Thread: almost ready!!!

Hammock
    Eno
    Tarp
    diy cat cut
    Suspension
    whoopies

almost ready!!!

leaving for a 5 day hike on the AT on Friday! This is the 1st time I am going to be using a hammock, so I sincerely appreciate this forum! I have a single eno, a homemade tarp from tyvek, and I'm sewing up a bugnet that will hang from my ridgeline and either tuck under my sleeping bag or hang outside the hammock. I may clothes pin the net to the bag, but I'm not going to worry about it.

So what am I missing? I have a sleep mat, (2 actually) one is a BA, the other is a CCF. I thik I'll use the CCF and give my preggo friend the BA. ...yeah, I'm nice like that. Where do you kids put you pack?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Your hammock and sleeping gear seem to be all set. Though you may want to include a summer weight UQ. Since you didn't mention it I am assuming that you have cook kit, food, and other possibles all set to go. Do not forget a camera so you can document your trip and and post a report here when you return.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I have three different places I keep my pack depending on weather and laziness.

1. I use a Yeti for an underquilt, so when it's cold out I put my pack under my lower legs for insulation.
    2. My favorite: Just flopped under the tarp.
    3. Hung on my suspension, usually beneath the tarp.

If you are moving into the world of UL and SUL hiking then your pack probably doesn't have much in it once you've set-up your sleeping quarters. It can go just about anywhere at that point. If you're super paranoid about smells on your pack attracting bears, then hanging it like a bear bag is your best bet.

If you're looking to save a few more grams, consider just taking a bugnet for your head instead of one for the entire hammock. Your clothing, and or quilt/bag, will cover your body and arms, so your head is the only thing left exposed. Lighter than an entire hammock netting.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Eno
    Tarp
    diy cat cut
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Yup, I already have the equipment for extended hikes. I've tried to cut the weight as much as possible. I even made a few soda can stoves so I don't have to bring the burner set I've been using. I'll def. have pics after the hike to show off!
    I'm a wuss when it comes to bugs, sort of surprised I didn't just sew the net onto the hammock! I don't have an UQ. I'll consider making one after this trip. If the weather gets too cold, I have a tent I'm bringing for my friend, so I'll just crawl in. The only thing I'm skeptical about is the tarp. I've not been able to try it, and there may be t-storms. Thanks for the insights!

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I read another thread on here recently where it was suggested to sew pockets along the edge of your bug net. That way after you drape it over the ridgeline and let it hang past the edges of the hammock you can place pebbles in the pockets for weights to keep the edges hanging against the outside of the hammock.

Good luck on your trip!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    ANOTHER WAY: You can weigh the bugnet down by wrapping most anything you find in the net tie it so it stays then you have it

Best wishes on your hike
    Tom

• + New Posts