Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicPaddler View Post
    Zooshooter
    At the spot where the first couple of people flipped I was playing with the current while they were getting ready to go on and I flipped. First time in years. I lost my billfold out of my pocket. My camera was in a nylon dry bag in my shirt pocket and it was dry. I think 2 people lost cell phones on that trip.
    Any one reading this must think we are taking on some fast water. There was not anything I would call white water on this trip. I went over because I did something dumb.
    Good to hear from you.
    I haven't managed to tip my kayak yet, knock on wood, and I took it out on the Platte earlier this summer when we had all that flooding. Started in Naperville and paddled (got hauled by the current mostly) down to the Plainfield area. There were a couple bridges that were low, one I had to lay down in the kayak to get under, one we couldn't get under at all because the water was only about 6 inches from the bottom of the bridge and moving FAST. I stayed dry that time, but my uncle tipped out under a bridge on his kayak.

For as shallow as most of that river seemed to be in Rockford, I was surprised to see how deep it got in those pockets where people tipped. Definitely a learning experience.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge
    "rookiehangar" is the guy to contact for a Rockford area gathering. He sponsored one this year in Jan.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ithuanian+park

Here are some photos of a canoe camp out he sponsored this spring on the Kishwaukee River: http://www.bwca.com/index.cfm?fuseac...ID=12&confID=1

North of Rockford is the Sugar River forest Preserve that has nice big pine trees close together for a nice hang situation. They allow all kinds of stuff to be hung from trees even hammocks.
    Fancee Feest = preferred alcohol stove of "informed backpackers"

Hammock
    hennessy expedition
    Tarp
    hammock gear c.f.
    Insulation
    hammock gear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    i just did a solo hang along the I&M canal, there is a campsite that is like 3-4 miles west of chanahon, and about 10 miles or so east of morris near the nuke plant, it is an out of the way campsite hardly used. i biked there and set up camp, one draw back is no water, im planning on going back there in the next few weeks, maybe fora whole weekend. no water but brand spanking new pit toilets lol.

Hammock
    hennessy expedition
    Tarp
    hammock gear c.f.
    Insulation
    hammock gear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    its right on the illinois river, so there is canoe or kayak access to the area, fishing well kept nice place.
    Last edited by markglist; 10-02-2013 at 16:53.

Hammock
    WBBB/DH sparrow
    Tarp
    Superfly/UGQ WB 11
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    elephant trunks
    what weekend might be interested

Hammock
    eno DN
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20° Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'd be all over a northern IL hang. I've been planning on a visit to the Sand Ridge back country sites sometime this Fall. No idea when yet.

Hammock
    Darien ul
    Tarp
    HG winter palace
    Insulation
    Sniv/HG incubato 0
    Suspension
    dutch woopie hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJake View Post
    I'd be all over a northern IL hang. I've been planning on a visit to the Sand Ridge back country sites sometime this Fall. No idea when yet.
    I've been to sandridge state forest several times lots of trails, lots of sand to makes trail tuff walking . Also the big problem is there is no water so you have to carry all the water you would need.

Hammock
    hennessy expedition
    Tarp
    hammock gear c.f.
    Insulation
    hammock gear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    not this weekend, maybe next, see how the weather and work go

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 11"
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by markglist View Post
    not this weekend, maybe next, see how the weather and work go
    How big is the camp site/how many hammocks do you think would fit?

Hammock
    hennessy expedition
    Tarp
    hammock gear c.f.
    Insulation
    hammock gear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    theres prolly room for at least 5-6 hammocks, maybe more. Its part of the I&M canal trail run by the state of illinois, its like a 3-5 mile hike in from chanahon, 10 mile hike in from morris. its a tree lined clearing. its right next to the ilinois river. I loaded up my bike and rode in. its a crushed limestone path no motorized vehicles allowed. Near Mc Kinley woods but not part of them. Its hardly used because 1) its hard to get to 2) there are no trail maps or even trail markings that there is a camp site there. ya find it by looking for fire pit rings lol. Its on the river, has an old boat launch but next to it ya could prolly beach a canoe or kayaks . there is a boat marina right across the river from it. If ya pull up a trail map of the I&M trail from the D.N.R. look at the east map, find McKinley Woods and its right near there along the river. If i knew how to post pics on here id post 1 or 2 that i took whle there. Ya get a few day hikers hiking thru during the day, but when i camped there, there was only 3 backpackers that camped there too, and they were off in a part that i couldnt see. If anyone is interested Private message me a phone number and we can talk. Ya pay 6 bucks a night either at the chanahon state park or the state park in morris, you can leave vehicles at either state park over night and the lots are patroled by the cops.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast