Eno singlenest + mods
    Tarp
    Kelty 9' + Mods
    Insulation
    Marmot minimalist
    Suspension
    Eno Atlas
    Images

Lightbulb Quick n Easy mod to increase setup and tear down time significantly!!

i have attached a few photos below for visual aid. Basically instead of storing all parts of the shelter system individually what i've done is put two knots on my ridgeline that i attach my suspension caribeaners to. From there i basically attach my Tree straps, sleeping bag, and hammock to the caibeaner. Leaving the bugnet attached to the ridgeline i simply roll everything up into the tarp. I have made a custom stuff sack to fit my specific dimensions. Total weight is 7lbs. Not too bad. This has made a lot more space in my pack, cut about four stuff sacks, increased my setup/tear down time from 12 mins to just over 5 mins. I hope this helps. Let me know what ya think.

Here is a YouTube video i made which can help explain a little better. http://youtu.be/Sps7Y_xcIY4
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY DL & GTUL
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    IX UQ, CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Um, don't you mean DECREASE your setup and tear down time.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Nice video and instructions - thanks. We know it's to decrease not increase - was still a chuckle to read the post header - I just had to look!
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I like the way your carabiner attaches to the ridgeline with a larkshead knot. If it ever slips on you, you could try a prussic knot instead. The one you used for your tarp looks bombproof. If you can detach the hammock + bugnet + sleeping bag as a single unit and pack them together you'll still save time, and you'll be able to pack the tarp separately (outside mesh pocket?) in case it's wet.

(Haven't seen your video yet, so apologies if you covered these points already.)

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Interesting. Nice but pay attention to WV. Separate tarp makes rainy days a lot less of a hassle. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Wet suspension and wet tarp in the same stuff sack with hammock, sleeping bag and bugnet? That sounds like a steep price to pay for reducing setup/tear down time.

Also, I can't fathom why you are intertwining hammock and tarp suspension in that way. As soon as you weight the hammock, doesn't it affect the tarp suspension? Hennessy has the tarp suspension connected to the hammock suspension, but you seem to have the hammock suspension connected to the tarp suspension. Seems less than ideal.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Also, I can't fathom why you are intertwining hammock and tarp suspension in that way. As soon as you weight the hammock, doesn't it affect the tarp suspension? Hennessy has the tarp suspension connected to the hammock suspension, but you seem to have the hammock suspension connected to the tarp suspension. Seems less than ideal.
    No, I think he has it right. With the hammock suspension points closer to the trees, the center part of the ridgeline tightens up when you get into the hammock, keeping the tarp ridge taut. You need something to cope with water running down the hammock suspension lines, but the carabiners may act as drip rings, partially solving that problem. You might need something smaller to handle drips just under the tarp, too.

Hammock
    Eno singlenest + mods
    Tarp
    Kelty 9' + Mods
    Insulation
    Marmot minimalist
    Suspension
    Eno Atlas
    Images

Re: Quick n Easy mod to increase setup and tear down time significantly!!

Sorry i mean decrease yes. A couple things to clear up. I use the eno atlas suspension for the hammock. The ridgeline just holds the tarp up. Its just all connect to the ridgeline for storage as one piece. The tarp is a prusick knot attached to an s-caribeaner, which then attaches to my tarp for easy removal of a wet tarp. I have swewn thin velcro strips to keep my tarp rolled up and elongated like a snake skin for hanging outside a pack. I hope the video clarifies this.

Sounds like you have come up with a solution that works for you, looks promising.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

I have a Clark NX-250 and hang my tarp first. I have attached short loops of Zing-it to the top loops on the arches of the hammock which hook to a mini-biner on each end of the tarp. They are fairly taught so the hammock is pulled up and under the tarp keeping it covered and off the ground. Then I can attach the suspension to the trees while the hammock stays dry. Has worked well in strong wind and rain thus far.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast