Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor

Easiest Bug Net Ever?

Will it work?

Having torn up two attempts at a tulle net, not satisfied with a military surplus one (too heavy), and needing a break from the UQ project, I made a bug net with nano-see-um from Zpacks.

It seems to me that the hardest part of a bug net is getting in and out of it. I read somewhere that mosquitoes are too dumb to attack from below. The military one I used on a trip to Arkansas and in the yard for several nights seemed to confirm that. If that is true then I've put together a very easy bug net: sewed up three sides with tiny holes for UCR suspension at the top corners, left the bottom open, and sides square to the world. That leaves enough opening to simply lift the net up to get out. It could also be tied up completely to the SRL.

Am I going to be bug bait?

Last edited by MDSH; 07-14-2013 at 08:20.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    I hope your not, because that is my plan for a "screen room" under my tarp.

Normal skeeter beeter tech isn't getting the job done and I want to not only sleep, but also hangout under my tarp. Especially since the rain has been unrelenting these past many weeks.

Looking forward to your updates.

I much prefer the sock style bugnet that i've made similar to papasmurfs design.

What I did was get two pieces of noseeum fabric a bit longer than my hammock and sewed the top ridge seam together.

Next I figured out about what angle my hammock rests at and from one corner made a diagonal cut to conform to my hammock leaving a little bit of flat edge to hem a channel in to insert some draw cord.

After the cut I laid the fabric out flat and hemmed each end to create the draw cord channels at the head and foot end. The foot end was only a few inches while the head end I left with no angular cut and had a long hem channel for the draw stiring.

Once that was done I sewed up the seams on the angle then the bottom and fed the draw cords through each end.

This is the rough shape of the bugnet (upside down but you get the idea)

When Im not in the hammock I bunch it all up at the foot end of my hammock, then when I get in I pull it up over my butt like a pair of pants then up over my head and cinch it closed with a cordlock.

Getting in and out is really easy, I thought pulling it up over my head and cinching it while in the hammock would be problematic but it was pretty easy. No added weight of zippers and it leaves the option open to lay/sit in my hammock with or without the bugnet over me or in the way.

The other nice thing about it is that I can just leave it insalled on the hammock and pack it all up together in the same stuffsack.

Last edited by Hammonkey; 07-13-2013 at 18:55.

Hammock
    GT Ultralight/DIY Double layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon tarp
    Insulation
    JCP Puffer UQ
    Suspension
    straps and static
    Like your design, another diy project i'm going to make happen when I have the funds. I feel I should have one for my setup since the Mid-Atlantic is riddled with no-see'ums...
    It's not the glide in the ride, it's the swing in the sling...

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammonkey View Post
    I much prefer the sock style bugnet that i've made similar to papasmurfs design.
    Yes, my weather sock is made like that and I thought about it for this application but using magnetic snaps to close the end. But this is so light and easy, having no shock cords or closures at all.

We'll see how this works early next week when we expect rain and I'm sure mosquitoes will hatch.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    I hope your not, because that is my plan for a "screen room" under my tarp.

Normal skeeter beeter tech isn't getting the job done and I want to not only sleep, but also hangout under my tarp. Especially since the rain has been unrelenting these past many weeks.

Looking forward to your updates.
    You've given me an idea.

Ayup, it works.

Last edited by MDSH; 07-13-2013 at 19:17.
    Mike

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Well, I heard no screaming objections so into the Permethrin bath it went.

Mike

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    The netting on the ground allows creepy crawlies to climb in. Not good in tick or spider country. Also in a muddy area, I see the netting getting wet and dirty.
    Netting does more than keep just skeeters out.
    Your design will work. But it can be improved upon by simply adding a cinch cord to the bottom. Once in the net, cinch it up around the bottom of the hammock.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Gargoyle echoed (or preceeded!) my thoughts exactly.

Ticks and spiders will find it hospitable while skeeters will hate it.

That said, I still love the simplicity!

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    The netting on the ground allows creepy crawlies to climb in. Not good in tick or spider country. Also in a muddy area, I see the netting getting wet and dirty.
    Netting does more than keep just skeeters out.
    Your design will work. But it can be improved upon by simply adding a cinch cord to the bottom. Once in the net, cinch it up around the bottom of the hammock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Funny Money View Post
    Gargoyle echoed (or preceeded!) my thoughts exactly.

Ticks and spiders will find it hospitable while skeeters will hate it.

That said, I still love the simplicity!
    That makes sense!

And it would be easy to do. I've got some very light and thin spectra cord that would work and not add much weight. Un-cinched it could fall down for that screen room effect. Thanks, guys!

Mike

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast