Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    SBPro/Speer DIY
    Tarp
    8x10 shiny green
    Insulation
    ThermoRest
    Images
    I can see that, Hooch, but once the SR is tied... it's fairly static, right? So how much adjustment would it need? The weight difference is obvious, but enough to be a concern? How long is an SR; 8'? :shrug:

Bear with my questions; I'm only trying to understand better the advantages of the uber-sexy spectra and amsteel.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    The structural ridgeline is static once it's weighted, yes. You shouldn't need to adjust a structural ridgeline at all, once you find your sweet spot and a length for it that works for you. You'll find that most folks ridgelines are different lengths. This is because no two hangers like the exact amount of sag in thier hammock for comfort. The length of the ridgeline takes some playing around and experimenting with to find your comfort zone.

As far as the weight difference being a concern, that's up to you. Are you hiking or car camping? I'm no gram weenie or uber-lighter (NTTATWWT), but I don't want my pack to be any heavier than it has to be, either. I use a Spectra structural ridgeline for my hammock and am going to add an AmSteel ridgeline to my girlfriend's hammock as soon as it comes it. Get what works for you, just bear in mind that if you do go with a webbing structural ridgeline, get a material that isn't going to stretch like nylon. Avoid it at all costs. If I were to use webbing for a ridgeline (and I wouldn't), I'd use polyester. But that's just me. Happy hanging no matter what you choose.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    SBPro/Speer DIY
    Tarp
    8x10 shiny green
    Insulation
    ThermoRest
    Images
    Word, Hooch.

I certainly wasn't being critical of any setup; I'm waaaaaaay to green to even have an opinion! I'm just trying to understand the automatic usage of cordage over webbing for the structural ridgeline. Sure, it's easier to use and slightly lighter, but it's also a lot more expensive.

Thanks for your reply!

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bukkit View Post
    I'm just trying to understand the automatic usage of cordage over webbing for the structural ridgeline. Sure, it's easier to use and slightly lighter, but it's also a lot more expensive.
    Just for me, I'd rather pay more for the cordage and not have to worry about it. Not to mention the ease of use. Even good cordage like AmSteel is still pretty cheap, if you ask me. And although it is still more expensive than webbing, most folks here will tell you that good cordage is well worth what you pay for it.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12