Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images

How To Install A Bug Net The Easy Way

I seem to be adding a lot of bug nets to hammocks for friends and family lately and wish to share an easy, nearly fool proof way to measure and install the net. By no means is this the only way to install a net, but it works beautifully for me and cuts the install process in half, time wise.

I only have to get in the hammock and test the net tension once and make only one or two quick adjustments before it's right - usually around where my feet lay. I used to have the net too tight or too loose or a mix of all of the above.

Several members on the forum have a method that involve math and measuring. I got tired of not getting the measurements right and having the net look really bad, so I thought of a simple method requiring only one measurement - just the length. I'm not great with math or geometry anymore.

The pictures show the step by step process which has worked on 4 hammocks of different lengths and widths. I've only had to make very minor adjustments that took seconds to perform. The netting has gone on with just the right amount of tension.

The secret is to hang the hammock tight and have the side pulls tight - this forms a nice rectangle to work with. I hang the hammock about chest height so I don't have to bend over.

Be aware that I sew the zipper coil on first! With the tight rectangle, all I do is measure the length end to end and add 4 or so inches for a good overlap.

As an example - my new hammock has an end to end (lengthwise along the ridgeline) measurement of 96". I cut a piece of 55/56" wide nooseeum 104" long.
    I drape the netting over the hammock and position it correctly.

I don't pull the netting tight! I let the weight of the net droop by itself over the ridgeline - it's hard to picture, but it's like a swimming pool cover - tight on the sides with a droop in the middle. Doing it this way has turned out nearly perfect tensioning on the net.

Once I see everything is in the right place, I simply pin the net to the zipper coil. Once that's done, I unzip the net and get in the hammock to check the net tension. The only spots I've had to loosen were right where my feet go - the net would be a bit tight in that area. Then I get out and loosen the area that was tight and re-pin it - it's usually only a half inch or so adjustment.

After the first 2 hammocks, I don't bother with checking the tension again.

The entire process from hanging the hammock tight to bringing the hammock inside to sew the net on, takes me 30-40 minutes and I'm slow! Most of that time is spent pinning the net in place.

I know the word "droop" isn't very descriptive or scientific, but once you let the fabric "droop" under it's own weight, you'll see what I mean. Some of the pictures show the droop quite nicely. The droop with the hammock tight will go away once you hang the hammock normally. The tension on the net will be very close to perfect - it will be snug without being too tight.

I hope this helps those that are having trouble getting that net on correctly.

So - on to the pictures!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Great step by step.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    I am ready to do this to one of my hammocks today. I'm so glad I saw this first. Thank you.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Thanks for the post and pics!
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Great step by step.
    Thank you, gunner!

Quote Originally Posted by GregB View Post
    I am ready to do this to one of my hammocks today. I'm so glad I saw this first. Thank you.
    Thanks, Greg and I hope your net job turns out ok!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Thanks for the post and pics!
    Your welcome, Bubba!

I should mention that I pulled the tie outs straight out - not angled down to the floor, but straight across to the wall, so the entire side is pulled out tight. The first pictures show this if you look closely.

As a side note, I put bug nets on 2 hammocks this afternoon and sewed them up in less than 3 hours (I actually had lunch in that time space also). It doesn't take long at all. I'll post pictures of the sewing process tomorrow.
    Last edited by Lost_Biker; 07-06-2013 at 21:11.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Here's a different hammock I also did today. You can see the tie outs attached to the wall up high to pull the sides out straight.

The second picture shows the amount of net "droop" when it's pinned. It may look like a lot, but it tightens up just right when you hang the hammock in the "normal" set-up position.

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Nice tutorial, nice and simple just what I need
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    WWBB
    Tarp
    UQ.com Maxtarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ & M50 UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchness + Straps
    Images
    Me likeee!!!
    Directionally challenged...comicly so.

Not all who wonder are lost...But I'm probably just lost.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountnman View Post
    Nice tutorial, nice and simple just what I need
    Thank you, Moutnman! I don't know if anyone else did it this way, but it cuts down on the frustration quite a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by HomeMadeHiker View Post
    Me likeee!!!
    Lol! Thanks HomeMadeHiker!

Here's a break down of the time spent on adding a bugnet.

1. Sew 6-8" of the ends to make the tube - sorry, it's early and I'm working on the coffee - timed at 10 minutes.
    2. Sew on the zipper and coil on both sides - 25 minutes.
    3. Cut and pin on the bug net and make any adjustments - 35 minutes.
    4. Sew the net to the zipper - 40 minutes.

Just under 2 hours. What I like about this method is that the pinned areas are very straight, so sewing goes very fast as long as I don't stray off course or have to change bobbins. I also use LOTS of pins! 1 every 3-4 inches.

After sewing the netting on, I take a very sharp pair of small scissors and trim the excess net.

For the ends, I bar tack the foot end and cut the head end so it totally separates from the hammock. Very easy. The net comes off on one end and will be packed into a peak bag at the foot end.
    Last edited by Lost_Biker; 07-07-2013 at 06:33. Reason: spelling corrections

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post
    1. Sew 6-8" of the ends to make the tube ...
    um...huh? Oh, do you mean you sew the ends of the hammock to make tubes? I think I get it...

2. Sew on the zipper and coil on both sides...
    Wasn't expecting that.

For the ends, I bar tack the foot end and cut the head end so it totally separates from the hammock. Very easy. The net comes off on one end and will be packed into a peak bag at the foot end.
    Whoa, dude! Wasn't expecting THAT!!! That's cool! I guess the length of your zipper is dependent on the length of your hammock? Do you make the tubes on the ends of the hammock so that the remaining "hole" corresponds to the length of your zipper?

Your finished product is very professional looking. I should only hope to make something half as nice! Thanks so much for making this tutorial!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast