Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pad for hh

Hammock
    HH explorer
    Insulation
    still looking

pad for hh

i was woundering how i wood get by with blue pad from walmart and a 20 degree bag no uq?

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    My first setup was a 3/8" CCF pad from Walmart and a Wiggy's 20 deg bag. I was good to about 32 deg. An additional ccf pad and a 0 Deg bag got into the teens with the right clothing.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    DIY Speer type,double 1.7blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    winter pheonix
    Suspension
    webbing
    ??????????????????

Hammock
    DIY Speer type,double 1.7blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    winter pheonix
    Suspension
    webbing
    [QUOTE=bama29;106677]i was woundering how i wood get by with blue pad from walmart and a 20 degree bag no uq?[/QUO

What I meant to say is, if Im reading this right you live in Florida, are you taking a trip somewhere colder.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Zparks Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    marlin/whoopie
    I tried this the other day (Walmat blue eggcrate pad and 20 degree quilt) and found I was a bit cold underneath with temps in the low 20s. Had to add something else under me. So I think the Walmart pad is only good to about freezing. Of course this depends on the wind. When the wind would pick up I would really feel it.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 silnylon
    Insulation
    CCF, Exped Synmat
    Suspension
    Buckles/carabiners
    Use a second pad under your upper body for below freezing, or use a single Texsport dual-foam pad.

Hammock
    HH explorer
    Insulation
    still looking
    I grew up in alabama and help build some of the pinhito trail back in the 70,s i go back there and hike some of it every year, thats where im gonna use my hammock for the first time.man i cant wait probably around the first of april, i have a 30 degree bag that i was thinking i mite make a uq out of would that be enough with my 20 degree bag for a blanket? would i need something to put over the hammock to block the wind?thanks in advance

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    hang your tarp low and close to cut the wind. best bet would be to test the system before you get out if at all possible. Always a good thing to have a back up plan incase things go sour.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've used an army-issue CCF with a cut-down Wal-Mart blue pad cross-ways at shoulder level along with my 15 deg Sierra Designs bag and was comfortable to the low 40's. Actually, to be truthful I was comfortable once I vented the bag a lot--woke up roasting hot.

Last weekend I added a SuperShelter with the undercover and under pad, synthetic long johns and fleece, and was good to 25 degrees. I felt like I could have probably gone lower in that setup, but I was prepared to add my rainsuit as a vapor barrier if needed.

None of that may apply to you, however. I tend to sleep cold in Winter and warm in Summer, but you may have a totally different comfort range. The advice to test first is good--bagging it is always an option in the backyard!
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

I've tried a few configurations like others here. Here is what I've found to work very well in cold weather with my Hennessey Hammock:

1. Exped downmat 9 dlx (I got one from Sierratradingpost.com shipped for ~$80 with a 30% off coupon), it measures 76"x26"x3.5"

2. $6 walmart blue pad cut shorter (about 50 to 56" in length) and placed sideways under Exped mat at my chest area. The pad extends up the sides about 15" to prevent my arms from touching side of hammock or compressing sleeping bag against side of hammock. Placed sideways, the pad and downmat form a small "t" (similar logic to the segmented pad extender sold by Speer hammocks).

This combination will take you down to very low temperatures, certainly lower than 20F, with a good sleeping bag and appropriate clothing (e.g., long sleeve wool shirt, similar leggings, socks, knit hat).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast