Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Howdy! From East Texas

Hello everyone! I am a wife and mother of two teenage girls who has always loved to camp and wanted to take it a step farther. I have been lurking and reading up on everything I need to know to begin collecting everything I need and I must say it is a little overwhelming. I went with the advice I found on here and have started collecting low-end beginner gear to see if this is for me. I may have to get a second job (teaching is my first) to support this hobby! We took a preliminary hang in the back 40 but it is awefully hot here in Texas this time of year. Hope to have it all to take our first weekend hike in Nov. Look forward to learning more and making new friends.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end tablecloth
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Pheonix 20
    Suspension
    Ready Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by JameyJack View Post
    Hello everyone! I am a wife and mother of two teenage girls who has always loved to camp and wanted to take it a step farther. I have been lurking and reading up on everything I need to know to begin collecting everything I need and I must say it is a little overwhelming. I went with the advice I found on here and have started collecting low-end beginner gear to see if this is for me. I may have to get a second job (teaching is my first) to support this hobby! We took a preliminary hang in the back 40 but it is awefully hot here in Texas this time of year. Hope to have it all to take our first weekend hike in Nov. Look forward to learning more and making new friends.
    Welcome to the forums JameyJack!! I too am new to the forums here and a Tejasian. There is actually an event here in Texas coming up this Friday. You can read about it here:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=71455

Billy

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    C'mon down to the Butt Bake. We'll have lots of different set ups including low end and DIY stuff.

Might get a little crazy after dark, though-------

Howdy! From East Texas

I saw it and thought I might be the wrong gender. I didn't want to crash the man party!

Howdy! From East Texas

I also don't have everything yet. Still need tarps and backpacks. I'm steadily getting it together though!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

Howdy! From East Texas

Welcome from Utah!
    Go Tigers!

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Howdy and welcome to the trees from College Station!

Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    C'mon down to the Butt Bake. We'll have lots of different set ups including low end and DIY stuff.

Might get a little crazy after dark, though-------
    By crazy it's more fun crazy than scary.

There will be lots of set ups there so it would be worth a trip just for the "show and tell" factor.

In addition to several DIY set ups and cottage industry products there will be some "store bought" stuff too I'm sure.

I saw it and thought I might be the wrong gender. I didn't want to crash the man party!
    It's hard to be considered a party crasher when sargevining, the guy who started it, invited you. As for the man party aspect, I am pretty sure everyone there has a mother, some of us have daughters and many of us have wives so at some point some learned a level of respect. As for you and yours to consider if you haven't done any backpacking is that it is a primitive area with no porcelain facilities.

Not everyone is participating in the backpack portion so even if you are not hikining in it might be worth the trip for a car camp overnighter intro to hammock camping.

I also don't have everything yet. Still need tarps and backpacks. I'm steadily getting it together though!
    Several of us have spare parts and are willing to loan out stuff so consider that an option as well.

Howdy! From East Texas

Well thanks fellas. Now I feel welcome! I know sometimes men just need to go off into the woods and howl at the moon and bringing a teenage girl I was being cautious. I will have to rearrange my schedule and let y'all know!

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Hi and Welcome!
    Also, I also noted today that the Wanna-Bes are attending the butt bake. They are a husband a wife team, who were nuts enough to join us 12/29/2012 when we hiked and hung on Lake Texoma....it was 18 Degrees that morning! So, there is at least one other lady in attendance already.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Please don't take the good natured banter and witty reparte in the Butt Bake thread as a true indication of its nature. What you will find is a group of folks who are funny, courteous, goofy, eager to show new folks the ropes, engaging in a good deal of inside jokes and mildly crude humor, willing to give you the shirt off thier backs, and a few of them a bit tipsy after 10 PM.

In other words, its like a family reunion wihtout the arguments about whether or not to put crazy Aunt Mable into a home. Instead we have arguments over whether or not to put Spaceweaseal into a home.

Watch out for the cookie coons, though. Bring jelly beans.

I have a pack I can loan out if you need. Its a bit on the heavy side, but should work OK. I think I can also throw together a cook kit for you. I'm pretty sure that a couple of the other guys will be able to do the same. Most of us bring extra gear for just this kind of happenstance.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast