I put it in line with my shoulders both ways.

I see no problem with loops or d rings - same thing. You can add as many as you want to use for attachment points.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Underquilts.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast