Hammock
    hammock bliss soon to upgrade
    Tarp
    silnylon
    Insulation
    preferably none
    Suspension
    twine and stick
    Will have to check out bunnings for that no-see-um equivalent. Sounds like a winner to me.

Just a quick update; the ripstop I got from my local spotlight. It came in at approximately 72gsm. It's not the lightest stuff but it'll do until I can source some 38gsm ripstop at a reasonable price.

If you go alright with that stuff from rope galore i might grab a length myself.

Cheers

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaExp View Post
    Will have to check out bunnings for that no-see-um equivalent. Sounds like a winner to me.

Just a quick update; the ripstop I got from my local spotlight. It came in at approximately 72gsm. It's not the lightest stuff but it'll do until I can source some 38gsm ripstop at a reasonable price.

If you go alright with that stuff from rope galore i might grab a length myself.

Cheers
    Yeah I made a hammock for my 3 1/2 year old daughter with the Spotlight ripstop, haven't hung it yet, but if this rain clears tomorrow maybe the day with her new whoopie sling suspension.

Just finished making my first whoopie slings . Loved it, wish I had done it sooner. I need to make some for my hammock now.

The Ocean 12 was easy to use but will see what it like with some weight on it, though I know there won't be any issues. I actually emailed the makers of it prior to my purchase, Donaghys, and they stated it was perfect for this application. The Ocean 12 is listed to be used for whoopie slings on one of their brochures, not for hammocks though .

The needle I used as the tool was called a "joining needle for dolls" and was sold in a pack of 3 at Spotlight. I used the longer of the 3 and it made the process very simple. I would recommend this as a tool, I think for a pack of 3 they cost around $5-$6.00 or thereabouts.

My wife loves the fact that I get excited to go to Spotlight now .

Australian DIY'ers

This may be getting a bit ahead of myself but for those with a desire to DIY a Cuben Fibre tarp or stuff sacks, etc.... I have found the Ultra High Bond Tape at tapesonline.com.au They have clear 12 & 24 mm width tape @ .5 mm thickness in 33m rolls. I haven't used any yet, but it's definitely on my 'to-do' list....
    Oh yeah, they sell min order of single rolls @ 'wholesale' prices. I think the above tapes start @ $39- per roll, which I thought was good value for German manufactured UHB tape. Certainly cheaper than I have been quoted on 3M stuff.
    Last edited by Ol Grumpy; 07-18-2013 at 07:18.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol Grumpy View Post
    This may be getting a bit ahead of myself but for those with a desire to DIY a Cuben Fibre tarp or stuff sacks, etc.... I have found the Ultra High Bond Tape at tapesonline.com.au They have clear 12 & 24 mm width tape @ .5 mm thickness in 33m rolls. I haven't used any yet, but it's definitely on my 'to-do' list....
    Grumpy - so with the stuff sacks would you use it to seal over the stitching?

Australian DIY'ers

No the tape is double sided... So you are actually more like welding the edges. You still seam the edges and French seam two pieces together- or ends for a sack. With CF, it is a plastic like laminate and stitching is not the best way to join it.
    I'm a builder and I have jack off toolboxes on my utes- like thunderbird pods- the lift up access doors are large aluminium panels and the stiffeners in these panels are 'w' shaped extrusions that are simply stuck in with UHB tape. I tore one of these doors off on a telephone post by driving off with the door open... Where the stiffener was ripped off by the impact... It literally tore the aluminium panel off underneath. This stuff is pretty amazing... More good gear that has filtered down from the space program... Just like carbon fibre, Mylar (skrim inner laminate of Cuben fibre), milk in a tube, etc

Images
    Thanks Grumpy. Sounds like good stuff.

Hammock
    hammock bliss soon to upgrade
    Tarp
    silnylon
    Insulation
    preferably none
    Suspension
    twine and stick
    That tape sounds amazing. Are you guys importing most of your high quality fabrics?

I went to bunnings and had no luck with the mozzie net its all fibreglass or aluminium. There is another one in town, next time I am there i'll have a poke around. Spotlights got a 40% off fabric sale on at the moment.

Hows that ocean 12 going Mr. Ploppy?

I've finished my hammock just need to make up the suspension system, also made a bikepacking frame bag out of an old canvas tarp. Mozzie net cocoon next....

What are you guys building?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaExp View Post
    That tape sounds amazing. Are you guys importing most of your high quality fabrics?

I went to bunnings and had no luck with the mozzie net its all fibreglass or aluminium. There is another one in town, next time I am there i'll have a poke around. Spotlights got a 40% off fabric sale on at the moment.

Hows that ocean 12 going Mr. Ploppy?

I've finished my hammock just need to make up the suspension system, also made a bikepacking frame bag out of an old canvas tarp. Mozzie net cocoon next....

What are you guys building?
    The Ocean 12 is working well. I made up some some whoopies and continuous loops, which I used on my Hennessy and on my home made hammock for the kids. I have just received some more Ocean 12 for future projects.

This weekend I got a heap more fabric from Spotlight to make up some more hammocks for myself, wife and other family . Then I am going to branch out into other stuff, which will require ordering fabric and insulation from overseas.

Images

Australian Made webbing

Hi all,

Does anyone know where to source local polyester webbing for tree straps, suspension etc?

Cheers

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Try good ol' Bunnings again......tie down straps section, just cut off the heavy cam buckle, unless you wish to experiment with it. 1inch/ 25mm wide. They come in different lengths, 1,2, 4 & 6m long. Good for 300kg. There's also 38mm, good for 650kg
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast