Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images

Re-rigged the tarp. I don't like my continuous ridgeline. Need suggestions

Since I started hammocking, I have had my tarp strung with figure 9 Nite Ize. I really like the ease of use. Most importantly I like the reflective cords around the bottom of the tarp (how many times have you tripped over a line in the dark?!), as I camp with a group.

However, I decided I wanted to go hardware-free and wanted something less bulky and a little less reflective for the upper half of the tarp. Nothing like someone looking into your camp at night with a headlamp and lighting up the tarp like a Christmas Tree.

My solution for the corner tie-outs is 1.75 zing it attached to a one foot length of nite ize line with prusik knots. My first field test is this weekend.

I used 30' of 1.75 Lash-it for the tarp ridgeline because I like the idea of the adjustability. I keep my tarp in Mountain Goat skins. I have a micro biner tied at one end of the ridgeline, and a figure 9 at the other

What I can't stand is:

1.) How much extra cord there is and how it gets all tangled no matter how neatly I try to wrap it

2.) When I lay my tarp over the ridgeline and then pull my corners tight, it gets all off-kilter.

Suggestions appreciated! Also, can I get a prusik type adjustments at the ends without a CRL?
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Yes you can use prussiks without a CRL. Just attach the prussiks to the tarp tie out. That's how my winter tarp is set up. My hex tarp uses micro linelocs instead of the prussiks, just like I use for my guylines. My asym tarp I'm using a munter hitch, which only works if you have d-rings or add biners.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ
    have you thought about dutch stingerz's instead of all that line. tie cord onto tarp go around the tree loop it around styngerz that's also snapped onto same ring as cord is stand back eye ball re-adjust if necessary and done with half the cord that your using for ridgeline.takes about 1min if that to do it all

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Sure. I'd do it the same way you make an adjustable tie out. Larkshead the loop of the prussic into the grommet or ring of the tarp ridge line on each end.

Probably have to throw in a couple additional wraps of the prussic to insure good hold.

Pretty much san's hardware.

I use a CRL with a set of four prussics. The inside two are used to attach and center the tarp. The outside pair slide along the line to where I can hook plastic hooks, repurposed from an old tent fly, attached to each end, back into the CRL. It allows me to tighten the tarp from either end.

Very cheap and so far working well.
    Signature suspended

Images
    It's a really personal thing...I like my CRL over my tarp, keeps the shape tight and stops random drips from coming under. I use dutchware on one and simple knot bone and fig 9 on the other, I still have not determined which I like better.

I do know this...I saw a post by dejoha showing a CRL with a dutch hook and tarpflyz, super dooper adjustable and I switched both tarps over to it. It is a dream to set up, but my tarps always ended up on the ground during breakdown. This was fine unless there was mud, rain or heavy moisture on the ground. I switched back about a month ago to current setup and skins/sleeves.

Good Luck.

Hammock
    Simply Light Design
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    LeighLo Down UQ
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies!
    I use two separate lines. There is a loop in one end so I just reach around the tree and pull the "tag" end thru the loop, now its snug on the tree. On the line is an open prusik that I then tie to the tarp using a simple bow knot like you use when tying your shoes. Tarp adjustments are made via the prusik knots and when its time to pack up just untie the bow not to release the tarp and remove the line from the trees. In the winter I use a closed prusik and a small carabineer to secure the tarp as tying knots in the cold can be an issue.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Thank you for all the fine suggestions, I can see I am going to need to play with it a little. Although I love Dutchware, and let him and Keith trick out my BMBH at Trail Days, I was trying to go sans hardware for the tarp, but see I have to do something for the RL.

I have heard 30' for a CRL. Does anyone go shorter?

For those that use a line at each end, how long? I have a 12' tarp, so thinking 6 or 7 feet. would be ok?
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ
    yup 6 is plenty. and what I do just like my bb. double ended stuff sack. I pull 1 end all the thru clip the styngerz onto the stuff sack string leaving the clip on outside then cinch the end closed. Then I stuff tarp as I walk towards the other end of the tarp that's still connnected to tree. Again leaving styngerz on the outside. Then the next time i'm ready to hang tarp just do everything backwards and tarp will never hit the ground either way.
    To me it's just so simple and you can set tarp up quick if it's raining with little fuss to set-up
    Last edited by Cursnfurs; 07-11-2013 at 16:27. Reason: error

Hammock
    ROAMING GNOME!!!
    Tarp
    Big Daddy/Toxaway
    Insulation
    WL TQ/Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch/webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Demeter View Post
    Thank you for all the fine suggestions, I can see I am going to need to play with it a little. Although I love Dutchware, and let him and Keith trick out my BMBH at Trail Days, I was trying to go sans hardware for the tarp, but see I have to do something for the RL.

I have heard 30' for a CRL. Does anyone go shorter?

For those that use a line at each end, how long? I have a 12' tarp, so thinking 6 or 7 feet. would be ok?
    10 feet of line with tarp flyz on either end near the d ring. Super easy and the line stows in the skin pockets... Really easy to switch this out for a prussic instead off the tie out and a mini binder. Paul at AHE sells that setup (so you could see pics on his site) which is nice but I can get ab bit tighter pitch with the flyz and they stay on the lines. I use them instead of stingers in case I have some trees which are a hair to far apart or wide.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    If your tarp has d-rings on it try the munter hitch for an easy hardware free solution.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast