Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Good beginners hammock?

I have been backpacking for several years and have recently decided to give hammocking a try. I am located in NH (just moved from VT) so all/most of my hiking will be in NH, VT, and Maine.

I am looking at the HH Expedition asym for my first hammock. Is this a good choice for my first hammock? Also, is it worth getting the hex rain fly for additional coverage (The Hennessy silnylon fly 144" x 132"). I am new to this whole hammock thing, so any information would be appreciated.

oh yah, and I'm a little guy (5'8 140lbs)

Thanks for any input,
    Jason
    Last edited by jr05; 03-21-2007 at 15:12. Reason: updated rain fly question

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    With your size and weight I would suggest picking up a Ultralight Backpacker model if you are going with a Hennessy. I'm 5'10"and 160 lbs and it fits me great.

There are many tarp choices you could go with. Check out some of the posts in the tarps forum. The McCat seems to be one of the more popular tarps.

Your cheapest route would be to make your own hammock and tarp. Check out the homemade gear section of Jeff's site to get some ideas.

and welcome to the forum.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jr05 View Post
    I have been backpacking for several years and have recently decided to give hammocking a try. I am located in NH (just moved from VT) so all/most of my hiking will be in NH, VT, and Maine.

I am looking at the HH Expedition asym for my first hammock. Is this a good choice for my first hammock? Also, is it worth getting the rectangular rain fly for additional coverage (would be aboue $39 to get both the original and the rectangular tarps). I am new to this whole hammock thing, so any information would be appreciated.

oh yah, and I'm a little guy (5'8 140lbs)

Thanks for any input,
    Jason

I've got a Hennessy Expedition that I've never used. Only tested it out in my house to stretch it out some. I've also got 2 Hennessys that I use. I am going to put it on e-bay for around $100 including shipping. Will throw in snakeskins for free. Let me know if your interested. Here's a tarp that is fairly popular around here. I have the 9X9 version. Also known as the 'Neo" tarp.
    Little heavier than most tarps, but nice coverage and price.

www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=97247
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

after the advice and researching a little more, I think I can afford the extra for the Ultralight Backpacker model.

I have been researching and am thinking about getting the Ultralight Backpacker hammock with a Maccat delux silnylon tarp.

We get a lot of rain in NE so I think the larger tarp is going to be the way to go. How does this updated setup sound?

-Jason

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jr05 View Post
    after the advice and researching a little more, I think I can afford the extra for the Ultralight Backpacker model.

I have been researching and am thinking about getting the Ultralight Backpacker hammock with a Maccat delux silnylon tarp.

We get a lot of rain in NE so I think the larger tarp is going to be the way to go. How does this updated setup sound?

-Jason
    Sounds like a great set-up to me. You cant go wrong there. Man I recently heard about the suicide of Brad Delp of the group Boston in your neck of the woods. That guy had some pipes.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Sounds like a great set-up to me. You cant go wrong there. Man I recently heard about the suicide of Brad Delp of the group Boston in your neck of the woods. That guy had some pipes.
    Yah, that is crazy, he was a great artist. He lived in Atkinson, NH which is about 10 minutes from where I live. It was quite big news when everybody found out he was dead

Just Jeff,
    I am assuming you are Just Jeff from the Just Jeff Hammock website. Let me first say; amazing job on the website! I have been researching hammock camping and your website has been incredibly helpful. As for the hammock setup, if you say it will be alright, I will go with it (and the other people agreeing helps too ).

Thanks for the quick replies everybody, now that I have the base system picked out, i'm off to research exactly what I need to stay warm.

-Jason

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Backpacker with MacCat Deluxe is a pretty popular combo. Be sure you understand how to stay warm underneath before you hit the field.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Hennessy currently has some clearance model on sale. If you are looking at the ULB check this out:

If you have any questions or would
    like to order something listed below, please let me know by email or by
    phone (1-888-539-2930 Mon-Fri 9am-4pm PST). To order, phone, email or fax
    (1-250-539-5390). We need your name, phone number, shipping address and a Visa or Mastercard number and expiration date. If you give us an email
    address, we will email your receipt and tracking info.

Ultralight Backpacker A-sym
    Lighter weight version of the Expedition Asym.
    [$119] Several new Ultralight Backpackers slight with mesh discoloration
    [$119] Several purple hammocks with blue rainflies, both with yellow trim
    [$119] Several purple hammocks with yellow trim, blue flies with black
    [$119] 320 regular stock demo
    [$129] D20 has fabric flaw

[email protected]
    www.hennessyhammock.com
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    I've got the Expedition ASYM and the sil hex but I'm on a bicycle so the extra weight doesn't bother me much. But if I was humping this stuff on my back I'd go ahead and save up a little more coin and go for the ULTRALITE BACKPACKER A-SYM. Which will be next on my list of stuff to get right after I get a backpack, boots & trekking poles.
    If you must choose between two evils, opt for the one you've never tried before

Images
    You could always get the $20 Traveler's Hammock to be sure that you like hammocking. It has no rain fly though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast