Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Yeti Test -2º

Slept out in the Winter Yeti last eve in -2º and a -22º windchill. The wind was really blowing along with the snow.
    The Yeti kept my back totally warm ... with no pad!! I am thrilled, but I knew it would do the job. Wanted to go minimal in my backyard and used a CCF short pad in the footbox and a piece of Reflectix in the foot of my REI 0º bag. Worked well and my feet were good and warm until about 5:30AM. Then I slipped on my trusty JRB Down Sleeves over my feet and all was well. Used my FishinFinn TopCover again to keep the wind off and blowing snow out. Had a bit of frost over my face and on the bugnet by my head. I expected that.
    Wore balaclava, Possum Down cap, down hood, SmartWool top, light fleece top, REI mid longjohns and light fleece tights, two pair SW socks and wrist warmers.
    As an afterthought I wish I had strung my 1/2 UQ over the footbox but wanted to see what just a pad would do in that kind of cold. I think the 11"x14" piece of Reflectix in the footbox of my sleeping bag worked well ... as far as I can tell. I usually have it to put up under my back or butt to prevent CBS. Did not need it at all with the Yeti as my butt never ever got cold. Whooooo Yeti!
    Shug of the Snug-Snooze
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Nice report Shug!
    I'll throw in a second to "Whooooo Yeti!"
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Slept out in the Winter Yeti last eve in -2º and a -22º windchill. The wind was really blowing along with the snow.
    The Yeti kept my back totally warm ... with no pad!! I am thrilled, but I knew it would do the job. Wanted to go minimal in my backyard and used a CCF short pad in the footbox and a piece of Reflectix in the foot of my REI 0º bag. Worked well and my feet were good and warm until about 5:30AM. Then I slipped on my trusty JRB Down Sleeves over my feet and all was well. Used my FishinFinn TopCover again to keep the wind off and blowing snow out. Had a bit of frost over my face and on the bugnet by my head. I expected that.
    Wore balaclava, Possum Down cap, down hood, SmartWool top, light fleece top, REI mid longjohns and light fleece tights, two pair SW socks and wrist warmers.
    As an afterthought I wish I had strung my 1/2 UQ over the footbox but wanted to see what just a pad would do in that kind of cold. I think the 11"x14" piece of Reflectix in the footbox of my sleeping bag worked well ... as far as I can tell. I usually have it to put up under my back or butt to prevent CBS. Did not need it at all with the Yeti as my butt never ever got cold. Whooooo Yeti!
    Shug of the Snug-Snooze
    I'd third the Yeti Whooooo...
    I like the idea of a piece of reflectix in the footbox...I will try this the next winter opportunity I get.
    Good suggestion
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    DIY Speer type,double 1.7blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    winter pheonix
    Suspension
    webbing
    Shug of the Snug-Snooze
    Wow shug!! My wife looks at me like I'm some kind of crazy nut just for sleeping in my cellar to get used to the hammock in regards to clothing and such. I can't wait to see her reaction when I move it outside to the backyard for further testing then to the piney woods whoa !!!! Your wife ever look at you like that while you test this stuff, or ever go out on the superior hiking trail with you, cause I know mine would do a day hike. Which is fine but I know she wont do a overnighter.

*note to self get an underquilt pronto*

TY

Images
    sweet, good results. i'll have to try the reflective material in the footbox as well

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GOLFER View Post
    Wow shug!! My wife looks at me like I'm some kind of crazy nut just for sleeping in my cellar to get used to the hammock in regards to clothing and such. I can't wait to see her reaction when I move it outside to the backyard for further testing then to the piney woods whoa !!!! Your wife ever look at you like that while you test this stuff, or ever go out on the superior hiking trail with you, cause I know mine would do a day hike. Which is fine but I know she wont do a overnighter.

*note to self get an underquilt pronto*

TY
    I think when your wife looks at you with that WTF look, you are on the right track...of course I have never been married...

this is one of my problems with a hammock. You have to wear to many **** clothes to sleep in. I can't sleep with that much stuff on. Even in my -5° or 15° sleeping bag with just an insulated Big Agnes pad I will only wear a shirt, pants (longjohns) and socks. I do wear a wool hat or toque at times.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    this is one of my problems with a hammock. You have to wear to many **** clothes to sleep in.
    I don't find that I need to wear any additional clothes in my hammock compared to sleeping on the ground at the same temperatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    I don't find that I need to wear any additional clothes in my hammock compared to sleeping on the ground at the same temperatures.
    you might be like Neo but it seems like most on here have a clothes list a mile long they sleep in.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    this is one of my problems with a hammock. You have to wear to many **** clothes to sleep in. I can't sleep with that much stuff on. Even in my -5° or 15° sleeping bag with just an insulated Big Agnes pad I will only wear a shirt, pants (longjohns) and socks. I do wear a wool hat or toque at times.
    Now, now Ewker. Not all of us wear a ton of stuff to sleep. I generally sleep in a mid-weight base layer, balaclava, and wool socks. Always a watch cap to throw on my head if I need it and I generally have a fleece pull-over nearby if needed. I wouldn't change the set-up if I was under a ground tarp or in a tent. No penalty for warmth in a hammock other than the addition of an underquilt, at least not for my style.

When you coming out to Colorado so I can re-educate you (tequilla)?
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast