Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by act View Post
    I am a kayaker who has discovered hammocks. This trip sounds to good to pass up. Regarding the gear discussion, I looked up the average water temperature for late Nov-Dec at Kentucky lake and it is 50-55 degrees. This will probably be wet suit or maybe even dry suit conditions depending on the air temps. It should be a good opportunity to test out cool weather hammocking gear. Only 65 days until launch!
    Welcome aboard act! I agree, When paddling you measure what you wear by the water temps not just the air temps. 50 degree water is cold then compare it with wind or simply cold air, it makes it even colder with more chance for Hypothermia. I wouldn't skimp on cold water gear on this one.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Dangerbird 68" Dig. Camo.
    Suspension
    Whoopies

LBL Closed!

Hello everyone, I just found this thread last night and am very excited about this trip. I was on the LBL site today though and saw the following:

Due to the lapse in federal government funding, the USDA Forest Service Land Between The Lakes National Recreation Area, as with other federal agencies, is closed with the exception of certain essential services. However, we will attempt to make timely updates about public health and safety on this website as appropriate. We sincerely regret this inconvenience. For general information on Forest Service shutdown procedures, please visit the USDA’s website, www.usda.gov.

Roger

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ralexander9646 View Post
    Hello everyone, I just found this thread last night and am very excited about this trip. I was on the LBL site today though and saw the following:

Due to the lapse in federal government funding, the USDA Forest Service Land Between The Lakes National Recreation Area, as with other federal agencies, is closed with the exception of certain essential services. However, we will attempt to make timely updates about public health and safety on this website as appropriate. We sincerely regret this inconvenience. For general information on Forest Service shutdown procedures, please visit the USDA’s website, www.usda.gov.

Roger
    Yeah, It says the same thing on all National Parks until the gov starts back up. This is not the time to get any info.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Breyman scout 1.9 DL, WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 144 x 120 1.1
    Insulation
    PLUQ & Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I still don't understand how they can stop us from driving, walking, boating, or whatever in OUR parks. Besides if they are not working, who is going to stop us? If I wanted to use any park I would simply use it.
    "As part of your equipment have something to dig with, and when you relieve yourself, dig a hole and cover up your excrement. For the Lord your God moves about in your camp..." Deuteronomy 23: 13,14

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Firetruck View Post
    I still don't understand how they can stop us from driving, walking, boating, or whatever in OUR parks. Besides if they are not working, who is going to stop us? If I wanted to use any park I would simply use it.
    A good chunk of it was already closed before the shutdown.

Hammock
    Dutch Halfwit
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    During the 1996 government shutdown I did a backpacking trip in the Mamouth cave woods. No problem and we were not the only ones in the woods.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    I was thinking t-shirt and cotton shorts but tall mud boots to keep my feet dry when I get out of the kayak.
    Anyway back from a long trip and trying to catch up. Heard about the gov while I was gone but where I was the Nat. Park units didn't have visitors centers, gaits, trails for that matter, and I'd guess one ranger for every 5000 square miles. Those parks seemed to work quite well without the gov's glaring presence.....but I forget this forum will clamped me if I do a gov. rant!
    So my sights are now turned to LBL (or is Big South Fork next ??), still confused from the red eye flight.
    I think like most backpacking trips I'll do a 5 day forecast a day or two before we leave and pack insulation accordingly + a bit for insurance.
    I think for me a paddling suit will be packed regardless--can determine how warm it is by what I'm wearing under it.
    I lived for 5 days in a dry-suit at paddle camping in Voyageurs Nat.Park and really dont enjoy the latex neck gasket for long long paddling days. The paddling suit has a neoprene neck gasket which is more comfortable.
    But hey, remember the old pics of the early AT thru-hikers; they did wear cotton t-shirts and blue jeans, and lived to tell the tale.
    Greenland paddle already set aside.
    3 Batchstovez Caldera Cone set ups too; hoping to share a muffin or two.
    Speaking of food I wonder how many of us there will be? How many are committed?
    Time for a roll call of participants (or has that already been done in my absence, I just went to the end of this thread).

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Copy and past if you plan on attending the LBL Bridge-to-Bridge paddle hang:

MedicineMan

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Copy and past if you plan on attending the LBL Bridge-to-Bridge paddle hang

MedicineMan
    Hangnout

Hammock