Tarp
    DIY Tyvek
    Insulation
    DIY Full UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles
    Images

A Troopful of Converts!

I'll start off by saying that I'm a Scoutmaster (Troop 205, Lexington, KY), and I went on a campout last weekend. As the boys were setting up their tents, I found a pair of trees and set up my hammock. As expected, it elicited quite a few comments.

I'm all for sharing my hammock, and letting others try out their...swinging legs?...but I'm a bit leery of letting a dozen or so Scouts climb (one at a time) into my bed (without me in it) before I even get a chance to sleep in it. Know what I mean?

As an aside, it was a relatively warm night--in the 50s--I don't have an underquilt, and didn't use a pad. I'll admit it: I had some chilly buns at about 3:30 in the morning. I had my z-rest pad within arm's reach but didn't use it. Not a mistake I care to repeat.

First thing I saw when I opened my eyes at 6:15 was the handle of the big dipper, and a satellite drifting lazily through the sky, sporadically visible through the tree branches above me. What a sight!

I suppose that's the long way around to the crux of the story: my Patrol leader said, "Man, I wish I had a hammock, cause I totally would have slept in one last night too!"

"Really?" I responded. "Would you like to make some in a Patrol meeting?"

"You can make them?"

Oh yeah. Convert for sure. I got the same kind of comments from other Scouts too.

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Welcome to the forums!

Excellent work - teach 'em young what's best and how to do it themselves.

Don't you hate it when you're not comfortable but not so uncomfortable to make it worthwhile to just get the pad (bag, quilt, etc.) and be comfy? You spend more effort and time awake thinking about it than if you just got the pad and went back to sleep!

Hammock
    2 Warbonnet BlackBird & Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SF+
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Welcome and Nice job!

I was in the BS and I would have loved to hammock back then.
    it would have beat the old Pup tent and sleeping bag on hard ground!

Hammock
    GT
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek
    Insulation
    DIY Full UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles
    Images
    I've read that an easy way to make hammocks is with a bedsheet. It'd certainly be easier for me as a leader to have each Scout bring a sheet (or raid the local thrift store for some) than to hunt for ripstop, especially since my local Wal-mart just closed their fabric department.

Agree or disagree?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & TriGlides
    Images
    I'm a Scout leader here in Nova Scotia and this past year our troop raised enough money to buy Hennessey Hammocks for all the guys. They had been giving us four leaders a hard time last year since we were swinging comfortably above the damp earth so we challenged them to raise the money.

We spent our first winter hang this past February in temps down to -22C. A bunch of the guys had cold feet but otherwise they all survived. They are looking forward to warmer hangs this spring. ;-)

I think the hammocks are a great thing for scouts. It expands your camping opportunities considerably and helps the scouts practice of Leave No Trace.

ENJOY!
    Todd K. Miller

Hammock
    Travel Hammock wtb BB
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12
    Im a scout leader here in Tampa, FL and there are 3 people that i know of in the troop that hang. 1 of which is a scout.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by digrat View Post
    I've read that an easy way to make hammocks is with a bedsheet. It'd certainly be easier for me as a leader to have each Scout bring a sheet (or raid the local thrift store for some) than to hunt for ripstop, especially since my local Wal-mart just closed their fabric department.

Agree or disagree?
    I would think you would need to make sure it was a synthetic sheet as cotton sheets might not do the trick. They would be somewhat short for adults as a twin sheet is only about 80" long. That might work for kids depending on their age and size. HH does have a scout package which he gives scouts a special deal but I don;'t know what it is offhand. It might be worth looking into.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    Nice! It cool to see yet another Kentucky hanger. Where were you guys camping at?
    Chris

Hammock
    HH Asym Expedition
    Tarp
    McCat Delux
    Insulation
    JRB Top and bottom
    Images
    I have a hiking partner who is in the scouts he was saying that they now have to sleep in pairs or buddy system. Maybe I was misunderstanding him I don't know. Is there a rule for that now? (I know alot has changed in Scouts since my time) If so how do hammocks fit?

Hammock
    Travel Hammock wtb BB
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12
    In my troop there is the Buddy System which means when walking and if you have to leave the general camp you must have someone with you. But when it comes to backpacking and sleeping most of us sleep in our own tent. Those younger scouts that do not have a tent might share a troop tent with another boy. (troop tent = 10pounds)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast