Warbonnet Traveler XL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle

Red River Gorge Hang November 1-3

I'm beginning to put the details together on organizing a trip for Hammockforums that I've led a few times with Meetup.com. I've led multiple trips for the Cincinnati and Louisville Meetup Groups. On this trip you will have the opportunity to see some of the very best that the Red River Gorge has to offer. If you like a variety of geological features such as arches, rock shelters, cliff lines, rock formations and beautiful views, this trip is for you. I've hiked in the Great Smoky Mountains and I've watched a ton of Shug's hiking videos but there isn't anything I've seen on the East Coast that matches the neat things you can experience in the Red River Gorge. I will warn you that if you decide to go on these hikes, you will be scrambling up rock faces and getting close to cliff lines with drops of over 60 feet. There will be ways to opt out of these.

PLAN NUMBER ONE would be to meet on Friday, November 1st at a camping spot near the road that I've stayed at multiple times. There are a few camping spots with fire rings at this area that vary from 100-300 yards from the parking lot. It's a easy flat hike into these spots. It's a nicely wooded area on top of the ridge but there isn't much to see there. There is a stall toilet at the parking lot.

The next day we would pack up camp and drive about 7-8 miles where we would leave half of the vehicles. We'd then pile into the other vehicles and hopefully get to the trailhead by 10-11 am. The first day of the route is about 9-10 miles of backpacking and includes a few elevation changes of about 400 feet. There will breaks along the way and a long (30-45 minute) lunch. We should get into camp by about 6pm to setup camp and then head out to an awesome cliffline point to look out over the gorge while we eat supper and watch the stars come out. Everyone would bring their own meals and there is no water at the campsite. Day 2 would be a 3-4 mile hike out to the dropped off vehicles.

Here's a link
    to one of my trips that I led with the Cincinnati Backpacking Meetup group.

PLAN NUMBER TWO would be to meet on Friday and setup a base camp at the site that I described in PlAN NUMBER ONE for the weekend. For those who might want to stay a day longer I could take off work and meet on Thursday. We can decide on what kind of food to fix and share.

On Saturday we would then go out for day hiking where I would take us to the best spots in the gorge for about 4-5 hours. If you don't want to join me you can stay at camp or do some day hiking on your own (there are multiple very nice day hikes that will be close to the base camp).

For the backpacking trip, I will limit it to 20 people.

For the base camp trip, I will limit it to 30 people.

If you are interested please sign up here and let me know what kind of trip you'd rather go on. I'll make my decision within a couple of weeks.

I'll update this post with who is going and we'll figure out what food everyone will bring to share.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Chris

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Re: Red River Gorge Hang November 1-3

I'll keep my eye on this one. Where are you planning to hike?
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler XL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Indian Staircase area including the giant rock house and Indian Arch, Cloudsplitter, and Hanson's Point if we go the backpacking route.
    Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday...there is no someday.

Red River Gorge Hang November 1-3

I will watch this also. Been to RRG a few times and found it to be just beautiful. Will know if I can make it as the time grows nearer.

Some of my photos of the area. http://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A7GhtLJ3JlbMd5
    Last edited by robblandon; 09-04-2013 at 06:59.

Hammock
    HH for now
    Tarp
    sgg 12x12 soon
    Insulation
    still looking
    Suspension
    JRB complete
    Not gonna commit just yet but my interest is peaked.!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler XL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    I've decided to commit to doing this as a backpacking trip. However, I'm surprised by the lack of interest in this trip. I think I'm going to go ahead and post this as a Meetup trip with the Cincinnati group.

If anyone is interested in going from here, I'll take a few as my guests or you can sign up for the trip there. Typically my trips fill within a few days or less.
    Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday...there is no someday.

Quote Originally Posted by ky chris View Post

If anyone is interested in going from here, I'll take a few as my guests or you can sign up for the trip there. Typically my trips fill within a few days or less.
    Let me know how to join the meetup group so I may sign up.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler XL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Here's how to join meetup.

Go to meetup.com and sign up, it's free. Find the Cincinnati Backpackers group by searching for "cincinnati backpackers". It defaults to a 25 mile radius, so it won't come up if you're outside that circle unless you change the mileage. Just click on the "25" and select "any distance" and it should find the group. After clicking through, just hit "join us" on the upper right of the page.

I'll wait until Sunday evening to post it. I'll post it here just before I post it there.

If you like hiking and backpacking you can also join the Louisville group. I've had a great time leading and joining trips with both Meetup groups.

Hammock
    Wbrr
    Tarp
    Noahs 12
    Insulation
    New river uq
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    What town is this closest to?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler XL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    It is about 50 minutes East of Lexington. The closest city on the way is Stanton.

The exit is the "Slade" exit.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast