Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Tarp talk: What would be best?

I have decided the JRB BMB hammock is going to be the next in my collection and my primary camping hammock. I know there are some issues with bridge hammocks and tarps. My plan is this. When I order (next few weeks) this hammock I am going to use it under a typical blue painters tarp. I have zero experience with tarps and hope hanging a few nights under a cheap tarp will help me find likes and dislikes before buying a real tarp. These are my questions.
    1. Any advise to make hanging under a painters tarp more enjoyably? Any tips? I know it can be noisy and hard to get tight but this will be a temporary thing. Weight will not be an issue because I will be car camping.

2. Any advise on a good tarp that fits the JRB BMB hammock?

My typical camping trip usually involve bad weather. In the winter I head north to camp in snow. In the summer we get monsoon season which can be windy and lots of rain. I want something big enough to accommodate the bridge hammock without the spreader bars rubbing much on the tarp. I would like it big enough so I can cook, and relax under it in bad weather. Money would be a bigger problem than tarp weight. I would also like a tarp that seals up really good to prevent wind from blowing snow, rain, and especially sand in. I've been looking at the JRB and Speers winter tarps. They seem like they would be big enough but the turn off is the "doors" dont seem to close that much. Having zero experience with tarps I dont know if thats a big deal or not? Anyway any help would be much appreciated. Hope this order is not to tall to fill.

P.S I dont sew. A DYI is not an option for me

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    The JRB 11x10 in it's baker-hut pitch is a nice option for the BMB.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I don't have any experience with the BMB directly, but I've fooled around with ways to maximize the amount of space beneath my hammock. Grip clips and hiking poles could become your new best friends. Look under the tarps section in the hammock forums gallery - there are all kinds of clever pictures in there with ideas on how to pitch a tarp.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    The JRB 11x10 in it's baker-hut pitch is a nice option for the BMB.
    Looks cool http://www.jacksrbetter.com/DSC00311...eb%20Small.JPG but doesnt look like that much protection if wind is blowing stuff (rain, snow, dirt) around. I could be very wrong though.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    I don't have any experience with the BMB directly, but I've fooled around with ways to maximize the amount of space beneath my hammock. Grip clips and hiking poles could become your new best friends. Look under the tarps section in the hammock forums gallery - there are all kinds of clever pictures in there with ideas on how to pitch a tarp.
    I have been browsing around there. I think grip clips will be a must to give the spreader bars room. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Quilt+HG Inc20
    My very first tarp was with a net hammock and clear painters tarp, and I recall that duct tape was a great source for adding new tieouts at will - try giving that a shot if you are looking for extra corner/side tieouts, as well as using gripclips in the center sections. Play around with different configurations to find one that you like
    Brian MacMillin
    www.OutdoorEquipmentSupplier.com
    Home of the new MacCat Gen4 hammock tarps

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Zparks Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    marlin/whoopie
    I second the grip clips recommendation. They work great with my JRB 11x10 tarp.

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Consider the Sportsman's Guide Guide Gear tarp. 12'x12', approx. 2 lbs., $30. I've got one and I'm happy with it. They've got them back in stock now, but only in dull white. No more Neo camo tarps for the time being.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    Looks cool http://www.jacksrbetter.com/DSC00311...eb%20Small.JPG but doesnt look like that much protection if wind is blowing stuff (rain, snow, dirt) around. I could be very wrong though.
    RT, et al,

If you want full coverage and closing doors consider the JRB Hammock Hut... http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Hammock%20Hut.htm

Although it was initially concieved and designed as a true four sided shelter for gathered end hammocks, a BMBH will fit...Smee used this set up at the Winter hang this year at Mt Rogers.... HC4U also used one at the same hang with his WBBB....

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    RT, et al,

If you want full coverage and closing doors consider the JRB Hammock Hut... http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Hammock%20Hut.htm

Although it was initially concieved and designed as a true four sided shelter for gathered end hammocks, a BMBH will fit...Smee used this set up at the Winter hang this year at Mt Rogers.... HC4U also used one at the same hang with his WBBB....

Pan
    Is the hammock hut as complicated as it looks? How well does the BMBH fit under the 11x10 tarp? I have been looking at some pics and comments (I think grizzadams?) posted on another thread. The idea was closing off one end and leaving the opposite end open. This might work for me if Im smart enough to predict the wind direction!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast