Clark nx 250, WB xlc 1.7dbl,WB rr d
    Tarp
    OMW, vertex
    Insulation
    incubator0,phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopie,atlas,web

cooking under the tarp

I have seen several people cook from their hammocks and wondered how safe it is? I have a kelly kettle could I use that under the tarp?

Hammock
    DIY HCFU
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I might get some raised eyebrows for saying this, but despite seeing a lot of references to people cooking and eating/drinking coffee, etc. in the hammock, I personally don't eat or keep food or anything that might smell like food (toothpaste, flavored lip balm, etc.) in my hammock (as I wouldn't in a tent). Perhaps I'm paranoid or working with outdated information, but I'm pretty sure bears would do significant damage to a hammock (whether they injure the occupant or not), and even raccoons might get annoying. Everything I've read (and practiced) involves not even cooking at my campsite, but rather another location several hundred feet away. I'm not sure about cooking under a tarp (whether cooking smells might attach themselves to the tarp), as far as fire goes I think it would be fine as long as you don't let the flame get close to the material and have plenty of ventilation. I defer to those with better knowledge, but that's my $.02.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I don't have a kelly but do have another style of chimney kettle and I would be very hesitant to use it under a tarp. The very focused heat that comes out of the kettle is a lot different than say a alky stove or a canister stove. Generally speaking as long as you have decent ventilation and are working with a small controlled level of heat I think it is fine. I do it on occasion but I usually have my tarp (if it is set up at all) in porch mode so there is lots of room from that ground up to the tarp.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Tarp
    OMW, vertex
    Insulation
    incubator0,phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopie,atlas,web
    Quote Originally Posted by Doublestuff View Post
    I might get some raised eyebrows for saying this, but despite seeing a lot of references to people cooking and eating/drinking coffee, etc. in the hammock, I personally don't eat or keep food or anything that might smell like food (toothpaste, flavored lip balm, etc.) in my hammock (as I wouldn't in a tent). Perhaps I'm paranoid or working with outdated information, but I'm pretty sure bears would do significant damage to a hammock (whether they injure the occupant or not), and even raccoons might get annoying. Everything I've read (and practiced) involves not even cooking at my campsite, but rather another location several hundred feet away. I'm not sure about cooking under a tarp (whether cooking smells might attach themselves to the tarp), as far as fire goes I think it would be fine as long as you don't let the flame get close to the

material and have plenty of ventilation. I defer to those with better knowledge, but that's my $.02.
    You know I knew about the food near the tent thing and never related it to the hammock, thanks.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OMW, vertex
    Insulation
    incubator0,phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopie,atlas,web
    Ok so those that do not cook next to their hammock where do you cook in the rain?

I like to have my alcohol stove ready and make coffee from the hammock.You really need to be careful of the pressurized types.A blast of flame the wrong direction when you accidently tip it over can do serious damage to a UQ.I think I saw a pic on this forum from someone who had this happen.Might seem boneheaded but I almost did it too but tipped it away from the hammock.I use the fancy fest type now which is much more forgiving.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Rayn and I had a fire under a tarp in this trip report

The first time it is shown is about at the 3 minute mark. This system worked great.

Images
    I don't think I'd use a wood stove of any sort under my tarp. Too much heat. I've used the alky stove without issue.

For cooking in the rain, if the tarp isn't an option, then I'd probably eat snacks or the next day's no-cook lunch and cook my dinner for lunch the next day.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I have used and Emberlit wood stove under a tarp, that was in porch mode, with no problems. And you are correct, you shouldn't be cooking and sleeping at the same spot, at least if you have bears in the area. And it seems like most places these days, do........RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Round here we don't have many bears. Some wolves, but they don't care about food smells as much as they like to kill everything that moves.

Chipmunks are the real problem at most camp sites I frequent. Seen the destroy a tent and a pack before.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast