Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Anything pinching the whoopies is bad news. If your using the whoopie to "tie" the triglides and attach the treehuggers by adjusting the tree hugger on the triglides, it does work. I'm guessing that's what you mean.
    For me, it's too many moving parts with the whoopies adjusting and the triglides/treehugger adjusting and xtra securing of each line to ensure no slipping. I like it simple with less.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Have you considered the Dutch all-in-one whoopie hook suspension?

I converted all my hammocks to this suspension. There's no marlin spike hitch, and you can disconnect the suspension from the hammock if it's wet.
    Only 3.7 ounces including continuous loops for the hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    Anything pinching the whoopies is bad news. If your using the whoopie to "tie" the triglides and attach the treehuggers by adjusting the tree hugger on the triglides, it does work. I'm guessing that's what you mean.
    For me, it's too many moving parts with the whoopies adjusting and the triglides/treehugger adjusting and xtra securing of each line to ensure no slipping. I like it simple with less.
    Have a look at the Elephant buckle. I'm envisioning a similar buckle, but with a closed "trunk" and with only two openings for the webbing. Coming from the adjustable webbing suspension, I find it too cumbersome to pass the whole remaining end of the webbing back through the slider to lock it. The Triglides are much more simple. Just one moving part. Everything attached. Nothing to loose.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Have you considered the Dutch all-in-one whoopie hook suspension?

I converted all my hammocks to this suspension. There's no marlin spike hitch, and you can disconnect the suspension from the hammock if it's wet.
    Only 3.7 ounces including continuous loops for the hammock.
    Yes, I have seen the whoopie hook. What I don't like about it is, that it attaches the whoopies with the "wrong" end to the hammock. It's the same with the all-in-one suspension, which I discarded for exactly that reason. The adjustable part of the whoopie gets out of reach if you have to hang your hammock long distance (which I frequently had to - the alternative was no hanging...). I would like the fixed end of the whoopies to attach to the hammock, and the moving part to the tree hugger.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    The adjustable part of the whoopie gets out of reach if you have to hang your hammock long distance (which I frequently had to - the alternative was no hanging...). I would like the fixed end of the whoopies to attach to the hammock, and the moving part to the tree hugger.
    I don't understand. How does the adjustable part of the whoopie get out of reach? It's closer to the hammock; therefore, more reachable.

Hanging long distance between trees 18-30 feet apart will be sub-optimal for all suspension systems. If a strap-and-buckle system, or any other suspension system, has an advantage in that situation, I'd say that's a weak selling point.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Yes, hanging long distance sucks. But since the alternative is going to ground...

I guess if you haven't tried to hang (really) long distance, it's not immediately clear what I'm talking about. When you make the whoopies as long as possible, the fixed end will always stay the same distance to the part you have to access to adjust the length. If attached the other way round, this part slowly gets out of reach.

As here:

Since the whoopie slings always have to be attached somehow to the tree huggers, a permanent solution would actually be the easiest to handle.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    If that was my back yard, I'd have a special suspension just for that crappy scenario. In fact, the only anchors I have in my back yard are 25 ft. apart. However, I wouldn't build my hiking/hanging suspension on some crappy backyard conditions (though I did start out with 10 ft. whoopies and 10 ft. straps).

In the woods, I don't encounter the crappy options I encounter in my back yard. I base my suspension on what I'll encounter 90% of the time in the woods, not 10% of the time in my back yard. I can use continuous loops or dogbones to extend my suspension in worst-case scenarios.

We pack to our fears, they say. But sometimes you gotta ask yourself if you're packing for scenarios you will rarely encounter.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Unfortunately, this *is* a very common scenario for me. The experiences are from my 6-months New Zealand trip, where I cycled from campground to campground and had to take what was on offer. Most campgrounds in New Zealand (and in Germany, too) are completely built for tent and caravan campers. I was very happy when there were two trees within a distance that I could just about bridge. I would say that 50% of my hangs were long distance hangs as this one. I only had perfect conditions twice. That was bliss

I admit that my use of hammocks is totally different from most people here on the forum. You use your hammocks mostly to go back-country hiking. Which is fantastic if you have the opportunity, but Europe is densely populated. There is no true wilderness, and camping "wild" is forbidden in most countries (which doesn't mean it's not done). I use the hammock more for normal travelling than for backpacking, which means I have to make do with what I find...

As I said: not your average set-up

Still - if people like and use Elephant trunks, a Triglide "trunk" would make sense, too. It would be easier and enable a pretty much perfect all-in-one set-up.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images

I see your point about the attachment point.
    You may also want to consider using UCR's (Utility Constrictor Rope) instead of a whoopie sling for those extended distances. You can attach to a loop at the end of your treehugger and still have the adjustable side next to your hammy and using half the whoopie sling line.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Well all I gotta say to that is, "You ain't in Europe right now!"

Ha!