Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie stream-of-consciousness questions

Hi All. I went (tent) camping recently and there were several hammocks up in the group. They were only there for daytime fun, but it got me thinking about hammock camping. When I got back to a computer I began researching and found you all in the process. I've tried to read enough old threads to answer my easier questions, but I'm still left with a fair bunch. Hoping to call on the collective wisdom of the group. Many thanks in advance...

My initial search got me interested in the Hennessy Hammocks. I like the all in one aspect of it. When I got here I noticed it seems to be a fairly popular option, so I figured I was on to something. The other one that caught my eye was the Hammock Bliss Sky Bed. The pad pocket made sense to me, and I figured it would marry well with my ground set up- a Big Agnes bag and insulated air core pad. I've since read that pads are *not* comfortable in a hammock. Is this a ymmv situation, or are hammocks pretty universally more comfortable without a pad in them?

I was confused that the Sky Bed was touted as being the first with a truly asymmetrical design. I thought that's what the Hennessy was. But then I saw the thread on making a HH clone and it looked like it was rectangular with asymmetric tie-outs. Is that accurate? So it needs the tie-outs to benefit from its (pseudo?)- asymmetric design? The Sky Bed said it only needed two points of attachment, which could be beneficial since at this point I mostly family car camp.

Which then led me to wonder about the benefit of asymmetry at all, since I've seen people comment that it's just about the way you lay (lie?) and that a simple gathered end hammock is perfectly comfortable if you do it right.

I tend to be cold at night (although not the past few weeks- not sure what's up with this weather!). I am a big fan of wool, but I didn't see mention of it being used anywhere and I was wondering why.

I am a fairly accomplished seamstress (thread injector- cracked me up!). I love the idea of making my own gear for the potential cost savings, the pride, and the ability to customize. The problem I have is that I've never tried any, so I don't know what I'd like or want to change. I suppose I answered my own question there- I guess I need to start with a commercial set up and go from there... or make my own first and then go from there... arg... this is where I get stuck.

If you've stuck with me this far, thank you. I'm sure I'll have more questions in the near future.

~Jennifer

Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY
    I'm in my second year, like you was initially attracted to the HH, and bought an unused Explorer, then found in October HH has a sale!... 2QZQ ultimate zipper mod with added ridgeline pouch and stow bag at the head and foot (I think). Got a camo tarp with doors as well for stealth camping (making a camo motorcycle cover too).

Like you'll read in current threads, the HH cloth is tough and doesn't breath well, which can be a good thing. The NoSeeUm doesn't let much air flow through either. Your body heat will be retained with it closed, and the HH is designed for a low (smallish) tarp that cover much if it's high and rain comes.

I built a camo double layer that's 10' and 60" wide and it's roomier and more comfortable for me. I also got a Kelty 12x12 tarp to pitch high in porch mode to encourage breezes to blow over me, or be pitched down low with 'doors' for winter.

I got fed up with mats and bought a couple under quilts now and a couple top quilts, both of which can be doubled up for the really cold nights in Minnesota (so comfy at 8 degrees!) I've purchased and resold a few hammocks, and my current favorite is a double layer DangerBird72 in crinkle taffeta. I car and motorcycle camp and don't hike far from the vehicles, so it's weight it never an issue for me, I just make another trip!

I keep a few hammocks as spares, or for quick naps at rest areas when I don't need the whole setup. You may find yourself to be one of us that has to try a few to find what suits you. You learn with each one what you like or don't so begin to zero in. That's why the buy/sell/trade section is so heavily attended. If you buy used, you won't lose much when you pass it along to someone else if it doesn't please you.

There's also many fantastic design ideas and helpful souls that will be happy to teach what a felled seam is, how to seal ripstop edges while cutting it (solder iron!) and on and on. Jump on it, there's lots to learn and much much to enjoy! You're in good company here.

Look for a local hang to attend, even if it's just for a look at what folks use. You'll be welcomed, I'm sure.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss No-Seeum
    Tarp
    Aqua Quest
    Insulation
    CCF, Alpine 45 bag
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by domestikitty View Post
    Hi All. I went (tent) camping recently and there were several hammocks up in the group. They were only there for daytime fun, but it got me thinking about hammock camping. When I got back to a computer I began researching and found you all in the process. I've tried to read enough old threads to answer my easier questions, but I'm still left with a fair bunch. Hoping to call on the collective wisdom of the group. Many thanks in advance...

My initial search got me interested in the Hennessy Hammocks. I like the all in one aspect of it. When I got here I noticed it seems to be a fairly popular option, so I figured I was on to something. The other one that caught my eye was the Hammock Bliss Sky Bed. The pad pocket made sense to me, and I figured it would marry well with my ground set up- a Big Agnes bag and insulated air core pad. I've since read that pads are *not* comfortable in a hammock. Is this a ymmv situation, or are hammocks pretty universally more comfortable without a pad in them?

I was confused that the Sky Bed was touted as being the first with a truly asymmetrical design. I thought that's what the Hennessy was. But then I saw the thread on making a HH clone and it looked like it was rectangular with asymmetric tie-outs. Is that accurate? So it needs the tie-outs to benefit from its (pseudo?)- asymmetric design? The Sky Bed said it only needed two points of attachment, which could be beneficial since at this point I mostly family car camp.

Which then led me to wonder about the benefit of asymmetry at all, since I've seen people comment that it's just about the way you lay (lie?) and that a simple gathered end hammock is perfectly comfortable if you do it right.

I tend to be cold at night (although not the past few weeks- not sure what's up with this weather!). I am a big fan of wool, but I didn't see mention of it being used anywhere and I was wondering why.

I am a fairly accomplished seamstress (thread injector- cracked me up!). I love the idea of making my own gear for the potential cost savings, the pride, and the ability to customize. The problem I have is that I've never tried any, so I don't know what I'd like or want to change. I suppose I answered my own question there- I guess I need to start with a commercial set up and go from there... or make my own first and then go from there... arg... this is where I get stuck.

If you've stuck with me this far, thank you. I'm sure I'll have more questions in the near future.

~Jennifer
    First off, welcome to the world of hammocks!! You pose some interesting thoughts and all I can contribute is to get some material and go for it (your sewing ability will prove quite useful). I started out with a "store bought" hammock, a Wally-World tarp and ratchet straps and haven't looked back. Up to 5 hammocks now and realize what whoopie slings, a couple of toggles and tree straps means.

Get to a gathering in your area, you will walk away a pro!!

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip

Newbie stream-of-consciousness questions

---Look for my answers in the --- I am writing this on my phone And this is the best way I could keep my answers straight on my little screen. Sorry. ---

--First of all welcome to the forums. You will find that after a little while you will be able to understand a lot more of what goes on. It can be quite over whelming quickly if you were to try and take it all in at once. --

--The Hennessy is a great hammock for people just getting into hammock camping. It is an all in one system which helps to get an understanding of the little nuances that come with it. As for sleeping with the pads you will find a argument on both sides of the issue in using it in a hammock. Some people swear by them and others that would rather use a underquilt. With that said they can be used effectively in a hammock. Some people find that you will have to let a little air out of it first before it gets comfortable. --

---The secondary side tie outs for a HH are more for the bug net than any support. They help stretch out the net and allow more of a roomier feel to the hammock. ---

---This is correct. When people think about a hammock they think about lying in the same linear plain as the hammock strung between the trees. Lying this way is referred as a banana lay because you are in a U form. But if you shift your body about 10-15 degrees off of linear center then you are able to lay more flat in the hammock. ---

---Wool doesn't get mentioned here much for sleeping insulation unless it is clothing. It tends to be bulky and very heavy compared to down or other synthetics. It is very viable if you are always car camping but a lot of use here like backpacking and it is just not practical for that application. ---

---It is very easy to make your own hammock. If you can sew in a semi straight line and able to work with long pieces of fabric then you can make your own hammock. ---

---Lastly I would like to point you in the direction of Shug "Sean Emery" on YouTube. He has a video series that is designed for people just coming into hammock camping. They are very informative and highly entertaining. I hope I answered a couple of your questions. Feel free to ask more if needed.---
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    I initially got interested in the HH but as I widened my research on YouTube and these forums, I changed my mind about them. There are a lot of options out there but it's very difficult to tell which one you'll like without trying them. If you're in an area that has group hangs, you might want to see if anyone will let you try some of these options. Ask them what they like and don't like about them and why they bought it. That will probably give you some pretty good ideas about how to sew one up for yourself too. There are plans all over the place for DIY hammocks including some of the hammock sellers.

You will learn a lot from watching this series for newbies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0
    as well as some of Shug's other reviews.

HTH
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    There is a group hang at Boggs Mountain Demonstration State Forest in October. There will be plenty of hammock nuts there ready to talk your ear off and probably delighted to have you try their stuff out. I'll be delighted, anyway.
    ah, here's the link https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=73507
    If that does not work, cruise on over to the trip planning/West forum and dig around.
    -Liz -

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incu/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    add me to the list of people who initially though HH was the be-all/end-all of hammocks. however, i found a used warbonnet traveler and was totally happy with the purchase. nothing against HH, but i definitely appreciate the cottage manufacturers more.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    First, make a hammock. I'd suggest using a tablecloth or a piece of 1.9 oz ripstop that's 10 feet long or so. Hem a channel in each end (3 or 4 rows of stitching), put a strong line through it and tie it between two trees. You'll quickly answer a lot of your questions about asym sleeping positions. This can be quick and dirty (don't bother to hem the sides), but don't skimp on safety and be nice to the trees.

Like you, I'm a cold sleeper. I sympathize. Experiment with your Big Agnes pad, first on top of the hammock, then maybe sew a second layer on the bottom (just sew along the sides) to make a pocket. Try different inflation levels.

Then go to that October hang and say hi to E.A.Y. Try other hammocks, especially ones fitted with underquilts. Take your ground-sleeping gear with you as a back-up. Nobody will sneer at you if you use it.

Images
    First, welcome to the madness. It's a tremendous amount of information for a firsty and I too felt I was drinking from the fire hose. Point is, it gets easier really fast if your diligent.

As you'll see from my sidebar, I'm a HH guy. I took about 4 months researching almost everyday before I went with my first set up. I'm an old guy so if it feels good, I stick with it. Hence, why I still have my HH. I just recently sewed my own DIY hammock. I love it too and used some of the aspects that I love about my HH in the design. Point is, if you can get to a group hang if possible soon and see a lot of options in action and try them out. You'll get a benefit I didn't have (but no regrets on the HH) and be able to make a much more highly informed decision before diving in the deep end. That being said, a DIY hammock would cost you as little a $50 in materials to make a very basic set up with woopies (mine actually cost a little less). You may try it and love it or try it an hate it but for the cost of a dinner with the wife you'll be certain one way or the other.

Lastly, as you have already probably discovered, there are no limits on questions in this forum and you'll get prompt and friendly service all along the way.

Have fun on the journey.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I took a look at Shug's videos, as a couple of you suggested. He's hilarious... and informative.

I also took the suggestion to just go get some fabric and try. Unfortunately, my local Walmart only had 48" wide "material of unknown origin" (which looked like ripstop, but with smaller than usual squares). The lady working the cutting counter was obviously not a sewer. Her comment was, "It's almost 60 inches." Um, no it's not. Anyhow, I left it, and as I was leaving the parking lot realized I should have gotten it to make hammocks for my kids (who are already asking for their own), stuff sacks, snake skins, etc, etc. So I need to go back.

Liz, thanks for pointing me to the CA hang this fall. The three hour drive is possible, but the three month wait is torture!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast