Suspension
    Straps& dutch clip
    Images
    2 M50 DIY UQ's, one 40 degrees, on 20 degrees
    2 M50 DIY TQ's, one 45 degrees, one 30 degrees
    DIY gathered end hammock, one long, one short
    DIY modified fronkey bugnet
    TI giga power stove and a alcohol stove
    550 ml TI cup for the fire pit, 450ml ti cup for the stove(s)
    Montbell ul pullover
    Ul insulated vest
    Zpacks Cuben hammock tarp
    Poncho
    Zpacks hat
    Steripen
    A 25 l and a 55 l pack
    Last edited by Captn; 07-13-2013 at 20:17. Reason: Mistake
    Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage
    William Shakespeare

"Insert witty and intelligent statement here"

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    wookie
    Suspension
    whoopies

If you lost all your gear and had to start from scratch.

I would start out with a bias camper Xl with bugnet , wilderness logics tadpole 12' tarp and jrb quilts. I've sold all the other quilts and hammocks except for wbbb xlc Clark nx250, tarps I also still have are big mamajama and superfly's. I've recently seriously downsized my gear and made things much simpler.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I'd probably DIY my hammock again, but exchange my big tarp (vertex) for a superfly. I do like my vertex tarp, but I think it is a little heavier and bulkier than it needs to be.
    The mountains are calling
    and I must go...

-John Muir

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Keeping in mind that I motorcycle camp there is not a whole bunch I would change.

Hammock: I am very happy with my HH bottom entry. I am considering having the zipper mod done over the winter but would buy the HH again. For a quick day walk I also have an ENO double which I would replace with a DIY tablecloth if I was starting over.

Tarp: BCUSA 10x10 which I am very happy with. It packs small enough to suit me on the bike, has lots of tie outs if I really need to go to ground, and works well over my HH or ENO. I also have a Kelty Noah 12x12. For what I use it for it is perfect. I use it as a general cover for table/eating area and in cold/heavy blowing rain I can batten down doors on it. If I was backpacking I would, however, replace both of these with lighter items.

Cook Kit: I have too many to name but my current favorite is the MSR StowAway 1.1L. which I would not replace. Everything fits inside it except my Honey Stove. I use a Trangia stove with Honey Stove (wood burner) as a holder/wind screen.

Quilts: JRB The Nest is perfect for the HH which is what I have. I have a DIY top down quilt which if I was doing over would get more down. For the summer I use PLUQ and one on the top so I am happy there. The PL is very versatile. If I have to go to ground, I have no issues with using it there and if it gets nasty, toss it in the washer and dryer. I am sure if I was hiking, I would do something different just for weight/compression.

Bottom line is because I do motocamping there is very little I would change. If I was hiking 90% of this gear would get replaced by lighter and more compressible gear. I would also add that I have went through a lot of gear and PIF items to get this happy with what I have. I suspect if you asked me tomorrow, I would have a different answer and want something else because I am a gearaholic

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest... So far
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Cheeseburgers
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by swankfly View Post
    I hate these threads, but I will read every post and it will end up costing me dearly.
    I hear ya brother
    "Think Outside the Tent"

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    From a hammock perspective, I would have 3:

WB Ridge Runner, DIY BB clone, and DIY BB Clone with a fabric cover instead of a net. I live in a dry climate, and when sleeping in a hammock I lay on my back with my mouth open... in anything less than 70 degree nights, I wake with a mummified tongue and have a sore throat for a week. . . So, basically, I have a cover for all my hammocks. . .

Love my superfly. It'd be nice to have something lighter and smaller, too...

I live in a dry climate, and when sleeping in a hammock I lay on my back with my mouth open... in anything less than 70 degree nights, I wake with a mummified tongue and have a sore throat for a week. . . So, basically, I have a cover for all my hammocks. . .

UQ: DIY 3/4 Down, and a PLUQ. I love my KAQ Lost river, though. . . might have to have that too...

The rest of my gear? I am ambivalent on how I cook. Local mountains are mostly no fire zones, so if it's just me, anything that heats is ok. for a bigger group, I like my whisper lite . . . heck, i'd just like to get out.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DH 11' Freebird
    Tarp
    Kelty 9x9
    Insulation
    DIY Poncho/GoLite
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle Strap
    Images
    OK now who's pay'n for all this Hummmmmmmm, let me see.

I'd stay with my WB Superfly tarp as it's a solid piece of kit.

Move on to a WB Ridge Runner as I have found that I am a "bridge fan" but need a little more room that I have in my J's RB BMBH UL.

Would never replace my HG Incubator UQ and would probably replace my TQ with a HG unit too, or maybe a Yeti.

Being a motorcycle camper my cook kit is as small and efficient as I like it so nothing new there, unless I changed it all to titanium.
    ~Adventure Before Dementia~

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Originally I stated I would just DIY if had to start over again but if I was to start over and buy a hammock instead; the hammock I would buy would be by www.dream-hammock.com, the Thunderbird model. For me its the perfect hammock. The temp ranges here in VA can vary quite abit. So having a removable top cover and bugnet is perfect.
    In the evolution of my DIY hammocks, the most recent one has similar features to it and my next one will be almost exactly like it. Hence the reason for why I would pick that one if I had to start over and buy a hammock. Just wish my stitching looked as good as theirs. lol

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I'd rebuy my Superfly 3 times if i had to. Like others said:: don't skimp on a tarp. You can sleep in a 100 different hammocks but if you get wet it doesn't matter if you are in the Taj Mahal, you are going to be unhappy. A tarp with doors is a must in New England where I live.
    I love my Hammock gear under and overquilts. Wouldn't even consider buying another brand. I'm cold at 65 and live where that is the average Summer night temp, and camp year-round. It is possible if i have the right gear. Plus you can talk to the very people who are making them. I like that a lot. They have a wonderful business model :0)

I have been very impressed by my Papa Smurf winter sock- it was noticeably warmer inside.
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    1) A couple of really big spools of thread (one heavy duty and the other medium, both black polyester)

2) A bunch (at least 10 yards) of 1.1 oz. uncoated black rip stop nylon

3) 10 yards DWR 1.9 rip stop, olive drab or similar

4) 10 yards 1.3 oz. silnylon in same muted colors

5) 10 yards Climashield 5.0 Apex

6) 50' black 7/64" Amsteel

7) 150' zing it

8) 25' black 1/8" shock cord

9) 18 micro barrel locks

10) 20 micro line tensioners, no knot version

11) chicken stock & tomato cans to make modified Penny Wood stove

12) beg for a couple of old Heiniken cans to make Penny Alcohol stove

13) large piece of foil for windscreen and to convert to oven

14) small Nivea can and make up removal pads & petrolium jelly for fire starters

15) insulated foor jar, 8-12 oz

16) 1 - 2 qt. pot with lid depending on the number in the trek crew

17) New pair of Danner light hikers

18) Several new pair "Darn Tough" socks

ok, I think I'm done...
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast