Tarp
    Speer Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF, KAQ 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Ohio>Shawnee State Forest>July 2013

Background
    Shawnee State Forest is situated in the rolling hills of Southern Ohio along the Ohio River. The forest surrounds a state park, with boating, fishing, camping and picnic areas. The backpack trail makes a roughly 40-mile loop, bisected by State Route 125. A day hike trail cuts the larger loop into northern and southern loops, providing more options. The larger loop includes 7 camp sites spaced roughly 5 miles apart.

Friday, July 5
    I got up early and made the roughly 2-hr drive from Columbus to West Portsmouth. I hit the trail around 8:30 AM. I had heard of a number of "improvements" that had been made to the trail, so I was hopeful that it would be more hiker friendly. Well, you can hope in one hand and....whatever.

The improvements consist largely of bulldozer track that has made for a wider trail in many areas. It also reroutes the trail around a 2009 forest fire burn area. It appeared to me that the trail had also been rerouted in other sections as well, making trail maps and mileage estimates inaccurate. The improvements do not include switchbacks or less steep grades on ascents or descents. I have a newfound respect for the bulldozer. I had no idea they could operate on such steep grades.

Around 10AM, the first downpour hit. Creeks started to swell and the trail started to get sloppy. I made it to Camp 7 hoping to refill my water. Camp 7 is about .3 miles off trail and a relatively mild descent. There is a creepy outhouse even further off trail. Water well is supposed to be still further off trail, but I never did find it. I opted to fill from the creek running along the side trail.

I quickly set up my tarp took a 30-minute break to rest my feet & eat a snack. I pushed on toward Camp 6, a horrible slog through pouring rain with hour long ascents, short ridge walks and then steep, hour long descents. My pace was slowed considerably by

I arrived at Camp 6 around 3 PM. Camp 6 is actually very pretty. Even with the raging creek and some of the heaviest rain of the day, Camp 6 had a certain serenity. I probably should have called it a day and stayed here for the night.

Instead, I pushed on to Camp 5, which is allegedly a 3-mile hike. However, this is where IMO the trail deviates greatly from the map. Around 6 PM, the rain subsided. After an ascent that produced a number of expletives, the trail meets a service road and follows a ridge to Camp 5, where I arrived around 7:30PM.

I ate my dinner, drank water and searched without success for a hammock friendly spot to set up camp for the night in the designated camping zone. With bone-weary body and rolling thunder above, I made the executive decision to set up tarp & hammock across the narrow side trail to Camp 5.

I changed into dry clothes and completed a quick foot treatment. I slept very well in my hammock. I only woke up a few times, and then only long enough to notice that it was still raining.

Saturday, July 6
    I woke up Saturday morning in a mist cloud. I enjoyed my first cup of coffee before even getting out of the hammock- one of life's true joys. The rain was holding off (for now) and after sleep, coffee and breakfast, my spirit was renewed. I packed up and hit the trail around 7:30 AM.

The hike between Camp 5 and Camp 4 includes a couple of valley/hollow walks that would be quite pleasant if they were not completely saturated with water. A short but heavy bout of rain accompanied this stretch for good measure. Camp 4 is nothing really special, but I did stop here for another cup of coffee, Clif bar and water refill.

The push from Camp 4 to Camp 3 is more of the same- up a hill, down a hill. A portion of this stretch (as well as others) is shared with a bridle trail. I found that the sections that coincide with bridle trails were easier.

At Camp 3, I was faced with choices: a) push on the extra 5.5 miles to Camp 2; b) call it a day, set up camp and take the 5.3 mile day hike trail in the morning; or c) take the day hike trail today and head home. I decided to eat some lunch before coming to a decision.

As I was finishing lunch, the sky opened up again. I'd been wet for the better part of 2 days and 25 miles. I decided I had enough and took the day hike trail toward the trailhead. I arrived at my car around 4:30 PM. I removed 9 ticks from my legs (I was wearing long pants), cleaned my pruney feet and changed clothes.

Summation
    This trail just isn't fun.

There are plenty of enjoyable hikes in southern Ohio. This isn't one of them. This is a strenuous hike, without the payoff of a nice view at the end of a climb. Even under perfect weather conditions, this trail wouldn't be fun. With work & family, I only get out into the woods 3-5 times a year. I won't be spending more time at Shawnee.

Gear MVP
    This was my first "gram weenie" hike. My total pack weight for the planned 3-day hike was 19 lbs, 2 oz. On my way out of the house Friday morning, I grabbed a Rothco military surplus poncho (10 oz.). The poncho is big enough & loose enough to fit over my pack. I even used it as a blanket at night (no sleeping bag on this trip). Without the poncho, I'm not sure I could have retained my sanity.
    "He that lives upon hope will die fasting."

- Benjamin Franklin

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Lobby View Post
    Summation
    This trail just isn't fun.

There are plenty of enjoyable hikes in southern Ohio. This isn't one of them. This is a strenuous hike, without the payoff of a nice view at the end of a climb. Even under perfect weather conditions, this trail wouldn't be fun. With work & family, I only get out into the woods 3-5 times a year. I won't be spending more time at Shawnee.
    Couldn't agree more.

I wouldn't mind the strenuous hiking if there was some kind of payoff - vista, waterfall, lake, river, etc. etc. At Shawnee, there isn't anything like that though. Just tough hiking.

I did a similar portion of the trail a few years back. It was the first and last time I'll go to Shawnee.

Glad you made the best of it though.

Thanks for the descriptive write up.

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    I have the same feelings for Zaleski, at least the south loop. I don't under stand the lack of switch backs and no ridge paths in Ohio it is just a series of PUDs. While I still go out I understand why I can't get my friends to follow.

I think the "no switchbacks" thing is entirely an Eastern US malady.
    There've been switchbacks aplenty on every hiking/camping trip Out West that I've ever taken.

Thanks for this report - I'm in Central Kentucky (but a NKY native) and I've actually been thinking about a trip to Shawnee in the near future. Now I think I'll skip it.

• + New Posts