Thread: DIY Underquilt

DIY Underquilt

Hi all
    thinking of making my own underquilt for my HH for a Western Australian winter which the coldest I have seen is -5c was thinking of going the synthetic option and using the KAQ template but putting in a velcro access for bottom entry. I am not sure wether I need something like the Super Shelter undercover to protect it all or wether this would just introduce condensation? any ideas?

cheers
    Adrian

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MongooseDownUnder View Post
    Hi all
    thinking of making my own underquilt for my HH for a Western Australian winter which the coldest I have seen is -5c was thinking of going the synthetic option and using the KAQ template but putting in a velcro access for bottom entry. I am not sure wether I need something like the Super Shelter undercover to protect it all or wether this would just introduce condensation? any ideas?

cheers
    Adrian
    Hi Mongoose...

I'm not sure where in Western Australia you're considering, but I think there's quite a bit of range in rainfall between the west and north-west. Here in Ontario, we've been averaging about 75mm of precip/month.

My own inclination would be to build an underquilt rated to -5c and then build an underquilt protector which should add another few degees of warmth. Unless you expect some extremely foul or cold weather, a super-shelter might be overkill and you'll likely pay the price in condensation, and compromise your insulation. A larger tarp with griz-beaks will provide protection you need when the weather turns bad.

Currently I'm doing using a DIY underquilt with 3.5"- 4" baffles (tested down to about -26c) and a 12x10 DIY blackcat tarp. With the exception of electrical storms, I fear no weather.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

The weather is probably about the same as for the temerature i dont think it will ever get any colder than I stated but I happily go bush when it's pouring with rain. Does the undercover tend to cause condensation in your underquilt or the top of your shelter? Maybe I would be better with a larger tarp and no undercover, I assume this would be better for airflow to reduce condensation as well. I am happy for any advice anyone can give me as I am new to this.

cheers
    Adrian

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I only started using an underquit protector this year. Until then I trusted my large tarp and grizbeaks to keep my down quilts dry. Unless you're into a lot of foggy/misty weather, I'd get those beaks working before a protector. They'll all but eliminate blowing rain and when pitched low, reduce the heat-robbing drafts. That's been my experience. I prefer to over-engineer than ride the minimalist knife-edge of gear failure.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    HH UL Backpacker or Expedition
    Hi,
    I'm also in Perth, WA and want to make underquilts for a HH Expedition and HH UL but having an "interesting time" finding local Oz equivalent materials to those mentioned on the forum. Would really appreciate knowing what you use and your sources.

Also re the rain/condensation - have been also wondering how to keep dry in our winters (rain comes with wind here, and sparse canopy) - Grizz Beaks look a great option as I don't think the tiny HH tarps I have will cut it in our winter downpours.

What do you think?

Thanks
    Elaine
    Last edited by Sailspirit99; 07-09-2013 at 11:30.

I believe you can get simple ripstop nylon and insulation from spotlight but I think it is relatively cheap to import from the US. Maybe we could do a group buy. I am at the moment only interested in good synthetic insulation due to the amount of moisture we get and I like just being able to throwy gear in the shed when I get home.

• + New Posts