Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Same here, although I don't feel my 165# demands the use of anything heavier than what currently supports me. 11' is nice and if a 10 will do, then my fad becomes one comfortable loaner, for a friend and possible convert. I have had no problem finding trees to hang from dragging the extra 1' of Sil around. Same with the Toxaway. Heck of a tarp.

We pack according to our fears. I am not afraid of being comfortable.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Knotty DIY, WBRR
    Tarp
    OES, camo Tadpole
    Insulation
    Burrow, Leighlo 66
    Suspension
    Whoopies, webbing
    Sorry but there really isn't a rule of thumb for length, or width. Too many variables. Ask 100 hangers and get 150 answers. Like shoes or clothing, what fits one may not fit another. If you have the chance to try different hammocks do so. Can also make your own DIY hammocks in various sizes by making an 11ft and gathering it in at different lengths to see what works for you . I'm 5'10 " and currently in an 11ft DIY and WBRR. Have fun and happy hanging.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I recall it being said that the Blackbird was a fad. Realistically, its "features" are only minor differences, but obviously those differences are significant to many, and have been for a while and continue to be. I think we can rule out by this point that the BB is a fad.

Therein lies my comparison... the BB is a 10' hammock and if you've done any reading at all here on HF, you know there's plenty of people who love the BB. Obviously, 10' works darn well. That said, the 11' hammock, with really a minor difference in lay, has begun to catch on with many (including myself), and enough so that Brandon also produced an 11' version of the BB, the XLC. Only time will tell if the longer version becomes more popular, thus sort of validating the longer hammock myth.

I can't speak to what sort of research has gone into determining optimal length - which would obviously be determined with "average" user height, which may or may not have been less than 6' - but anecdotal evidence suggests 11' is, at the very least, not just a fad.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    I would not be surprised to see that 11' hammocks are around for a long time. Like queen and king size beds in motels, and preferred by single travelers, too, who anticipate occupying them by themselves.

So, the 11' hammock is not a fad in the sense of being short-lived.

No, the WBBB was never a fad. It is one of the few engineered and tailored -- not just sewn -- hammocks.

I am sure it easier to be comfortable in a larger hammock. Just as it is harder to be comfortable in an adequately long single bed, what with smaller margin for drift to the less-comfortable edge after you've placed yourself in the center. Or, just as someone without angling skills is likely to lose a fish caught on higher breaking-strength line.

Hammocks have gotten bigger, the way most every model of passenger car and truck gets bigger with successive years.

After hundreds of nights outdoors between trees, and often enough between different pairs, shorter hammocks are easier to find a pair of trees for.

Per mantra, though, HYOH; which is easier than finding a thread here on the rediscovery by an experienced camper of GREATER comfort in a short hammock, much to his surprise. Besides, there's room for growth with a bigger hammock, and more here are likely growing larger than smaller.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 07-11-2013 at 18:09.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Its a good point that it is slightly more difficult to find good tree spacing for the 11' hammocks (and 12' ridgeline tarps), which can be a not so minor difference, depending on where you "want" to hang. I don't ever have a problem finding a place to hang, just that sometimes its not exactly where I would like for it to be when a shorter hammock setup might've fit.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm 6'1.5" and I like the 10 footers over the 11 footers mostly because all my gear is made for a 10 foot hammock. If your starting from scratch that fine but if you already have a tarp and under quilt make sure they will work with an 11 foot hammock

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Made a 126" x 66" hammock recently and I have laid in it a few times and its pretty big. Swear I can hear an echo in it. I am 6'1" and there is more than enough room in it for me. Ill admit I like it alot more than my HH Explorer Deluxe which is 108" x 56" but I think that is because of the increased width rather than length. I made a 115" x 66" hammock week or two ago and even it had more room than I needed. I think because of the extra width, I dont need as much length. Although I noticed calf ridge for this first time few weeks ago when I tried to lay too far diagonally. The second I rotated back alittle it disappeared. Also tweaking the ridgeline alittle eliminated the calf ridge. I think that if I keep the width 65"+ that the 10' hammocks are perfect for my height with a ridgeline sitting at 78%. Its really hard for me to say what is better because it isn't all about length. There is more variables at play here. Length, width, RL%, type of fabric. I mean Hennessy rates their 108" x 56" hammock for people as tall as 7'.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    WB Cinch buckles
    Images
    XTrekker, precisely for the reasons below (HH length). I'm doing my research for a new Hammock (and Dream hammocks is a vendor I'm evaluating). I sleep very well in my current HH Expedition hammock but I feel I'm almost too big for it (6'0", 200 pounds). I've seen so many posts about people saying 11 foot is the way to go and I'm wondering is that really necessary. Especially considering that a 10 foot from Dream hammock or Warbonnet is already 20 inches inches longer than my HH.

Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    Made a 126" x 66" hammock recently and I have laid in it a few times and its pretty big. Swear I can hear an echo in it. I am 6'1" and there is more than enough room in it for me. Ill admit I like it alot more than my HH Explorer Deluxe which is 108" x 56" but I think that is because of the increased width rather than length. I made a 115" x 66" hammock week or two ago and even it had more room than I needed. I think because of the extra width, I dont need as much length. Although I noticed calf ridge for this first time few weeks ago when I tried to lay too far diagonally. The second I rotated back alittle it disappeared. Also tweaking the ridgeline alittle eliminated the calf ridge. I think that if I keep the width 65"+ that the 10' hammocks are perfect for my height with a ridgeline sitting at 78%. Its really hard for me to say what is better because it isn't all about length. There is more variables at play here. Length, width, RL%, type of fabric. I mean Hennessy rates their 108" x 56" hammock for people as tall as 7'.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    I'm 5'7" & 265lbs and I much prefer the 10ft length and a slightly firmer hammock body so that I don't sink down into the hammock so far. Otherwise, I can't reach the ridgeline, zippers, or over the sides of the hammock very well.
    Last edited by PapaSmurf; 07-17-2013 at 07:22.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images

Re: 10 ft vs 11 ft hammock

Quote Originally Posted by dchrismer View Post
    XTrekker, precisely for the reasons below (HH length). I'm doing my research for a new Hammock (and Dream hammocks is a vendor I'm evaluating). I sleep very well in my current HH Expedition hammock but I feel I'm almost too big for it (6'0", 200 pounds). I've seen so many posts about people saying 11 foot is the way to go and I'm wondering is that really necessary. Especially considering that a 10 foot from Dream hammock or Warbonnet is already 20 inches inches longer than my HH.
    me personally I would go with the 10 foot hammock or somewhere in between as long as the hammock width is more than 62 inches. I personally think that the Hennessy Hammock expedition is way too small for you. I hear dream hammock makes some really nice hammocks so you should do pretty well with one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    I'm 5'7" & 265lbs and I much prefer the 10ft length and a slightly firmer hammock body so that I don't sink down into the hammock so far. Otherwise, I can reach the ridgeline, zippers, or over the sides of the hammock very well.
    totally agree with you on the firmer hammock body. it adds a little bit of weight but it reduces some of the squeeze and I feel that it gives a flatter lay as well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast