Hammock
    ENO DN as of right now.
    Tarp
    Silnylon Equinox
    Insulation
    Down Sleeping Bag

Mohican State Park in Ohio

Hello all!

I am planning a trip with my wife to the Mohican State Park. She is new to the hammock world and still a little unsure of it, I thought one of the park and pack sites would be well suited from what I hear.

I personally have never been there. I know there are 10 sites. Can anyone tell me which one or ones are best suited for hammocks? We don't need a big site since it will only be the two of us.

Thanks for the info! - Woody
    "If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money."

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Great plan, I haven't been to all the sites but can't imagine any of the park and packs not being excellent for hanging. The Ohio gang does Mohican every other month or so. Recently we've discovered how much we like sites 1, 2 and 3, they are near water and access through the bridle trail. Also we've done quite a few outings up on 8, 9 & 10, they are on top of the gorge and the mountain bike trail weaves closely past them.

Have a great outing and don't forget to register at the Forestry Ranger's office, there is a kiosk across the street from his house in front of the maintenance garages. They like to see that little slip of paper in the windshield of your vehicle where you park.

David

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    8 is small and not much in the way of hanging.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Site 7 is not great. My favorite is site 10. Its at the top of the ridge with plenty of places to hang. I really like site 2 as its next to Pine Run Creek but it is right on the trail, which is a bridle trail, so not a lot of privacy and more flies this time of the year. Be aware that if you plan on staying at sites 2-4 you will be crossing Pine Run Creek at least once and with all the rain we've been having you'll be getting wet.

Be sure to hike the Lyons Falls trail (starts at the covered bridge). With all the rain the Big & Little Lyons Falls should be particularly nice.

There are both free and "for sale" trail maps available at the office for Campground A which opens at 8am.

The Hemlock Trail, which runs along the river, had a couple of dicey spots when I was there 3 weeks ago but a definite "must" for great river views. I played tag with a Crane along most of the trail last time out but never got close enough for good photo.
    Last edited by Trail Runner; 07-07-2013 at 09:35. Reason: Forgot to mention...

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    Images
    I assumed you were referring to the 10 walk-in camp sites on this map (lower right): http://www.mohicanstatepark.org/images/Mohican.jpg. However, I'm hearing stuff about site 2 being next to a creek, and having to cross a creek, and now I'm confused.
    Traveling from West to East, and from East to West.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jmstallard View Post
    I assumed you were referring to the 10 walk-in camp sites on this map (lower right): http://www.mohicanstatepark.org/images/Mohican.jpg. However, I'm hearing stuff about site 2 being next to a creek, and having to cross a creek, and now I'm confused.
    That map shows campground sites, not the Park & Pack sites being referred to above. Go to Backpack Ohio to learn about those sites.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    Images
    Ahh! Thanks for the correction. Those sites look nice.
    Traveling from West to East, and from East to West.

Hammock
    ENO DN as of right now.
    Tarp
    Silnylon Equinox
    Insulation
    Down Sleeping Bag
    Hi all sorry for the late response getting back. Work has been crazy this week. Thanks for all the input. This rain sure has put a damper on things but I guess I'd rather the rain than no rain. Happy trails everyone!
    "If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money."

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    If you are looking at the lower sites 1-4 checkout my video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SuBowokbG4. Sorry for the quality my first video. there are other on the higher trails on you tube as well.

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    Is the Ohio Gang doing another hang there any time soon?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast