Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles

JH is on the way...

So what do I do now? Is there anything I need to know about this hammock? What suspension works best with it? I've seen pics using sticks as spreader bars on the netting. Would old arrow shafts work better? Is the diamond tarp good enough or will I need an upgrade? Figure 9's? Can I attach a structural ridgeline? Sorry for all the questions, but this is my first hammock. I have pads up the wazoo. Thermarest, Big Agnes, Wally World blue foam, full length, 3/4... I'm just looking for any basic help or tips I can get.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BlackBird!!!!
    Tarp
    BIG FLY (3x4m.)
    Insulation
    SnugFit & JRB HR
    Images

Claytor JH?

Fist off are you talking about a Claytor JH? If so.......

Quote Originally Posted by optimator View Post
    Is there anything I need to know about this hammock? What suspension works best with it?
    The stock suspension is horrible. I don't care what anyone else says about it. It will stretch to the point that your butt will be on the ground the next morning, and it will get you wet. Sure if you spend all day learning how to tie a thousand knots in it you might stay dry. Why bother?

The first thing that I would do is go to Strapworks.com and order a Simple Sling in 1 inch seatbelt webbing with a 1 inch loop at each end. 20 feet long and then cut it in half. There are your two lengths of webbing for $9.66 + shipping.
    http://www.strapworks.com/Strapworks...ng_p/hss1s.htm

Then go to rei.com and get 4 SMC Rappel Rings for a ring buckle system. $11.60 + shipping. Done.
    http://www.rei.com/product/471123

I've seen pics using sticks as spreader bars on the netting. Would old arrow shafts work better?
    No! Arrow shafts will not work better. If you are camping and you cant find a stick then something is wrong. Why carry something extra when you don't have to. Now having said that I have strait arrow shafts and I made some collapsible arrow shafts......... sure they are nice and fun, but I'm sticking to a stick, pun intended.

Is the diamond tarp good enough or will I need an upgrade? Figure 9's? Can I attach a structural ridgeline?
    The diamond tarp is good if you set it up just right. I also have the BIG FLY (3x4m.). Both are good and have their own uses. In a bad rain I would like to be under the Big Fly. Room to cook and chill. The diamond tarp is only going to keep the hammock dry.

Figure 9's are great! I don't know what I would do with out them (Tie a lot of knots I guess) I have them on all 4 of my tieouts. I like to attach the figure 9's directly to the tarp. I think that makes things nice and easy.

I don't know anything about a ridgeline with this hammock. I have never felt any reason to add one. Seems to be nice to sleep in with a medium amount of sag. Not hard to set up at all.

I love my Claytor JH and I camp in it every chance I get. Check out my gallery for tons of pictures of mine set up in all kinds of places.

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    Switchback Diamond
    Insulation
    Polar Pod
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images
    Optimator, the Claytor JH is a great hammock, and should serve you well. There are a number of suspension systems that will work and the choice is personal based on your preferences. I would start with a visit to to Just Jeff's site and a search of the forum info. I prefer pre made spreaders to save time with set up. The diamond tarp that comes with the JH is sufficient for most all weather conditions and is large enough for cooking and lounging in bad weather.I have been through some horrendous weather in mine over the last 3 years and am constantly amazed at how well it works. You may want to consider another tarp for serious hardcore winter camping--something like the Speer winter tarp or one one of the Jack's winter tarps. As for straps, I would consider ordering them from Speer Hammocks as he will sew the loops for you and I would have them made 12 ft. long. Again, a lot depends on your style of camping. Half the fun of hammock camping is that it is still evolving, even though hammocks, in one form or another, have been around for thousands of years. Beware of "instant experts" and decide whats best for you and test your system at home before you take to the woods.--John

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    So what do I do now? Is there anything I need to know about this hammock? What suspension works best with it? I've seen pics using sticks as spreader bars on the netting. Would old arrow shafts work better? Is the diamond tarp good enough or will I need an upgrade? Figure 9's? Can I attach a structural ridgeline? Sorry for all the questions, but this is my first hammock. I have pads up the wazoo. Thermarest, Big Agnes, Wally World blue foam, full length, 3/4... I'm just looking for any basic help or tips I can get.
    here are some pics of my claytor jungle hammock in actionneo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Just got it! This thing is as new, thanks Preacha Man! Of course, a monsoon rolled in about the same time my hammock did But I decided I'm not gonna set it up until I get the new suspension made for it anyways. I can get the poly strap local, and steel rings from Lowes. But I'm leaning towards the cinch buckle system & will have to order them. Anyways, it's here!

Hammock
    WarBonnet BlackBird!!!!
    Tarp
    BIG FLY (3x4m.)
    Insulation
    SnugFit & JRB HR
    Images

cinch buckles

Just got it! This thing is as new, thanks Preacha Man! Of course, a monsoon rolled in about the same time my hammock did But I decided I'm not gonna set it up until I get the new suspension made for it anyways. I can get the poly strap local, and steel rings from Lowes. But I'm leaning towards the cinch buckle system & will have to order them. Anyways, it's here!
    I have been thinking about trying some cinch buckles. Let us know how it works out. And please post some pics :-)

-Rice!

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Ok, here's the setup I used with the cinch buckles.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WarBonnet BlackBird!!!!
    Tarp
    BIG FLY (3x4m.)
    Insulation
    SnugFit & JRB HR
    Images
    Looks good.
    Seems like a lot of distance from the buckle to the hammock.

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by ricegravy View Post
    Looks good.
    Seems like a lot of distance from the buckle to the hammock.
    Yeah, I don't like it either. I believe what I'm going to do is make the buckle adapters like on Just Jeff's site. Then I'll connect them with rope thru the channel on the hammock. I also don't like the way the ends bunch up with it set up like this.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ricegravy View Post
    I have been thinking about trying some cinch buckles. Let us know how it works out. And please post some pics :-)

-Rice!
    Cinch buckles work great. Once the buckle is properly set.....it's set. I tried the rings and had them slip a few times. Always had to back them up with a simple knot. If you have to back it up with a knot why bother.

Miguel

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast