Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Congrats on sticking it out and doing your first solo. It had to be a tough decision to make with your friend leaving, but you made a good decision to stay an extra night and build your confidence.

I've done the majority of my trips solo, namely because if you have to work with everyone's schedule, my trips would be few and far between. I was nervous on my first overnight (Pinckney Rec Area-Blind Lake) and so was my family when I announced my plans...The key is building up and gaining confidence in your abilities and having an exit strategy is something goes wrong (cell phone, if there's coverage, going to well traveled area where you know they'll be others, etc).

Glad you enjoyed your trip. N. Manitou is incredible! When I went there 2 years ago, I got the worst case of poison ivy known to mankind.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    OES Ultra
    Insulation
    Under Ground Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Outstanding! I admire your fortitude. What a rush to go beyond your comfort level, just keep going.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Way to go hanging in there solo)))))) Whooooo Betty!
    Wanna see those pictures though...they are not showing on my end.
    Shug

+1 Would love to see the pics.

Hammock
    Darien 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I do beleive that 3club and Lakesuppior777 were on the island the same time as you. Glad you stuck it out.
    Its a proven fact that 78.4% of all statstics are made up on the spot.

Stone's Videos

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Awesome!

The photos are live, the links just have an extra "http" in them. A little more work for us to view at the moment

http://http//i1174.photobucket.com/a...y/DSCF0053.jpg

should be...

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/...y/DSCF0053.jpg

Hammock
    Dutch netless wide
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    Quote Originally Posted by adventuregirl View Post
    A friend and I went to North Manitou this past week. The forecast said rain just about every day, so I decided that although I am trying to be more lightweight this was not the trip to start. I packed an extra big blue Walmart tarp to store our gear. I also packed more clothes than usual because I can not handle wet. I was glad that I did this because it rained a good thunder storm Sunday night from about 2 AM until 12 noon the next day. Here is a picture of our camp. After the rain we went for a day hike and enjoyed some great views of Lake Michigan. None of my pictures from that day turned out because it was to overcast. We came back to our camp and hung out and had supper. The weather was nice, but very overcast. The next day we went for another day hike to Stormer Camp and looked at all the old cars. It was really neat. On our way back my friend started complaining about how long a hike it was being and how much longer would it be? I told her it was a three mile hike and left it at that. When we got to the village area we rested and had about a mile or so back to our camp site. She then dropped a bombshell on me and announced she was going home the next day and she had already texted a friend who was going to pick her up.... So now I had a choice to make. Do I go home on Wednesday three days early? Or do I stay there by myself? I have never been on a solo hike before, because my husband and my mom don't think its a good idea. I respect this, although I don't agree with it, I need outside and sometimes nobody can do big trips.... but I digress... I decided to call my husband and see what he thought. He wasn't excited about the idea of me being alone, but since he knew how important this trip was to me, he left it up to me. I decided to compromise and come home on Thursday. He had Friday off of work and would worry all day about me. So Wednesday I packed up with my friend and headed North on the Island for my first over night trip alone I hiked about a mile or so on this little unmaintained trail, before deciding to stop and set up my camp. I would have went further, but there was tons of logs and my pack was really heavy....I just pictured my self spraining an ankle or worse and hearing "I told you so" After setting up my camp I headed further down the trail loosing the trail at times, and climbing over numerous logs. I knew I had made the right choice. I saw an eagle. I didn't get a good picture of him though. But I did get this picture of a great view of Lake Michigan I eventually ended up loosing my trail all together and went down to the beach where I ate my lunch and hiked back on the beach. I arrived back at my camp read my book for a while, and then had my supper. I was hoping for some good stargazing but it was still to overcast. I went to sleep and woke up to this most spectacular sunrise I raced down to the beach to get some better pictures After watching the sun rise I packed up my camp and headed to the village dock to wait for my ferry. It was a good trip, and although it was disappointing being cut short I got to do a solo trip, and proved I can stay safe so maybe more are in my future.... We will have to wait and see. And I loved not having a tent and didn't miss it at all!
    There All Better! sorry about that... After I posted I didn't have time to fix it, then I had to work... and now is the first time I had time to sit down and figure out what was wrong, but the pictures should show up now

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    One of my favorite places to go. So relaxing! I think your friend did you a favor by bailing and giving you the experience of a solo. It really is a pretty safe place to do a solo. No weirdoes can drive up and find you, no animals to deal with and you can't really get lost seeing that it's an island . The beaches just south of the dock are gorgeous, great swimming, beautiful sun rises and require no effort to get to. Peace and relative solitude for the midwest. Glad you enjoyed it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    It looks like the ferry stops early October. Is this right? Bunch of pansies! I would love to go here late October or early November.

Hammock
    Dutch netless wide
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    From the way I understand the ferry schedule, it will still run in October and possibly later, they just won't have a set schedule. Weather up there is no joke, and it sounds like they go by the weather in the fall. If you want to go that late in the season, you need to call them directly, and see if the weather is good enough, those waters they go over have the most shipwrecks in Lake Michigan.... If a ferry company that has been going to the island for over 50 years say the water is to rough I respect this . They also may be more Lilly to do a trip in the late season if a big enough group wanted to go... Like maybe a big group of hammock hangers???

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by adventuregirl View Post
    .... Like maybe a big group of hammock hangers???
    Sounds good A-girl.
    If only we can get some folks to reserve tickets... (inside joke)

Thanks for the pics (finally)

Funniest manitou story is when I was explaining a trip there to a (non-camping) friend and she has this puzzled look..."so....where do you get your water???"

"ummm..its an island..it is sorrounded by water."

oms, when did you take that pic? cool colors.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast