Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1oz Dual Layer
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Ohio > Mohican Memorial > this weekend (7/13-14)

I am heading out to Mohican this weekend. I'm thinking camp 5 or 6, I want a little longer hike.

Any other takers?

I know, short notice. I just thought about throwing it out to the group.
    Last edited by KC8QVO; 07-11-2013 at 19:11.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Just a thought - I was down at the Scioto river fishing today and it was really full/fast/muddy with all the rain we've had. How is Pine Run creek that runs through Mohican? I would imagine it is up a bit, but is it low enough to wade through?

Off topic - but is there any fish population in Pine Run?

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    I have found that most of the crossing are easier just up or down stream of wear the trail hits the creek. i.e. if you go in on the trailto the right at the bridal entrance the fist time you come to the river is fo go back about 50 to 100 feet you can go down tho the wash out area and cross on a rock bridge. Check out my crappy video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SuBowokbG4 or look up linkousja on youtub. This was after a large snow melt and rain last winter. the crossing at the trail was about waist deep but only ankle deep at where I crossed.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KC8QVO View Post
    Just a thought - I was down at the Scioto river fishing today and it was really full/fast/muddy with all the rain we've had. How is Pine Run creek that runs through Mohican? I would imagine it is up a bit, but is it low enough to wade through?

Off topic - but is there any fish population in Pine Run?
    During my last trip (going on) 4 weeks ago the creek was up quite a bit having had rain 3 of the 5 preceding days. Depth ranged from 8"-12" at the crossings but was easily managed.

As for fish, I've seen carp in the creek near to where it meets the river but none near the park & pack sites or the trail crossings. The river is probably your best bet for fishing.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    OK on the water levels. I fly fish in rivers up to my waist so I don't mind crossing too deep of water, maybe knee deep with a pack. Over that and it would be soaking my shorts - not necessarily a bad thing if its warm, I just don't want to have to dry out much Last time I was at Mohican was for one of the Ohio meets - somewhere around march or april I want to say, and the water was COLD. The water never got quite knee deep, but was over ankle deep. We crossed right around the trail crossing to camp 3 if my memory serves.

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    when are you looking at this weekend. I have Sunday Monday off but might be able to get up there late Saturday night. was looking at doing Burr oak but might fall through.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Wish I could be there with you, too much going on here to get away.

Enjoy.

David

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I have to work in the morning so it won't be until the afternoon before I'm up that way. I don't know what camp just yet - some of it depends on the weather. The guy I'm riding up with and I are thinking 5 or 6, but if the weather forecast isn't too good we may jump ship and hit 2 or 3 so at least we're out there but don't have much to go to get back to the parking lot - its supposed to be hot sunday and the possibility of storms. The temp bothers me the most, close to 90deg. I suppose if it rains that will feel good though.

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    Heads up, there are flood warnings in that area. Site 2 is low level, 3 was closed last time I was there. 4 is up hi but i would hang in the pines up the trail between the site and trail head. might want to stick with 5 or 6 or go to 7-9.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    The water levels weren't bad at all - less than knee deep in the parts I was in.

We ended up at camp 5. I wouldn't mind getting back there again in the future. It was a nice camp. There is water access 1/4 mile to the south (about 70ft descent down/back up the trail). Overall water access wasn't bad. If you compare it to Zaleski and hiking to the sisterns it is about the same process. We filtered and boiled the water. Cooling it was another challenge. We boiled the water this morning/afternoon so when we left we made another trip to the creek to let the bottles sit in the creek to cool off.

From the bridal trail parking we went south and passed up camps 2 and 3, then went north and went past camp 4, then came back south to camp 5. Total mileage was 3.9. Today we started at camp 5 (more or less, the creek crossing is where I started tracking) and went north, then west towards camp 4. Instead of making the left to camp 4 we went right and that took us to the main bridal area where we parked (it is a long/skinny open area about 1/8-1/4 mile long). If you know where the building with all the picnic tables is at the end that is where the trail dumped us out.

The only parts of Mohican I have been in before are Co. Rd 3009 (or whatever it is) on the north end that takes you to the parking spots for camps 7-9 and the bridal trail parking down to camp 2/back up the same way. So it was neat to see more of the park this trip.

I have to say the horse traffic really tears up the trails. That makes it a bit less pleasant to hike on, especially with as wet as it has been, and we had to dodge quite a few "piles" along the routes.

Weather wise I don't think we could have asked for a better weekend to be out considering it is July. No rain/storms, no heavy dew in the morning, the heat/humidity was not too much (it was warm and humid, but I've been stuck in much worse at Zaleski).

I did pack my fly rod for the trek. However, when I got in the other guy's car yesterday I left my pack of flies in my truck. Luckily I realized it when we got to the trail head and left the rod/reel behind (and the weight). I wish I would have brought it, though. There are a few fish in the creek. I have some small flies I have tied that would have caught the fish I saw south of camp 5. I will take a mental note of that one - don't forget the flies next trip. Although, as with a lot of streams - sometimes it is hard to get in them with a big rod. My 4wt (smallest/lightest I have) is 8'6". That will be tricky in the creek, but where I was there south of camp 5 I could manage, as well as the creek all along the trail between camps 2-3.

I did pass another group of backpackers and one had a spinning rod strapped to his pack - so I wasn't the only one this weekend that had the same idea.

• + New Posts