WBBB
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    SS
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post

Last weekend I added a SuperShelter with the undercover and under pad, synthetic long johns and fleece, and was good to 25 degrees. I felt like I could have probably gone lower in that setup, but I was prepared to add my rainsuit as a vapor barrier if needed.
    Did you use the SS instead of the CCF pads or in addition? And did you use a space blanket or other vapor barrier on top of the underpad? Any condensation?

cheers. Oh, and not to be a total hijacker, I've used a 3/4 length, 1/2 inch blue CCF pad for years in my hammock. It's generally warm (can't call it comfortable) into the mid 40s.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Manbert View Post
    Did you use the SS instead of the CCF pads or in addition? And did you use a space blanket or other vapor barrier on top of the underpad? Any condensation?
    I used the SS in addition to the rest that night. I did not use a space blanket, and the CCF pad actually is a vapor barrier (doesn't breathe, so vapor cannot pass through) I did not have any condensation that night, but I have had some in the past. I think it depends on the wind; that night it was pretty windy.

Just to be clear, I have used a space blanket with the SS, between the hammock fabric and the OCF underpad, and had very good results. I have gotten some condensation, but I wouldn't call it a lot. Any time you use a vapor barrier correctly, from what I have been able to gather, you will get some condensation. I have done some testing with this system in cold wind, and found that the addition of the space blanket made the system significantly warmer than either the undercover alone, under pad alone, or undercover with underpad but no SB. But, that's for me. YMMV.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12